Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya all I was curious about somethings was curious if anyone could help me :p

1) navigators do they control ships navagation all the time or just in warp travel?
2) how is time during the day measured? military time?
3) what format do they use for astral navagation XY axis in degrees?
4) what system do they use to measure starship speed when not in warp?
5) are starship captains plugged in the the ship like described in the gaunts ghost series? or are they walking around like star wars officers?
6) are navigators pluged in?
7) what imperial fleet space fighters are used in battlefleet gothic thunderbolts?
8) do space marines ever take off there armor? in barracks, prayer? to bathe?

I have some more that elude me at this time. if any one has the answers to these i appreciate it :p

Me :)

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
Hiya all I was curious about somethings was curious if anyone could help me :p

1) navigators do they control ships navagation all the time or just in warp travel?
Just in the Warp.
Navigation officers (which are different from the psyker type) control real-space navigation.
It depends on the conditions:
A planet will use its own day and night.
Ships, and planets without a particular day or night probably use Terran Standard Time (aka that of Earth; I don't really know what that is in the 41st millenium though)
Troops might do training with a different type of time measurement in preparation for a battle/campaign.
3) what format do they use for astral navagation XY axis in degrees?
I'm not sure what they use, but degrees probably wouldn't be that accurate since space doesn't really have "ups" or "downs".
Most likely they break up areas into mini-sectors.
*shrugs*
5) are starship captains plugged in the the ship like described in the gaunts ghost series? or are they walking around like star wars officers?
It really depends on the captain's preference and/or needs.
Most likely.
7) what imperial fleet space fighters are used in battlefleet gothic thunderbolts?
Some kinds of space craft they use:
-Fury interceptors
-Starhawk bombers
-Marauder bombers (until the Starhawk took its place as a space bomber)
-Thunderhawk gunships (Space Marines, Inquisition)

Although Lightnings and Thunderbolts are atmospheric craft, IA1 suggests that they do in fact have at least some space flight capability. I wouldn't say that the Imperium particularly uses these for space combat though. The space ability is mainly used for deploying these craft from orbit.
8) do space marines ever take off there armor? in barracks, prayer? to bathe?
Simple answer: yes

I have some more that elude me at this time. if any one has the answers to these i appreciate it :p

In the future, put posts like these in the 40k Army Fluff section ;)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Space Marines and Armor

In the Horus Heresy books it talks about the marines sitting in their rooms polishing out nicks in their armor. There is also one part where one of the main characters puts on a simple robe and goes to another part of the ship.

For Chaos Space Marines I think the story is a bit different. From what I have read most of them are fused into their armor. I am sure that some of them can take off some of their armor but from the fluff it also sounds like they fight over it - especially terminator armor and the like.

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
For Chaos Space Marines I think the story is a bit different. From what I have read most of them are fused into their armor. I am sure that some of them can take off some of their armor but from the fluff it also sounds like they fight over it - especially terminator armor and the like.
As with all things Chaos, it depends, really. Many are fused with their armor, many can take it off.

Even in gaunt's ghosts some captains are free to wonder. In most fluff i've read it's the bigger the ship the more immobile the captain.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the answers every one.

I thought of a couple more if some one could help

1) do Imperial ships have a name prefix before the name denoting imperial ship or number denoting class? I.E BB-64 USS Wisconsin.

2) how fast do imperial ships travel when not in warp travel?

·
351 Posts
No, they are psykers and sit on a throne that amplifies their ability.

2) how fast do imperial ships travel when not in warp travel?
Space has no limitation on speed, so in reality they can continue to accelerate infinetly. Maneuverability on the other hand is limited to it mass, so smaller ships can maneuver quicker.

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
Welcome to LO.

One should also note that the fighters and bombers employed by the Navy for space combat is a lot larger than the atmospheric variants. The Fury Interceptor is roughly 60 to 70 meters in length. The length of a Starhawk bomber is unknown, but they are probably even larger.

On captains, many stories contradict each other on that but I believe that the most common view is that a captain is wired into the ship itself, so he can better monitor what's going on and make all those adjustments to the tens of thousands of systems in a ship. Also, it fits the dark and grim atmosphere of 40k perfectly.

And finally, I point you to the fluff forum.
http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/40k-army-fluff/

·
Watcher In The Sky
1,083 Posts
Aboard ship probably ship-time.

Division of 24 hours into 8 hour shifts, hence 12 noon would be "mid (or hour 4) second shift". I did just make that bit up on the spot but it sounds plausible.

Sushicat69 said:
At a guess kilometres per second (space is big, you need to go fast)

Sushicat69 said:
do Imperial ships have a name prefix before the name denoting imperial ship or number denoting class?
No

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your answers every one I appreciate the clarifications.

Da mighty thanks for the welcome and the point. I miss understood what the fluff forum was for. Thought it was for stories not questions :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.