Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of stripping my rendition of Drac Mac Syro for the third time... Trying to accomplish something like this but with metalics...
http://www.rackham-store.com/boutique_us/fiche_produit.cfm?ref=FRBALV01&code_lg=lg_us&type=244&num=9

I went out and got some expensive (Golden) metalics cause I'm pretty unconfidant in my nmm ability. Mixed some blue/green in with the silver to get that same color...Man is it GAUDY! I'm trying to make myself finish the whole thing before I let myself decide to strip it. Is it dumb to strip the same model over and over till you get a paintjob you like? Its easy to look at the little unpainted metal mini and say to yourself..."Its not THAT detailed...no problem" till you start getting in there with a brush. I cant even see the eyeball nevermind try and paint it like they did.. sheesh. How in the heck do they do it? I can't even do it with a #18/0 which is SMALLER than a pin.

Man...

I'd post pics but I'll most likely strip it before I get a chance to use my friend camera.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I cant see anything wrong with striping your model. Still maybe you shod paint the parts you think is hardest first, then if you are not happy you don’t have to strip the hole miniature.
Still I don’t think you shod aim to high. How many models have you painted?
I think its better if you just paint this guy up as good as you can then get a new model.

As for the eye, there is two ways to do it. Paint the eye globe white then do the black in the middle. I use a pin or a small brush 0/5 or something, it don’t have to be that small.
I paint the white globe on a dark background (dark brown) so I get some small lines around the eye. Don’t have to tinned out paint when you do this.

The other way is to paint the hole eye black then paint the white globe at the left and the right of the black. I find this harder most of the time.

And remember don’t get white all around the black, there shod only be white on the left and the right.

Try this a fie times before you paint the rest of the model.

I don’t know if you have trouble with everything on the model or just the eye. If its everything then you just am to high.

Keep it up and you get better :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the pep talk...I needed one I guess. Sorry to rant but I was getting really mad.

As for how many I've painted..Not counting the ones I did as a kid about a decade ago. Hm.. I've done 6 Genestealers, 3 infestation markers and a hive node all from the macragge set so far. And this guy. I know thats not many...maybe I am setting my sights too high for now. Im gonna look into getting a magnifying lens of somekind. Maybe a jewelers hat thingy with the flip down lens...........

I kinda did a copout on the eyes, just did some warpaint type stuff instead. I'll see if my friend can bring his camera when he comes over on tuesday to play the Doom boardgame w/me. :w00t:

I'd be happy if all the minis were the size of Wolfen.. Hehe.

I'll have to see about getting some pins. The 18/0 I have is almost too small to see though and I couldn't get paint on the eye without covering the whole thing everytime I tried. I finished it up though, maybe do some finishing touches after I seal it and get it mounted on the base I did. Trying to do one of those cork jobs with sand over it.

·
LO Zealot
1,082 Posts
As far as frustration due to painting, I'd say paint it the best as you can. And leave it be for now, work on something new, your brain needs to release some inner tension haha.

Then come back to him sometime later, and say "you know what sucker, I'm back, and I'm going to STRIP you and paint you much better! mwhahah"

I dont know.. I'd just move on heh.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Hmm, I may be going insane, but it sounds like you are trying to mix metalics and non-metalics, this is not a particularly easey thing to do, tradidtionally with arcrylics cerain colours do not mix (for example yellow and white) this however is fine with modern acrylics but still dubious about metalic and non-metalic mixing, I have had a number of very odd effects, if you want coloured metlics I would use ink washes over the top of the actual matalic paint job

·
Thread Killer!
2,642 Posts
NonstickRon said:
Thanks for the pep talk...I needed one I guess. Sorry to rant but I was getting really mad.

As for how many I've painted..Not counting the ones I did as a kid about a decade ago. Hm.. I've done 6 Genestealers, 3 infestation markers and a hive node all from the macragge set so far. And this guy. I know thats not many...maybe I am setting my sights too high for now. Im gonna look into getting a magnifying lens of somekind. Maybe a jewelers hat thingy with the flip down lens...........

I kinda did a copout on the eyes, just did some warpaint type stuff instead. I'll see if my friend can bring his camera when he comes over on tuesday to play the Doom boardgame w/me. :w00t:

I'd be happy if all the minis were the size of Wolfen.. Hehe.

I'll have to see about getting some pins. The 18/0 I have is almost too small to see though and I couldn't get paint on the eye without covering the whole thing everytime I tried. I finished it up though, maybe do some finishing touches after I seal it and get it mounted on the base I did. Trying to do one of those cork jobs with sand over it.
I do my eyes using a 000 windsor and newton series 7 brush. Really anything smaller and the paint dries on the brush before you get it to the model. The big key here I think is practice. It sounds like you haven't done very many figures and the ones you have done were alien/colorful and now you are moving on to something new. The more you do the better you will become. If you post some pictures I can make some more specific comments.

Cheers,

-Mike

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah...I was having problems with the Folkart silver getting wierd when I tried to thin it, thats why I went out and bought some Golden metalic paints. I used a tiny touch of Golden Fluid Acrylic "Phthalo Green (Blue Shade)" on a popsicle stick and mixed it about 1:1 with water. It mixed up great. Golden paints are amazing. Course, 4 colors cost me $23 yesterday at Micheals 50% off sale...hehe

I think part of my problem was I was trying to finish him at 3AM with a 2 liter of coke in me. :wacko:

Thanks for the encouragement comrades! I love you all!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
slorak said:
If you post some pictures I can make some more specific comments.
Cool. I'll have till tomorrow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts