Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has Galrauch and will be using it against me soon. How strong is Galrauch? I think he's pretty powerful as how many other armies can field a lord level wizard and a deadly dragon at 2000 points?! Anyone know of his weaknessess. I will be playing HEs by the way :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've personally fielded galrauch in a 2250 battle in conjunction wit a khorne EH on a juggy, festus and an additional nurgle sorcerer. I found it to be potentially devastating with the use of the breath of change/curse of the leper, that's the big thing i'd be watching out for, he'll turn your T3 models into a t2 model and then force a toughness check, it's pretty hard to handle. Your best bet is typically to focus fire on large targets in general, idk if he's fielding a shaggoth as one of his rare choices or not to try to take some fire off of galrauch for a turn or two but if not, utilize all of your shooting to try to bring the dragon down and as far as your magic phase, if you're fielding teclis(which i would suggest) it will put a lot more pressure on him to play defensively with his dragon and sit back at range with it and strictly use it for magical purposes only as he prolly can't afford to lose 2 dispel dice with the death of galrauch to shooting attacks. Other than that, if you have options for lores of magic to choose from, lore of metal typically works best against a chaos army. If you post more detail about what you'll be facing, i'll be more than happy to fill you in on the scheme.

·
Registered
247 Posts
In my opinion Teclis would be a waste of points. Galrauch already has Pandaemonium and is therefore automatically equipped to shut down Teclis' most powerful ability. Two large blocks (25 or so) of lothern sea guard, the battle banner, and a prince with the white sword will do two things for you; it will guarantee that he will never be dumb enough to charge those units from the front, and you'll have 50 shots raining down on galrauch each turn. Throw in two bolt throwers to limit his movement options and two great eagles to march block his entire army. Four dispel scrolls, while cheesy, will also frustrate him, and he's already being cheesy by using a special character anyway so fight fire with fire.

High Elves are one of my most feared matchups because they can outshoot me (obviously) out-magic me and and marchblock my entire army with impunity. Nasty stuff, and a big part of the reason I sold off my HE army. I would say good luck, but you shouldn't need it with a 600+ point large target general taunting you with that big bullseye.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure exactly what I'll be fighting but my dad has

Galrauch
Boobwurm rider
Sigvald the magnificent
2 sorcerers (on foot)
8 chaos knights
~30 chaos warriors
some maurader horsemen (I think 10)
Loads of mauraders (at least 30)
10 chosen
chariot
I think that's all...

I will be fielding a star dragon (just got it for Xmas, what choice do I have!) some PG, archers, noble BSB with BB in some DPs, 2 RBT and 2 eagles, a caddy and some SMs if I can fit them in

My dad is new :) so he probably won't have a super competetive list :D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here what I would throw at him if I were you.
Noble bsb with the banner that adds to combat resolution.
Lord with the star lance
Unit of Dragon princes.

This little death star unit has hurt put a world of pain on my dragon before. Just make sure you get the charge on him and chance are you'll break him and eat his lunch.

·
Registered
90 Posts
even so with pandemonium, it's a remain in play, and he's gonna cast it at the end of the magic phase thus making it a bit more predictable, and even then, teclis ignores the first miscast and on top of it all, it's only a power lvl 8 to dispel at the end of your magic phase, it really isn't that huge of a deal, just save a couple dice at the end of your magic phase if you should fail to dispel it when he's initially casting it. Either way, if you don't i would totally understand not using him, he's kind of wimpy, i've seen him be dropped by marauder horsemen with throwing axes on more than a few occasions(my buddy hates usin bunker units XD). Best of luck to ya, and whip sum butt wit that star dragon! And what's up with galrauch and sigvald??? You playin 3k+ points? If you are, it's gonna open up the playing field immensely.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's 2K points, that's just the models my dad has. Sigvald could be an exalted hero but galrauch will definetly be the lord choice. I would use a similar death star unit to the one you mentioned but I have to use my star dragon really :) Oh I just realised that this is the WoC forum not the HE forum so you probably don't know what the units are...

Star dragon: Big deadly dragon ;)
6 Dragon princes: very strong heavy cavalry
15-20 pheonix guard: 4+ ward save brick walls
10-14 Sword masters. 2 strength 5 attacks each, unfortunatly only 5+ save
2x10 archers: core and pretty bad, minimum core is usually taken by HEs
BSB with battle banner: BSB with a banner of +D6 comabt res! (mounted in DPs)
Caddy: I guess you know what that is :)
Repeater bolt throwers: strength 6 bolt shot or 6 strength 4 with -1 to armour saves.
Eagles: flying marchblokers ect.

My main worry is Galrauchs level 4 wizard abilities. I have a caddy :(
Also, does Galrauch take a hero slot like an ordinary chaos dragon?

·
Registered
59 Posts
It's 2K points, that's just the models my dad has. Sigvald could be an exalted hero but galrauch will definetly be the lord choice. I would use a similar death star unit to the one you mentioned but I have to use my star dragon really :) Oh I just realised that this is the WoC forum not the HE forum so you probably don't know what the units are...

Star dragon: Big deadly dragon ;)
6 Dragon princes: very strong heavy cavalry
15-20 pheonix guard: 4+ ward save brick walls
10-14 Sword masters. 2 strength 5 attacks each, unfortunatly only 5+ save
2x10 archers: core and pretty bad, minimum core is usually taken by HEs
BSB with battle banner: BSB with a banner of +D6 comabt res! (mounted in DPs)
Caddy: I guess you know what that is :)
Repeater bolt throwers: strength 6 bolt shot or 6 strength 4 with -1 to armour saves.
Eagles: flying marchblokers ect.

My main worry is Galrauchs level 4 wizard abilities. I have a caddy :(
Also, does Galrauch take a hero slot like an ordinary chaos dragon?

Many of us have probably fought HEs before so asking here isn't too bad of an idea, You can get the input from other HE players on what has worked for them and you can get input from us who have been on the other side of th table. Personally when I fight HEs I worry about the battle banner and dragon princes with a lord in it, like I mentioned before the lord with the star lance in a unit of dragon princes and he battle banner I would stay away from.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.