Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
FW has all my cash
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks

It's been a while since i posted anything here.. i've been very busy and haven't gotten around to getting anything uploaded..

I took delivery of the new FW Lord of Change this morning.. here are the initial out of the box images.. appologies for the naffness of my phone camera.

Finally I will be able to field the Tetragon of Darkness with the Daemon Lords.. Mwahahaha!!

WIP will be updated asap

Cheers

·
FW has all my cash
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Initial trim and pin - Assembly 75%

As promised.. updates coming as and when

There was a lot of trimming excess flash and vents from the wings on the Lord of Change.. compare against the initial image.. the connection points for the wings required a lot of resin to be cut out

I'm using 3mm fiber-glass rod to pin this one.. actually i use this on all my large FW models..

Horrors and hand pinned together

Here is the LoC assembled minus the staff - the staff is really fiddly with lots of trimming needed on 5 or 6 parts.. I'm working on the principal of of pinning the whole head so that can be removed for transport

To give people an idea of the size

And I'm looking forward to this lot fully painted and fielded..

More to come

·
FW has all my cash
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not decided exactly what I am going for with the LoC.. the one thing I am sure of is that i'm not a huge fan of the FW paint job.. i think it needs to be more multicoloured..
I'm currently rereading my copy of Liber Chaotica for inspiration regarding Tzeentch as I am in the process of another super secret Tzeentch Superheavy (scratch build on that one.. coming soon)

I'm toying with the idea of somehow using a silver to over highlight the body.. sort of a glamour effect, to try to represent the fact that the creature is pure magic

i'll probably go an buy a couple of models and test paint them before I go for it with this one..

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
dang!

Santa? Are you reading this? can you get me one of those khorne daemons?

*subscribed*

how long did it take you to finish one of those greater daemons?

·
FW has all my cash
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
final assembly was very tricky!!

mKay.. so getting the LoC to primer / undercoat stage was a lot more tricky that I had given it credit for.. what I thought was a fairly good cast by those wonderful people at Forge World turned out to be a right pain in the A$$..
Not much actually fitted together that well so there were a lot of missaligned pieces and the mould lines were in the most awkward places.. to make matters worse a lot of the fine detail was at risk of being removed as a result of getting a nice seamless join.

My biggest problems were three-fold..
1. one of the legs has a massive bubble in it.. i was surprised that FW actually ok'd its release. It's actually on the underside of the left hand leg, the top skin detail is there with a small hole.. only when I shone a bulb at it did i see the extent of the bubble gap. i used a good chunk (2 cm blue/yellow strip) of greenstuff to very carefully push into the gap..
2. the join between the wings and the body were not good, probably a slight missalignment with my pin angle but even without the pin there was a fairly reasonable gap between the two.. the only solution was green stuff
3. the join between the hand and the horrors was awful and i just couldn't see how they matched (with or without a pin). There was always a huge step between the two on one side.. again green stuff to fix

You can see the swirly green stuff sculpting i had to do on the hand/horrors

Sculpted feathers added to the join between the wing and body

More feathers added on the other wing

The neck join was really hard to get smooth

Primed and undercoated the joins loot a lot better

Hand / Horrors join looks ok

Feathers look like the blend in

The Staff was super fiddly to trim as all of these parts were separate and were totally flodded with resin.. i spend a night trimming and filing just these 3 bits

I've deliberately left off some of the spikes and hanging ornaments.. they are quite fragile and i'm going to paint and add them at the end

My plan will be to give this a very light wash with watered down bebab black.. I find that highlights all of the cracks and shows me where i may have missed any flash/vents or where the joins arn't quite smooth enough.. I don't want to make this too dark as i may disrupt the final paint scheme

Also i may revisit the feathers, i'll paint a few and see what they look like.. shouldn't be too hard to loose them with the dremil and then resculpt a few..

So just need to work out a paint scheme now

More to come

Reactions: sovietspace

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
leighjt - That is a very funky model. You've done well with the gap filling, I don't think any of then are really noticeable. What is your plan for his scheme and base?

gloryboy - Please do not ask for rules on LO, it is against our policy. The rules for chariots in 40k are found in Codex: Daemons of Chaos.

Kuffy

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
could ypu please give me rules 4 chariots(40k) befpre saturday don't no were the rules are:freaked-out:
First of all welcome to LO, secondly due to copyright by GW we aren't exactly allowed to post rules directly here, but you could post a question in either the rules help forum or chaos daemons (I don't think any other army has chariots) asking where you might be able to find said rules. Lastly here we try not to derail threads, and we prefer to keep on topic. Next time try avoiding posting that here in a thread as it will just derail it from the masin focus (the LoC) or if it was a question directed at the OP a private message, or visitor message would've been more appropriate.

·
FW has all my cash
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
paint scheme ideas - comments please

Been thinking a lot about different paint ideas for the Lord of Change.. a lot of the images available online give a very blue theme to the Daemon Lord.. and its no supprise that Forge World have gone along with that.

However.. I'm not all that happy with that.. and re-reading the entry from Liber Chaotica gave me food for thought

Paragraph from the Lords of Change, Book of Tzeentch (4) Liber Chaotica
"The daemons craning neck sat on a narrow feathered body, and His wings spread out behind Him in multi-coloured splendour. I am not sure whether he was blue or yellow, or indeed an entirely different or new colour for which there is no name or work to describe. His hue changed from moment to moment, perhaps because the daemon did not regard it as relavent that He should retain any consistency of colour or appearance."

Based on that description i went for the following paint effect on one of my old skool Lord of Change .. Camera wasn't too great close up

Rainbow paint blend with a Mithryl silver highlight
What do people think??????

I'm going to try some other things and post them here

·
Egg Head Miniatures:fbook
1,900 Posts
This is looking great. Good luck with the rest of it.

Re: wings.

I'm not mad keen on the mithril highlight but it gave me an idea you may want to try. How about painting each of the rainbow colours in their relevant bands of feathers but as the feathers reach their tips the colours wash out to reveal the silver. Might look that bit better and be quite different.

PS. the green stuff looks great. I need to learn some of those sort of skills and get the tools.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Well, I quite like that rainbow-silver look you've posted, but I'm keen to see what other ideas you have for this guy. Good work on the greenstuffing, seems to have come out a treat!

·
FW has all my cash
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
this is beginning to drive me nuts

I am really having some issues working a paint scheme out for the LoC..

It needs to be really spectacular and almost centre piece to the army.. considering its going to be a 999 point cost.

I really want a shimmer / ethereal feel, hence my initial rainbow with mithryl highlight. I've been playing around with mixing washes with mythryl.. i don't even want to post the images.. they look absolutely (insert expletive of choice)..
I then went about washing mithryl with washes.. again.. shocking

So set about looking on the net for some inspiration..

Birds..

Peacock feathers up close..

Artistic rendition of Peacock Feather// Not Mine

So based on these images.. anyone got any comments??

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.