Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Schoolboy
221 Posts
yep, you're right, and unfortunately, i guess they couldnt support them or anything. i have no idea why they closed em down, but it they were still here, i would have never discovered librarium-online ;Y

·
481 Posts
I heard it was shut down because they just didn't want to deal with it anymore, and there are tons of other GW based forums all over the net, many not so good but there there. Also I went there a few times and it looked terrible, the format and layout was ugly, I went in once to see what it was like, saw it was terrible and left.

I found out about this forum a while back when I was looking for battle reports to read one day when I was board, and then I got to looking into some of the other topics and just continued toi hang around here, I also go to Dakka Dakka, but there fantasy forum has pretty much nobody there, they can go a few days without starting or getting an answer on a topic.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I found LO recently because I couldn't find the GW forums when I got back into mini painting :)

There was so much anti-GW sentiment there, flaming, trolling, thread deletions, that I don't really miss it. I do wonder what happened though.

·
Registered
472 Posts
My only memory of it was a poor sap getting two pages of abuse for asking if he could paint his black templars red. Makes me feel lucky to have LO... :drinking:

·
Now with STFU flames!
5,917 Posts
They were shut down because G.W. didn't want to pay the upkeep cost for them when they were basically a pale shadow of all of the fan sites out there. I can't count the number of times a question would be asked and you'd get - "Dunno, go ask the guys at X."

At least, that's what I heard...

·
Registered
591 Posts
That place was horrible. There was no point in engaging in a discussion as you would either be flamed or not get a proper answer.

·
451 Posts
Hey,

I asked them
I doubt very much that you asked the people who made the decision to shut down the Eye.

people bashed them too much
The problem wasn't the customer criticisms, but the Studio's inability to address them.
Thoughtful, well-reasoned questions got threadlocked out of sheer embarassment.
Chambers rarely posted responses, but they were often relevant and positive.
Jervis, Pete, Adi and Gav posted occasionally, but often inconclusively.

Any GW post was flagged in red, though, and that acted like blood in the water.
Immediately, a thousand fanboys would flood the thread in an orgy of "MeMe!".
The lowing non sequiturs and mating rituals of the herd began to grate.
The Studio Servitors soon tired of the "feedback" from this sort.

So, they bribed a bunch of underemployed Redshirts to moderate the forums for them.
These, predictably, soon set themselves up as petty dictators and Thought Police.
Posts even mentioning Squats or Wraithlords were unceremoniously deleted.
People asking the wrong questions were threatened and/ or banned.
It was screaming, bloody Chaos - and not in a good way.

Then it got worse.

GW's beancounters looked at the profit potential of the Eye's servers and bandwidth and nixed it.
And they were right; it was a gibbering horde of fanboys in a matrix of ignorance and apathy.
So, it was a mercy kill; trawling through the muck to glean useful info was too frustrating.
There was no way to show that it could possibly help with sales, and the PLC axe fell.

Afterward, it was natural for the fanboys to blame the dissenters, but they're fanboys, right?

The real problem, as any dissenter could tell you, was mismanagement . . .

Playa

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
The thing is that it shouldn't be impossible to deal with a forum like that. Privateer Press and Rackham have their own, official, well-moderated and massive boards (PPs have 20,000 registered members and at peak time several hundred browse the board).

GW's lack of dedication and unwillingness to clear up the mess that was their board resulted in them having to close it down.
Imagine of you could go to the GW board when you had a rule question that have sparked many pages of debate and get an official answer in a couple of hours. Of course, that's me spoiled by PPs board...

·
Son of LO
3,475 Posts
Hm, it wasn't that bad, of course the only post I put there incited several flamers but thats not the point (3rd ed eldar, Dire Avengers vs Guardians, I said Guardians were better in a Guardians vs Avengers thread, they didn't like it o_O).

Maybe GW just didn't want to scare the thousands of 'snot nosed kid ultramarine players' away by banning them from the forum. They make up 95% of GW income after all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Personally, I think it was a mistake on GW's behalf to shut them down. Sure, towards the end they were a shambolic mess of shouty morons, but they could, should, have been an ideal first point of contact with the company and other like-minded people for new members of the hobby. There really were some nice, knowledgeable people posting on there throughout, but eventually the white noise drowned out their signal!

I think officially they were closed as a cost-cutting exercise.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
The GW moderators were not GW employees but users, I know several of them (Favoured by Sanguinus/BloodAngelsBrotherEdward and Howling Griffon) but the board were not a nice place to be, moderating them was an uphill struggle, like hearding cats, why would GW use money to keep alive boards when there are already fansites, such as LO. Warseer and B&C already doing this better than they were? what would be the point for a business?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts