Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Proud banner bearer of LO
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys! :) The Imperial Guard gig is great fun, despite my losses.

I've got just over one thousand points of IG now, and want to expand on it. I was thinking of going for some more infantry and adding some other things too.

This will be my general purpose army list, pretty much static gunline with a trio of Russes and some other vehicular elements to make things more interesting.

I was thinking that some veterans with las/ snipers to provide more long range firepower to hit tougher targets that the platoon can't deal with well, and the Banewolf to flush out heavy infantry in cover, with the outflanking sentinels and Penal Legion to make some surprise attacks with.

Company Command Section 135pts
-Sgt. Major Duke Larven w/ powerfist
-Plasma Gun, Lascannon
-Vox caster
-Master of Ordnance

Infantry Platoon Alpha 405pts

Platoon Command 55pts
-Missile Launcher, Grenade Launcher
-Vox caster

x5 Infantry Sections 70pts each
-Heavy Bolters, Grenade Launchers
-Vox casters

Penal Legion Squad 80pts

Veteran Squad 135pts
-Forward Sentries w/ 3 sniper rifles
-Lascannon

2 Scout Sentinels 80pts
-Autocannons,

Leman Russ Battle Tank 'Iron Duke' 190pts
-Heavy bolter sponsons
-Camo netting

Leman Russ Demolisher 'Ram' 175pts
-Heavy Stubber

Leman Russ Demolisher 'Charger' 175pts
-Heavy stubber

Bane Wolf 150pts
-Smoke Launchers
-Multi-Melta

I'm open to suggestions and tweaks, since I don't have the fifth infantry squad, veterans, second sentinel or banewolf yet.

Also open to the idea of a pair of griffon mortars as accurate bombardment is something I could really use since the dice gods do not favour me when it comes to pie plates. Plus I've always liked griffon mortars, half the reason I was drawn to the Imperial Guard! :D

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
hmm. heavy bolters & missile launchers get out classed by autocannons, because ML aren't reliable an anti-AV14 and your PCS and CCS need mobility and proper protection. this is where the chimera come in handy with it's multi-laser and heavy flamer combo.

ALso your CCS won't see any combat, well very very rare and you wouldn't want them in it, so a pweorfist isn't really needed unless for fluff. i woudl equip your CCS with 3x plasma and a regimental stand to make your guardsmen much more courageous. Your PCS i would give melta guns to kill DS like dreadnoughts, terminators. MC and other tanks coming from the frontline at you.

If your doing static gunlin, why the penal legion? i would take them off. because they don't fit your tactics and guardsmen aren't made for combat.

your list lacks anti-AV14 and anti-mc. so i would make your veterans in chimeras and will melta guns. they can be static. give them a lascannon if you want, but they will want to on the move alot of the time to kill tanks and MC alike. The scout sentinels are more of a hit and miss option. and i would go for a marbo instead of them ^^.

Heavy sponsors make your russ leave obile, because you want to use them and russes need to mobile all the time so that they are killed in assualt ambushes as easily and to make them more of a threat. i would give them heavy flamer on the hull because they will be up close and demolishers work best as best value for costs in this section. The heavy stubbers won't do much because your demolishers will be shooting, tanks, terminators, tyranid warriors etc. So the points could be used elsewhere.

A vendetta works much better than a banewolf for anti-tank and anti-mc and anti-terminator. plus you can transport a squad in there. Your russ also doesn't need camos because it's AV14 and you don't want to rely on that tank too much. basically your making a tank more expensive than it really is and your over spending on that tank.

Also have you considered using HWT for a static gunline army?
Hope my advice helps!

thanks
antique_nova

·
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My captain needs his powerfist as it holds an extremely hot cup of tea. ;)

Only really running a missile launcher since it's all I have at the moment, same goes for heavy bolters, I'm finding autocannons much more useful too, so I'll replace most the HB's.

Why exactly does my CCS need mobility? They need to stay put to issue orders to get more out of the platoon, and I can almost always find some cover to park them in and pick off key targets with the BS4 lascannon and let the Master of Ordnance shake up the enemy with a pie plate, maybe camo cloaks would go better for them....

Though you're right about me needing more hard hitting AT, though, one lascannon is too little.

Got the Penal Legion in there for a bit of fun and variety, they can be a helpful distraction when they outflank and turn up from an unexpected angle. With the veterans, I thought the extra lascannon would provide a little more AT power, whilst the snipers let the rest of squad be more useful at long range, and force more saves on MC's.

I think I'd prefer to stick with the sentinels too, provides more outflankers and can support the penal legion and pop rear armour.

Heavy sponsors make your russ leave obile, because you want to use them and russes need to mobile all the time so that they are killed in assault ambushes as easily and to make them more of a threat.
Make my Russ more mobile so that they are killed in assault ambushes? Think you need to check your spelling there mate. :p Don't worry, I know what you mean, thought the camo netting would help since it's not moving so it can churn out lots of firepower, so why not give it a little extra protection? Or maybe I should stick with the nature of the IG of keeping it cheap? Gotta keep the sponsons though, the model is all painted and the broken ones on my demo's were a pain to remove.

I don't mind dropping the heavy stubbers on the Demolishers, just figured a little extra firepower would help since they have no sponsons due to their more mobile nature.

Not sure about swapping a Banewolf for a Vendetta though, the gunship needs to move slow to get all its weapons firing whilst a good transport needs to move fast, And as the only aircraft on the table, it's going to be a priority target, though one can say the same about a lone Banewolf, the Bane could hose down a lot of heavy infantry and MC's with it's chem cannon or pop a tank with the multi-melta with a good roll, though the gunship would be better at pure AT.

Whew! Sorry for the long post I'm not good at short and concise replies, you've given me a lot of good food for thought.

Not trying to write off your help or anything, but I'm not entirely sure what to change yet. But I appreciate the you taking the time to analyze my list. :soldier: :beer:

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
not enough time as i haven't even checked my spelling.. that's really sloppy from me.
Anyway..back to the list :p.

My captain needs his powerfist as it holds an extremely hot cup of tea. ;)
I can live with that ;), but won't he crush the mug or power fist his face if he uses that hand to pour the tea into his mouth? i can see him using the other hand, but then he would need two power fists :D. lol

Only really running a missile launcher since it's all I have at the moment, same goes for heavy bolters, I'm finding autocannons much more useful too, so I'll replace most the HB's.
good. experience helps more than advice to be honest.

Why exactly does my CCS need mobility? They need to stay put to issue orders to get more out of the platoon, and I can almost always find some cover to park them in and pick off key targets with the BS4 lascannon and let the Master of Ordnance shake up the enemy with a pie plate, maybe camo cloaks would go better for them....
Well nmagine if you get deepstriked or outflanked or someone turbo boosts to your CCS, the PCS and CCS make the core of the imperial gaurd army. lose them and you lose the heart of your force. Their orders make them more valuable to your army than ever before and within them, they become another army that is cheap, expendible and has alot of guns.
I have found that loosing your PCS and CCS really disrupts the imperial gaurd's gameplay and flow from exprience, so that's why.
Though you're right about me needing more hard hitting AT, though, one lascannon is too little.
Not sure how this sentence is structured, but i think you agree with me that one lascannon isn't enough for anti-AV14 tanks.
Got the Penal Legion in there for a bit of fun and variety, they can be a helpful distraction when they outflank and turn up from an unexpected angle. With the veterans, I thought the extra lascannon would provide a little more AT power, whilst the snipers let the rest of squad be more useful at long range, and force more saves on MC's.
If you want them there to be fun, then get snetinels with lascannons and melta weapons if possible and marbo, If you want distraction. bring in vendettas and leman russes. nothing distracts an enemy more than an AV14 vehcile with a great big totting cannon and something that can move 12 inches, turbo boost and boasts 3 twin-linked lascannons, these guys have a more psycological effect, that help you to make your PCS and CCS, plus your guard units survive longer. However, against really experienced players, it won't work at all. Like Prince of Excess ^^/
I think I'd prefer to stick with the sentinels too, provides more outflankers and can support the penal legion and pop rear armour.
Relying on outflankers has it's good points, but if you expect them form the tip of your offensive power, or the majority then it is an unreliable one, due to them not being consistent, appearing left, right and later in the game.

Quote:
Heavy sponsors make your russ leave obile, because you want to use them and russes need to mobile all the time so that they are killed in assault ambushes as easily and to make them more of a threat.
Make my Russ more mobile so that they are killed in assault ambushes? Think you need to check your spelling there mate. :p Don't worry, I know what you mean, thought the camo netting would help since it's not moving so it can churn out lots of firepower, so why not give it a little extra protection? Or maybe I should stick with the nature of the IG of keeping it cheap? Gotta keep the sponsons though, the model is all painted and the broken ones on my demo's were a pain to remove.
Erm......I meant keeping a leman russ mobile helps it to survive longer, because it will stop any assualters from hitting automaitcally, they got to hit on a 4+ i think, or do you need to move twelve inces. anyway it needs to be moving all the time to prevent this, well msot of the time. Because you can always guarantee that someone will be determined enough to jump or deepstrike or run right next to that leman russ and blow it up with fancy fists and demo charges :).
Camo netting just makes it more unecessarily expesensive, you should stick to the ig nature of cheap, because the points of those sponsors could be so much more useful elsewhere. Infact the camo can work against you. I meant who is going to waste their time shooting an AV14 tank with +3 cover save? it's about as bad as shooting a monolith, well monoliths are harder but i had to find something to compare it too! :p. even if it's alittle farfetched. It just encourages your opponent to focus on the rest of your army and you need to remember, that you leman russ will be most likely be shooting units in cover, because they will be very aware of what it can do.

I don't mind dropping the heavy stubbers on the Demolishers, just figured a little extra firepower would help since they have no sponsons due to their more mobile nature.
well if you think about it, a very powerful cannon will 97% of the time shoot at the most powerful elements of the enemy's rabble ^^. 1% it won't, 1% is when it can't be arsed and just misses completely. and the last 1% is jus when it's plain ugly and decides to backfire and kill your own men.
Not sure about swapping a Banewolf for a Vendetta though, the gunship needs to move slow to get all its weapons firing whilst a good transport needs to move fast, And as the only aircraft on the table, it's going to be a priority target, though one can say the same about a lone Banewolf, the Bane could hose down a lot of heavy infantry and MC's with it's chem cannon or pop a tank with the multi-melta with a good roll, though the gunship would be better at pure AT.
it wouldn't hose down MCs, it's 24 inche range and it wounds them once per turn. The thing with a vendetta is that it has range 48 with lacsannons and it can sit back and just pump. it's much more versitile than a bvanewolf. because a vendetta can scout, outflank or sit back and if you keep a small expendible squa in their. they can objective grab and turbo boost to do that at the last turn. The banewolf is chruned out for one role. a vendettta isn't.
Whew! Sorry for the long post I'm not good at short and concise replies, you've given me a lot of good food for thought.
It's fine really, i like long discussions with anyone willing to listen to both sides of the argument, however i am still young and hotheaded ^^

Not trying to write off your help or anything, but I'm not entirely sure what to change yet. But I appreciate the you taking the time to analyze my list. :soldier: :beer:
no problem ^^, no need for the hat, all you need is three things.
Your brain
experience
and common sense ^^

those are the three key things to building balanced and competitive lists.

thanks
antique_nova

·
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I don't have much experience with the Guard, but even with your example I still don't understand having a Chimera for the CCS in a gunline, so I'll take camo cloaks instead to make them a little harder to shift, or am I making them too expensive?

I've adjusted my army list and made an alternative one; taken some autocannons, dropped the ML on Platoon command to free up points for Marbo, as his demolition surprise will do a lot more than a missile.... or scatter wildly off target since the dice gods give me unreliable luck with pie plates.

Vendetta has melta-vets for last minute drops on objectives or targets of opportunity.

Company Command Section 155pts
-Sgt. Major Duke Larven w/ powerfist
-Plasma Gun, Lascannon
-Vox caster
-Master of Ordnance
-Camo cloaks

Guardsman Marbo 65pts

Infantry Platoon Alpha 405pts

Platoon Command 55pts
-Grenade Launcher
-Vox caster

x5 Infantry Sections 70pts each
x2 Heavy Bolters x3 autocannons, Grenade Launchers
-Vox casters

Penal Legion Squad 80pts

Veteran Squad 100pts
x3 Meltaguns

2 Scout Sentinels 80pts
-Autocannons

Leman Russ Battle Tank 'Iron Duke' 170pts
-Heavy bolter sponsons

Leman Russ Demolisher 'Ram' 165pts

Leman Russ Demolisher 'Charger' 165pts

Vendetta Gunship 130pts

Still not a hundred percent set on what to take. I thank you again for your help though. :)

EDIT: I've thought this through and think I'll go for this list, the Vendetta Vets should help plug the AT gap. :) Cheers Antique_Nova! Might tweak the first one for anit-horde instead. And use the second list as my general purpose one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts