Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a Necron army and we've played numerous times, but I can never seem to beat him. Our last game was utterly pathetic and I got demolished. We play 1500pt armies which means I have to bring practically every model I own, but I'm about to buy a bunch more stuff. What do you guys think about my army list and what do you think I should buy to replace what I have? Any tactical ideas?

My list:

HQ
Archon - agoniser, splinter pistol, shadow field, combat drugs
Retinue - 5 Incubi, 2 Warriors with Splinter Cannons
292 pts

Elite
10 Wyches - Wych Weapons
Succubus - Agoniser
Raider
213 pts

5 Warpbeasts with Beastmaster
75 pts

Troops
10 Warriors - 2 Dark Lances
100 pts
10 Warriors - 1 Splinter Cannon, 1 Blaster
Sybarite - Agoniser
Raider
176 pts
13 Warriors - 2 Splinter Cannons, 2 Blasters
Sybarite - Agoniser, Haywire Grenade (to even up the points)
164 pts

Fast Attack
5 Reaver Jetbikes - 2 Blasters
145 pts

Heavy Support
Talos
100 pts
Talos
100 pts
Ravager - 2 Disintegrators, Night Shield
135 pts

TOTAL = 1500 pts

·
Registered
89 Posts
First, drop the warriors from your retinue. Mixing retinues are generally a bad idea because you are trying to do too many things. Either use those points to add another reaver and make them two squads with blasters, or make your footslogging squad larger.

I would also reccommend taking the warriors out of your raider and giving it to your HQ. Then try to make two footslogging squads. If you are short on points drop the agonizers on the sybarites and give them poison blades. Make sure wyches have whych weapons and plasma nades. HQ also needs plasma.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input dwalker.

Personally, I like the warriors with the cannons in my retinue. Since Incubi can't fleet of foot they are worthless in the shooting phase and this gives them a few shots before they get into close combat. I can also allocate the wounds from power weapons and such to the warriors instead of letting my precious Incubi get cut up. Just a preference I guess.
But yes, I agree with putting my HQ in a raider. They are sooo freaking slow just footslogging across the board and are usually pretty beat up by the time they get anywhere.
I haven't really ever needed to use plasma grenades, but that probably is a good idea. I've only played armies that have good armor and don't use cover much. (Necrons and SM), but if I ever play an army that does use it I could be in trouble. Everything depends on going first when the DE are so fragile!
I'm thinking about adjusting my list as follows:
-drop a talos and take another identical ravager
-drop the jetbikes
-drop the retinue and 1 wych and let my archon join up with the wyches
-add another identical raider squad
-add another DL squad
this gives 1492 pts and I can use the 8 for another warrior in the footslogging unit or a couple haywire nades
Any thoughts?

·
Registered
569 Posts
I can understand how you like having Splinter cannons in your retinue although against MEQ armies they aren't the best weapons to have... and incubi totally own MEQ's in close combat.

THe best way to defeat Necrons is play to Dark Eldar's strengths of speed and firepower. And manipulate the weaknesses of Necrons... they are slow and generally have short ranged weapons...

Gunboat raider squads can be great for this and it is one of those few times that having night sheilds on Riaders pay off.

If you can look at taking 2-3 Ravangers all with disintegrators... watch as you blow holes in the necron warriors and with no models left in the units that means that they can't get a will be back roll!

I don't really think that blasters are the best option when fighting Necrons as their range is too short which means that the Necrons will be able to shoot you...

Then the basic premise is that you take out their destroyers and then keep your distance as you shoot them to bits...

If he takes a monolith avoid it as best as you can and try to phase them out....

So take a nice unit of incubi and archon on Raider

As many gunboat raider squads as you can

And to finish it off as many Ravangers as you can with dissies...

I find that always works... as you hold back and shoot them to bits and then hold the raider with the Incubi and Archon to assault anything that gets close...

Wyches can be nice although their lack of armour and if a monolith is on the table will mean they will get decimated and aren't worth it...

My thoughts anyway... hope they help

·
Registered
89 Posts
I definately like your second list better. Now your HQ can get where he needs to, plus he supports the whyches well. You may consider arming him with tormentor helm, punisher, and animus vitae so he can wound cron's on 2+ with the strength combat drug. The extra ravager should help blow holes in thir gun lines. You can use your remaining talos to advance with your footslogging squads to make sure they are supported if they for some reason gget into CC.

Malkieth's advice is also good, just depends on your style of play. I personally like my warriros to be on foot, but flying around blowing holes in the enemy is also a sound strategy. And yes, ignore the monolith, just make him phase out.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Here is around 1300pts which will be great at taking down Necrons...

HQ
Archon, Punisher Tormentor helm, combat drugs, shadow field
5 Incubi 2 warriors 2 Dark Lances on Raider - Dissie Night Shields

Troops

5 Warriors - Dark Lance on Raider - Dissie, Night Shields

Heavy Support

Ravanger 3 Dissies Night Sheilds

Because of your range advantage you can sit stationary and get the most out of all the dissies and dark lances for a turn or two. I've used similar lists against some necron players when I get annoyed and depending on their army selection I have had them phase out by second to third turn!

·
Registered
724 Posts
lol
The bearded one :C strikes again.
that list would def win.
my advise is to get 4 warriors squads SC's and blasters sergeant with poisoned blades.
3 ravagers and what ever else ya like.
stand back and shoot when they get close enough move FOF and charge.
don't try to get range with blasters wait for them to come into range, whether or not to use blasters is a question.

what everyone else said is good advise

·
Archite of Caerbannog
1,582 Posts
Any chance of knowing what your opponent might field in his Necron army?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well he's got alot of models and plenty of choices. The last game we played he took something like this:

-Deceiver
-26 Warriors
-5 Destroyers
-2 Heavy Destroyers (in 2 units)
-Scarab Swarm of 7 with disruption fields
-Monolith

He basically had me beat in turn 2. I had lost my ravager, my raider of wyches (by a scarab swarm), my jetbikes from the destroyers and my DL squad was running from the particle whip. It was sad.

·
Archite of Caerbannog
1,582 Posts
Hokey smokes! Deciever and a Monolith? I am no longer bothered with tailoring your list however I am not sure we can defeat this power-gaming list without power-gaming yourself.

Archon - agoniser, splinter pistol, shadow field, combat drugs
Retinue - 5 Incubi, 2 Warriors with Splinter Cannons
292 pts
I don’t like mixed retinues as they tend to counter act each other. For example, you get close to the enemy for a charge with your Incubi but the splinter cannons fire and kill off the models in your charge radius. Safety is being in close combat and Incubi are devastating if they can make it into CC, don’t jeopardize the charge, don’t fire anything.

If you insist on a retinue would say either go all Incubi or none at all. If you want the Archon to be with warriors then take a Raider squad and leave room for the Archon. The Archon can be attached at the beginning of the game but can always detach when he disembarks and 12” charge.

As for the Incubi, they are great if you get them into close combat but I find they get stranded a lot (especially if the necrons your fighting gets teleported away). Although they pack a punch they never seem to make it to the next assault – I probably would pass on the Incubi in a “rush” list like yours.

I would seriously consider 5 grotesques on a raider to be accompanied by the Archon. The grotesques special rule of causing “fall back” is tremendous and with an Archon I will easily say you will win combat. Remember, once you “sweep” them, they can not come back! The trick though is to get into close combat.

I will also recommend a 2nd HQ – I would drop the reaver jetbikes altogether and with the points either get a Dracon or Dracite (or even a couple of Haemoculi) as your strength against the Necrons is close combat. If you can send a Lord solo into their destroyers or heavy destroyers you will easily defeat them. I would take another agoniser and would make room on the wych raiders for the lord to start the game on. I personally like the Dracite but the Haemoculus are more in theme.

10 Wyches - Wych Weapons
Succubus - Agoniser
Raider
Not sure what this squad has but I would add plasma grenades and drop 2 wyches to ake room for 1 or 2 lords

[/B]5 Warpbeasts with Beastmaster
75 pts
Nice – send them after the H. Destroyers.

10 Warriors - 2 Dark Lances
100 pts
10 Warriors - 1 Splinter Cannon, 1 Blaster
Sybarite - Agoniser
Raider
176 pts
13 Warriors - 2 Splinter Cannons, 2 Blasters
Sybarite - Agoniser, Haywire Grenade (to even up the points)
164 pts
These are all fine.

Fast Attack
5 Reaver Jetbikes - 2 Blasters
145 pts
I would drop these entirely but if you want to keep them then consider dropping them down to 3 max with 2 blasters. Use the points elsewhere.

Talos
100 pts
Talos
100 pts
I like using Talos against the Necrons however only in a WWP list where I can get them there without being shot. Since this is a “rush” list then I would seriously consider replacing them with ravagers. The Talos is too slow and will die before they get to the middle of the board. I had great success with mine but it was a portal list – they each killed a tomb spyder and swept 10 necrons each!

Ravager - 2 Disintegrators, Night Shield
135 pts
Not sure about the nightshields but if I need points elsewhere then I would ditch the night shields first. If they work for you then keep it. The ravager is awesome against the necrons and are probably the most important part as they kill off Necrons easily. If anything get priority for cover its these guys as the destroyers are going to be aiming for this guy.

One additional tidbit – I would have no qualms in using a Goblet of Spite wych squad against this army. I use them a lot in ‘take-all-comers’ lists but this unit would shine in taking out the monolith. 5 wyches with blasters and haywires and a succubus with aggy and the goblet can charge the ‘lith and place haywires on a “3+” - with 6 haywires you have a great chance of destroying it! Not sure where you would get the points though.

I dunno, that Necron list is total power-gaming and I am not sure I would want to play against it even for fun. Good luck and happy hunting!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts