Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i gave a carnafex a weapon with strength as creature minus 2 and toxin sacs, then surely the str of the weapon would be 9 and not 8, although i left my codex at home so i dont actually
i'll modifie this with more when i get home.

·
850 Posts
Hate to tell you, the toxican sacs won't do crap to the carnifex's strength since it is 10, so when we give him the barb strangler you are talking about will still be strength 8, sorry it would be better to give him a venom cannon or my personal favorite scythe talons and rending claws. But the toxican sacs won't work for the carnifex.

·
Registered
163 Posts
well really if your making a fex it has strenght 9 and you have to give it toxin sacs to make it 10. and you cant have the same morph twice and you catn go over 10point for any stat.

XG

·
850 Posts
that works too, i just said rending claws for what the Carnifex is known for the Tyranids, the Tank Killer and what better weapon to kill a tank then the rending claws.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ya i know that its str 10 anyway and that u cant go over 10, but wat if u gave it toxin sacs, making is str 10 +1 and then barbed strangler= str 10 +1 minus2 = str9.

i know this is impossable but this is what i meant.

also why not just use old one eye?

·
850 Posts
oh i see, sorry. And old one eye? scre him, get the heirodule. This beast is better than old one eye.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Nemisis:
The rending claw special rule against vehicles only works if you already got a six on one of the penetration rolls, so the only time when it actually does something is when you already got at least a 17 (10+6+1) on the penetration roll - do you really need more?

Haemogod: The only way to get a S10 carnifex which then theoretically could become S11 is with a exceptional size mutation. But even then this doesn't work. You first apply all statline modifications, then you determine the weapon strength, based on the completely modified statline.

jwu

·
850 Posts
oh i understand now Arc. thanks :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
I kind of like the idea of the Carnifex with a Barbed Strangler. An ordnance blast with STR 8 can do some damage!! Of course the venom cannon is kind of hard to resist with the 2 STR 10 shots it can deliver per turn.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I like the Barbed Strangler myself. Setting down Heavy Support, he's always first and closest to the enemy, so the shorter range isn't as big of an issue.

Of course, I can never seem to hit with it when I need to...

·
Registered
163 Posts
a carnifex with a blast marker will do more damage then an extra attack in hand to hand. although if your up against a heavy armor army ap - may not do you alot of good.

however if you make a carnifex you can give it a devourer and 4 str 9 ap6 shots will sting.

XG

·
Registered
379 Posts
The problem is the BS is only 3 so you miss a bunch. But its soooo nice to hit an str 8 ordinance. Especially when you combine with implant attack. People who wouldnt outright die from the str8 (toughness 5/6 people) will take 2 wounds if they get hit.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Morpheus01:
You can't use implant attack with ranged weapons, it works only in close combat.

Note that a S8 strangler doesn't negate any saves, so only one of three wounded marines will die.

jwu

·
Registered
379 Posts
This is from the codex (sorry if this is posted twice -my browser seems to be not working right =) )

"Implant attack : "A Model which fails its saving throw when wounded by a creature with an Implant attack biomorph enhancement suffers two wounds instead of one. Implant attacks do not affect wounds inflicted by bioplasma".

So it doesnt say Close combat only. Has there been a FAQ ruling I am not aware of?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
"Wounded by a creature" is a hint that it works only in close combat, because otherwise it's the bioweapon which wounds - in the same way as a space marine causes wounds in close combat, and in ranged combat it is the bolter that wounds.

However, the translated (newer) versions of the codex literally mention that it's a close-combat-only thing.

BTW, implant attack is entirely useless against models with only a single wound, because you take only one armour save for both wounds. You implied that it had a use against single wound models.

jwu

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yeah does nothing vs single wound models.

But the diffirence between the space marine and the tyranid example is, the Tyranid is firing part of himself - its a living attachment, so it would be logical that the toxin would flow through the ranged weapon as well, wheras the space marine is using a gun.

Ill check out the newer codex for the wording though. If what you say is true that would be less cool.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
But the diffirence between the space marine and the tyranid example is, the Tyranid is firing part of himself - its a living attachment, so it would be logical that the toxin would flow through the ranged weapon as well, wheras the space marine is using a gun.
Unfortunately that's just fluff, not a rule.

jwu

·
Registered
379 Posts
Well I would like to see the newer version before I change my interpretation of the rule. It would make a lot less sense. Then again many things in this game make no sense (like wraith guards shooting at a lictor and it not getting its cover save)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.