Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Played my first game at my house the other day. Set up two 2'x4' pieces of plywood on my 3'x4' coffee table. Realized that for 1500pts of a side of 40k we would need a much larger surface.

I want to build a folding gaming surface that can be set out on top of my coffee table. I've looked at a couple different designs and have settled on using two sheets of thick plywood 3'x4' hinged in the middle to give a 6'x4' gaming surface. I want the table to fold "gaming surface in" which means I'll have to recess the hinges in on the gaming side. I want to attach felt to the backside of the table so it won't scratch up my coffee table.

Has anyone done this before? Does anyone have any advice as to what thickness of plywood I should use? I want plywood thick enough so it won't warp (as it will be overhanging the coffee table by a foot on each of the short sides and 6" on each of the long sides). I have thought of attaching strips to brace the plywood to prevent warping, however then I'll have these contacting the surface of the coffee table which may make it uneven.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
Not really a response to your question (I havent done that, would be a cool solution, if you could engineer it properly, can't see why it wouldnt work) but if you want a reasonably cheap alternative what I use is two 6 foot by 2 foot collapsible wallpaper pasting tables with a Zuzzy gaming mat over the top.

If you hinged the board you could get over the uneveness problem by using the same thickness of material on the edges of the board? it would also work as a protector from scratches for your coffee table.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've thought about that. Only problem is being limited on space. I live in a basement suite with two other roommates. Unfortunately, I don't have space in our living room to move the coffee table and replace it with a gaming table, even a collapsable one. Which is why I've decided to go the surface route.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
I used to have a table just like that, the only difference being that I didn't elevate it on a coffee table. Not sure what kind of plans you're looking at.

I build mine with two 3x4 halves, each of flat plywood. Under each piece, I had two H shapes made of 2x4 boards. So when the table was open, the bottom looked like this: [HH].
I used more 2x4s to build an edge around the top of the table. It was nice - it kept the dice and models on the table, but also, I built foam-core modular terrain (later replaced with Realm of Battle). I put 'card table hinges' on the 2x4s, so that when you folded it, the two sides would touch and keep all of the terrain boards nice and safe. It was a really nice board - heavy as all get out - but it was worth it to be able to flat-pack all of my modular terrain in a very nice case.

A note - when the Realm of Battle came out, we found that it was a little harder to squeeze all the plastic bits in, and that once they were in, they were a bear to get back out. We drilled a 2" diameter hole in the bottom of the table, which lined up with the center of one of the boards. That way we could pop one of them out easily from below, and that released the other 5.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I build mine with two 3x4 halves, each of flat plywood. Under each piece, I had two H shapes made of 2x4 boards. So when the table was open, the bottom looked like this: [HH].
I used more 2x4s to build an edge around the top of the table. It was nice - it kept the dice and models on the table, but also, I built foam-core modular terrain (later replaced with Realm of Battle). I put 'card table hinges' on the 2x4s, so that when you folded it, the two sides would touch and keep all of the terrain boards nice and safe. It was a really nice board - heavy as all get out - but it was worth it to be able to flat-pack all of my modular terrain in a very nice case.
I really like the idea of the HH 2x4 braces. Think I'll try something similar. I'm building it today so I'll try and take some photos. Thanks!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So attached are some photos of what I came up with. CaptainSarathai I decided to go with a design similar to yours. You're correct, it weighs a ton but is incredibly sturdy.

It's mostly finished, only issue is attaching latches to ensure the board stays open. Because of how the hinges are placed, when I set it up on the 3'x4' coffee table it wanted to go like this: ^

If I attach latches to lock the board in a flat, open position that shouldn't be a problem.

Enjoy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts