Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Librarium Online!

I picked up an IG codex last weekend out of curiosity and now the "want to start a new army" feeling has been buggin me all week.
So,
I wanna know what everyone thinks about a good way to start for IG. Obviously 500-1000 points is a good amount to get started with so I'm thinking the limit should be one or the other. Where I play my opponents are usually Marines and Orks. I'd definetly do Cadians but whats a good wargear config for company command? infantry squads? would I wanna go with heavy weapon teams at low points or shell out for tanks?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
We need a basis for the list you want to create. So... what kind of army would you like to make?

Here's some choices:

1) Foot
2) Foot + Artillery
3) Foot + Tanks
4) All Tanks/Artillery (Mech)
5) Air Cav

Or, you can just say what war movie you like best. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
First off, grab at least one of the new battleforce boxes. That'll give you a enough for two vet squads and a command squad (or a platoon squad if you so choose,) thus giving you a legal force right off the bat. From there you can buy a couple chimeras to make a mechanized force or buy more battleforce boxes to make more of an infantry horde, or maybe get some valkyries and run an airborne list. I really can't see a scenario where buying the battleforce box first isn't a good buy.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sand: Yeah I should have made that distinction. I've looked through everything for IG a few times and I really like the Valkyries and Cadian troops the best. So I guess that would be Air Calvary then...
Rannos: There's a lot of truth in that statment. I'd probably start off with a battleforce

·
Registered
97 Posts
shoot'em up

I'm a new guard player as well so my words are probably a little coloured by fighting against them with my orks.
I tried to create an ork-like horde list but realised its just not going to work, guard can't take things on in close combat & get away with it so are forced to be a shooty army, I think the shootier the better.
I definitely agree the battleforce is the way to go maybe a huge squad of 55 with a medic, 6 Autocannon & a priest just in case. This should hold an objective and may force the opponent to throw too much foward so reserve valkarie can drop in with vets or stormtroops? Would even have points left over for those Sentinels you get in the boxs.

·
1,648 Posts
The Platoon Command Squad can't combine with the Infantry Squads so you'd have a 5-man squad and a 50-man squad. No giving FNP to the horde, unfortunately.

·
2,076 Posts
Before you buy any models at all you should try making up some lists that you think you would like to try.
Battle force is a good way to start alright.
But if you assemble the 25 men one way, then decide you don't want to use the weapons you have built, you will need to start smashing off limbs.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good point Omegoku, right now I don't really have the time or funds to get an IG army up and running (also have ~1500 space wolves I'm painting up from Xmas)... I'll definetly post a list that I might consider when I get a chance to read more into it but from what I have read I have a few questions.

Company Command Squad
is a medi-pack/carapace armor combo good for upgrades?

and

Are vox casters worth the points?

Also would like to thank everyone thusfar for helping me :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
For the ccs is depends what you're using it for and what they're armed with. Generally, however, I'd avoid it. I run my CCS with just camo cloaks to take advantage of the cover save they'll get from the infantry squads they'll sit behind. I'd only really think about running them with either of those options if I was running plasmaguns in the squad to try an negate Get's Hot.

Vox casters are really useful in an infantry horde/gunline army to ensure order success, but I run that kind of army and haven't used a vox yet, so I'm not really sure of they're worth. In my 'dream' lists I combine two platoon squads together and only run one with a vox to increase its effectiveness. Anyways, all in all, vox casters are just something I'd tack on if you have points to spare or are REALLY relying on orders.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so ive been flippin thru the codex again and I was curious about the Basilisk, does its range mean that it cant shoot anything less that 36" away? and what is the best strategy to use with them?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yes it does mean that. When used have a large infantry force to keep enemies at bay. Only use in 1000 point or above matches on large boards. Set up near edge of board. Once my friend took out an entire Marine army in a 1000 point match in the first 4 with his basilisk mostly(he used a russ to destroy an entire tactical squad) by putting the basilisk in a corner and making a ring of infantry around it. He destroyed the entire command squad first turn! My point is basilisks can do great things or just end up getting in your way. So use carefully

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so with all of this in mind...

If I were to want to make a 500 pt IG army based on say.... 2 Battleforces and a CCS what would you guys recommend?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts