Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I basically live pretty crammed and don't have a lot of space to put gaming boards, so I wanted to know if I could use certain stuff and put the gaming tables on top of them

So basically I've got 2 places to put a gaming table one is a low dresser, that's about 2x5, and a table that's 3x6, would these make a good place to put a gaming table ?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If something that's like 6x4, or 6x5 is better I could always build one with folding legs and just tuck it in a closet when it's not in use...

·
Registered
857 Posts
Do you have boxes, like shoeboxes? Four shoeboxes make a decent table stand. Also, if you have a wardrobe-type (deep) closet, you can hang the table on the wall when not in use. Just make sure it's securely fastened in...

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you have a basement or something, you can play on the floor. Me and my brother are having a large area for a battle with a small number of miniatures. It makes for key maneuvering and such. Although the floor does hurt alot for me, I have long legs and bad knees heh.

·
Registered
36 Posts
One good 4x4 table will balance on the 3 x 6 table no problem. Plus 4 x 4 is good enough for games up to 1500 points (unless you play IG). Umm just don't lean on it ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured out how I'm going to do it, getting a 5x5 board (I have IG... shameless quote parody coming up... "You're going to need a bigger board") and I'm going to get little 1"x1"x12" legs on locking hinges so I can play on the floor without it hurting my already bad back.

I figure the 5' board will be good since I don't have that reaching problem like others, with a 7' arm span I don't need a small board.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Isn't 6X4 the standard size?
Not that I'm complaining or something, but I just thought that was a standard size.
Anyway, 5x5 should work fine. It's a bit of a long way to go in eg. a recon mission but the final result is ultimately up to you, 5x5 should work just fine.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Ummm, I don't think you huys are thinking the same as I am here...

I'm talking about a "fold together and store anywhere" table.
As in two table halves that are hinged together permanently.

Anyway I like the other ideas you come up with, I could ahve a look at them too...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, perhaps I can't really describe it properly.

The closest thing I can think of is the bar lock on an old fortress, where the gates would close and the bar lock would be dropped preventing the door from being opened

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
The closest thing I can think of is the bar lock on an old fortress, where the gates would close and the bar lock would be dropped preventing the door from being opened
Could try looking into that, the idea behind it sounds useful enough... might just give it a shot!

·
Registered
21 Posts
you might want to try a piano hinge(i think thats what its called) its where you have a hinge the full length of one side, its pretty common on....you guessed it, pianos! and also on tables where a leaf folds down so its parallel with the legs

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I know what you mean, I used that sort of hinge on my model carrying case... they work fine... not great but fine...

It's quite ok to use a pool table for gaming... but it isn't exactly the most storable and movable table in the world.
It is great for gaming on though... I have tried it's great surface.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ya know, you could just buy some carpet for your basement Nostrafus.

Or do what my friend and i did, buy a pasteing table, the kind you'd redecorate with then simply make a basic terrain, flock the base add in the hills etc and then just have moveable terrain pieces. Its as easy as that plus it means i can take my table with me when i go to his house!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Pasting table you say...
Do you mean like the tables they use for preparing tapestries and such on?
If it is so then I would say that would be the optimum idea.
You got a readymade table that is foldable... should be easy enough to store...

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yep Dragonsleyero you're exactly right.

It might loof a bit wierd if you walk down a street with a table made of grass but its damn easy to make.

We cheated with the first one and just bought one of those grass rolls from GW and glued it down but before long (and a few rainstorms) the roll began to wear away so we made a new one which we covered in PVA and then based with sand.
Then we simply painted the colours on, it has a large beachfront area which leads all the way up to the outskirts of a city.

If you try it out let me know how yours goes!

BTW we also coated the sand table with varnish after painting it so it was waterproof for when i had to walk through the rain to his house with it!

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you are looking for a good, sturdy gaming board, head to your local lumber shop and pick up plywood sized to your needs and do what dragon suggested and attach hinges to it so it can be folded. Plywood is relatively inexpensive and its quite durable, but I wouldn't want to carry it around town as it is also somewhat heavy. Perfect for in-home use. And someone mentioned a pool table. How about a ping pong (table tennis) table? Most of them fold up too to save space. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Well their sertainly large enough...
I have been thinking of a folding table that folds into four pieces.
It might be much harder to make it correctly but it sertainly would take a lot less space.. and it would look that wierd if you carried it around town...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Four pieces? That's a pretty wild idea. I hope you can figure out a way to make it correctly. I think the board would have to be square and not rectangular for that to fold properly. If you ever heard of the game, Trivial Pursuit, check out that board. It folds into four sections. It's square, but at least you can get the basic idea from it. In order for it to work, part of the gaming surface will not be connected, so you're going to need plenty of support underneath to keep it sturdy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.