Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

So I've not played for years but I'm trying to put together a very fluffy army mostly as a fun hobby but I'd like to get good games out of it as well. While I have read the new rules I have no idea how 5th edition works in practice.

I was originally planning to have a balanced force with some armour but, if anything, an emphasis on infantry. However, having read through these forums a bit it seems like a lot of people are going mechanised, packing out a few chimeras with veteran squads wielding close ranged weapons and spearheading it with tanks and it got me thinking. ATM I only have the support weapons; some sentinels, demolisher and a chimera so it's still open whether I go mech or balanced.

Basically what I am wondering is how much variety you think a combined arms force will have when compared to a fully mobile one. If I get a load of infantry am I dooming myself to always forming a gunline? On the other hand does a mobile force have to always immediately race to the enemy positions to use their deadly close range melta weapons?

I am looking to build a force that can fight in lots of cool and different ways, even if it means I loose a bit more than average, so which will give more good fun varied games? Mech or balanced? :soldier:

Cheers guys,
Korona

·
1,648 Posts
You don't have to conform one way or the other. I find that hybrid lists are the most effective and I always take a platoon to compliment the vets in chimeras.

·
1,053 Posts
One of the must fun games i ever had was with my Armored Company. At the same time though it was the worst. I had set up 6 tanks vs a space marine player. Seeing all that armor was just sweet. I was also very excited to try it out. I was doing so well by round 3 he was down too 12 marines and 5 assault termies and I still had all my tanks. My Hell Hound was inferno cannon destroyed and my 1 Chirma was with out the mulit-laser. Thats when I knew it kind of sucked because all he could do was watch me roll over his army and he couldn't do nothing about it.

So Armored Company is the must fun but It really has to do with what you facing and if you opponent can give you a challange. Otherwise, I play Grav-chute Troopers with some tank support.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Balance has nothing to do with whether you're mech or not. The dichotomy you're talking about is mech or Hybrid (Tanks + Foot Infantry).

A Balanced army is one that can reliably handle all threats it is likely to face. Thus any list (Mech, Hybrid, or Foot) can be balanced or can be unbalanced towards a single type of threat to the exclusion of others.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ah yeah good point, I am assuming I can find a force of either that can be fairly versatile, although I am worried that for footsloggers versatility means falling back on a big defensive gun line. I'd be interested to know what kind of tactical range your mech force offers compared to one with more of a footslogger focus. Is the mobility really key or is it just more a case of being a creative player?

I don't want to feel I am always using these guys in the same way, but maybe I am just being paranoid. I used to play a fantasy Dwarf army and they basically just sit on a hill and shoot at stuff. It's one of the most boring armies in the game and I want to avoid collecting another static army at all costs.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
I really think it's in the list writing itself. If your list compromises of lots of repetitive units it will be boring no matter what it is, mech or hybrid or infantry. Taking a good selection of units (but still having redundancy so it's competetive) is probably your best bet for an interesting game for you and your oppoent.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Believe me, I've been there. I played Dwarves in Fantasy and gunline guard for years.

Movement is key in 5th Ed 40K, and Mech IG offers a LOT of mobility. With it, you can rush in to kill the enemy, or stand back and shoot them as they advance. Or you can play Eldar games and stay just out of reach using Valks and Vendettas.

It's a LOT of fun compared to the old days of guard gunlines. :)

·
Registered
961 Posts
What I've found is that in the process of collecting the models I want for lists, and models that simply look cool, I've collected enough to field a massive variety of lists - Gunline, Penal Legion, Mechanized, whatever. Changing it up every game keeps things interesting, even if one list isn't particularly effective - my opponents don't get to change theirs up as much, so it keeps it fun for them too. One day they're facing 3 Penal Legion Squads backed up by a platoon and sentinels, the next they're facing veterans in chimeras backed up by a Demolisher or Russ.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well for fluff reasons I'd like to keep pretty much the same force from battle to battle. I want to spend quite a lot of time customising and personalising the models to represent specific people so the core of the force needs to be basically fixed. That's why it's important to me that I get a force that is going to give good games regardless of what I'm fighting. There is wriggle room of course but the solid base a mech force offers is pretty appealing atm.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
What I've found is that in the process of collecting the models I want for lists, and models that simply look cool, I've collected enough to field a massive variety of lists - Gunline, Penal Legion, Mechanized, whatever. Changing it up every game keeps things interesting, even if one list isn't particularly effective - my opponents don't get to change theirs up as much, so it keeps it fun for them too. One day they're facing 3 Penal Legion Squads backed up by a platoon and sentinels, the next they're facing veterans in chimeras backed up by a Demolisher or Russ.
Truer words were never spoken...I write a new list for every game. As for mech versus hybrid...the difference is transports, right? Well, if you have the models for a 2k mech list, you also have an 1850 hybrid list on your hands...and 1750....and 1500.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I just had some dull git of a staffer at the local GW store tell me how boring mech IG armies are and how noone could possibly have any fun playing them. I guess this project is over then :silly:

·
Registered
961 Posts
Boring? Naaaaaah. Just gotta like tanks.:soldier:

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well when I went in there were a couple of kids painting their units and him all hunched over the painting table in complete silence. He defiantly had it in for mech troops though, perhaps he had been tank-shocked :D

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Lol yeah tbh the conversation was pretty hilarious, I told him I liked the idea of a dynamic game and he said "hmph till you run into another mech IG force". What a misery. The idea of tank on tank action sounds so awesome to me *dribble*, anyway yeah before I spend quite a bit of money, is the forgeworld stuff worth the price of admission - i.e. is the high cost a coolness tax or are the models better quality?

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Mech is far from boring and i mean FAR. Sometimes it's boring to play against as tanks are so dang hard to kill but a game with lots of movement is always more interesting than one played stationary. (That can be said for both infantry and tanks mind you)

One of the best games i ever played was my Mech Marine force against a Mech Tau force over a huge, 4 tank hulls across, bridge. Much tanky death and much cover and ramming.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.