Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ermm.. Who is this magnus dude, Cause i've seen like.. many models of him in inquistior, a genestealer one and a chaos one,

and i've also seen some other genestealer models the classic ones.. for 40k,

Ermm.. please like help ^^

In advance, Narko

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The Genestealers Magus is one of the two leaders of a Genestealer cult. The Patriarch is the other. Usually a Magus is a fourth generation hybrid with strong psychic powers, whose human ancestors were chosen for their psychic potential.

I don't know if this link is a competitor or not, I think not.

Here's a sample genestealer cult army list.

http://torchlight.org.uk/Tyranids/Tyranid_Army_Variations_Genestealer_Cult.php

If you want more info, let me know.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Several generations (I think 4, as grey said) into the genestealer life cycle, the cult will produce a magus. Genestealers are programmed to do this.

A magus is a psychically gifted genestealer hybrid capable of channelling some of the majesty of the hivemind. He's also a powerful beacon to hive fleets, as he shows a genestealer cult is growing and prospering.

So basically what grey said.

That list is odd though.. doesn't read like a 3rd/4th ed 40k list.. too complex, and too many special rules and exceptions.

Edit: I've suddenly realised how confusing this post is, because there is also a chaos character for inquisitor called Magnus. Which did you mean? ;)

·
Banned
507 Posts
Thats Marneus, not Magnus. Marneus Calgar, to be more exact.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The_Giant_Mantis said:
Several generations (I think 4, as grey said) into the genestealer life cycle, the cult will produce a magus. Genestealers are programmed to do this.

A magus is a psychically gifted genestealer hybrid capable of channelling some of the majesty of the hivemind. He's also a powerful beacon to hive fleets, as he shows a genestealer cult is growing and prospering.

So basically what grey said.

That list is odd though.. doesn't read like a 3rd/4th ed 40k list.. too complex, and too many special rules and exceptions.

Edit: I've suddenly realised how confusing this post is, because there is also a chaos character for inquisitor called Magnus. Which did you mean? ;)

Yeah, that list isn't a good example, just the first thing I happened to find when I did a search. Basically you've got....

Phase #1:patriarch and perhaps other purestrain genestealers come into contact with host species, perhaps due to landing on new planet, perhaps due to encounter on space hulk, whatever. Patriarch and purestrains implant their seed in the host species using their ovipositors. Ewww.

Phase #2. First generation genestealers are born from host species. Due to either changes in body chemistry or the genestealers hypnotic powers, the parents are slavishly loyal to their children and will protect them at any cost. First generation genestealers go on to infect more members of the host species. Secrecy is paramount at this point since the cult is small and the first generation still look quite alien.

Phase #3. Second and later third generation genstealers are born. Tend to have many more physical and mental characteristics of the host species by this point, often including an ability to take advantage of the host species technology. Still retain the hypnotic abilities common to all genestealers. The cult, with its emphasis on protecting 'children' and a coming golden age grows larger and stronger. The cults 'blood brothers', ie: the hosts species members of the cult often are chosen members of the planets military or civillian government infrastructure.

Phase #4. The fourth generation hybrids are born which can pass as the host species and the true process of infiltration is begun. The fourth generation hybrids(which include the Magus) can only reproduce by sexual means, their ovipositors no longer being available.

Phase #5. New purestrains are born from the fourth generation hybrids activities.(Don't ask me how they went from being mostly host species back to pure, it doesn't make sense to me either.) By this point the cult will probably engage in open warfare for control of the planet. If successful, we go onto...

Phase #6. If the Tyrannids have not shown up yet to eat the planet, or the host species hasn't wiped them out, the genestealer cult now sends its seed back into space, often having the host species members of the cult build ships with life support chambers to accomplish this. However, even with these, often only the purestrains are still alive bythe time they reach a new breeding ground, so the process starts all over.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Grey said:
Phase #1:patriarch and perhaps other purestrain genestealers come into contact with host species, perhaps due to landing on new planet, perhaps due to encounter on space hulk, whatever. Patriarch and purestrains implant their seed in the host species using their ovipositors. Ewww.
Hmm.. interesting.. Does anyone know whether the broodlord has replaced the Patriach? I would think so. I mean, it's a bigger genestealer, it's pretty much the same thing.

Fluffwise, I believe the broodlord/patriach is the first genestealer to make planetfall.. This causes chemical changes which develop it into the leader organism it is.

As for why brood brothers obey.. The infant hybrids growing in their bodies actually consume part of their brain. They're lobotomized slaves.

·
I Endure
660 Posts
i thought magnus was leader of the ultra marines ya now the guy who has ths the bolters strapped to power fists
Not thinking of Ultra Magnus from Transformers are you?

Fluffwise, I believe the broodlord/patriach is the first genestealer to make planetfall.. This causes chemical changes which develop it into the leader organism it is.
Yep, the patriarch is the oldest Genestealer in the cult. To add a little to what Mantis said, the physiological changes also cause the brood-telepathy thing that Genestealers do to become far more advanced and more powerful, enabling the Hive-mind to detect the cult.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts