Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey you guys, so I decided to start by using my Christmas money to buy a Warhammer 40K set to get started. I have never played Warhammer 40K before and I was always interested. I have chosen to use Space Marines. Which set is the best and most efficient starter set for 150 bucks or less that I could buy just to get started out with?

·
464 Posts
I would say that a good bet would be to go with the Black Reach box set. It comes with two small forces, but if you are into the space marines it is the way to go. It also comes with all the dice, templates and most importantly...The little rule book which is priceless.

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
Yeah, for sheer efficiency, Black Reach is the way to go. If you can find an Ork player willing to swap his unwanted Marines for your Unwanted Orks, you're in great shape.

The price you pay for Black reach is actually less than the cost of the rulebook, templates, dice and rulers you get in the box (if bought on their own) - the models are effectively free!

·
464 Posts
Yeah, for sheer efficiency, Black Reach is the way to go. If you can find an Ork player willing to swap his unwanted Marines for your Unwanted Orks, you're in great shape.

The price you pay for Black reach is actually less than the cost of the rulebook, templates, dice and rulers you get in the box (if bought on their own) - the models are effectively free!
We almost sound like red shirts...perhaps there is a future for us with careers in Greed Workshops retail sales.

·
464 Posts
As long you don't mind the lack of customability, Black Reach is a good deal.
When you start, you start small. When I first started Warmachine and I bought me a starter set that had like three war-jacks and a jackcaster. I was thrilled with the game and my army only grew from there. I have yet to play the Black Reach orks vs Boys in blue, but I bet it would be fun to play a game with so few points again. Looking back, I now have like five different armies in 40k and when we plan our next games, it is always bigger and better, but sometimes the more tactically challenging games are the ones where you are glad to have two units and an HQ at all.

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
2 halves of a Black Reach set are indeed perfect. Find an Ork player to split with or sell off the Orky bits on eBay, craigslist, bartertown, or whatever.

That'll give you:
10 Terminators
2 Captains (easy to convert into other characters)
20 Marines (2 missile launchers, 2 flamers)
2 Dreadnoughts

At a minimum that's 1180, plenty for a good starter army all for around 75 bucks.

After that, I'd recommend 2 Rhinos. They give your marines necessary mobility and protection. Kit your Captain out to be a Librarian, scavenge bits to give 2 of your Terminators cyclone launchers

That should add up to:
Librarian w/ Null Zone, Gate of Infinity
10 Terminators, 2 w/ cyclones
2x Dreads-multi-meltas and heavy flamers
2x 10 Tacticals, missile launcher, flamer, combi-melta, Rhino

1200 points even. From there you can pick up a pair of Predators and Speeders to round out your army and bring you up to 1500. That's a good array of vehicles, flexible weapon sets, and giant unit of Termies to take any punishment thrown their way.

·
Egg Head Miniatures:fbook
1,900 Posts
As all the others have said, the Assault on Black Reach set is the best start. Once you have it play loads of games to get your head around the game before getting anythng else. You may well loose loads of games at first but see the games as a learning curve. You will get your head around what works and what doesn't. This will also help you work out what would be a good purchase next. Try to avoid buying what looks shiny but instead buy what will add to your force tactically.

I do hope you enjoy the game as much as we all do and good luck fighting with the Emperors finest.

·
Thinks he's a big deal
1,233 Posts
We almost sound like red shirts...perhaps there is a future for us with careers in Greed Workshops retail sales.
The simple fact is that it's an amazing deal. Of course, it doesn't include everything... and the rest of the stuff (just for Orks and Space Marines) levels out the cost so they break even with small armies, and clean up everywhere else.

That, my friends, is good business.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i do like the black reach set it is at a good price and has a good selection of models to play with, if you like space marines id also say buy codex space marines as it will allow you even more choices to add to your army and also any chapter codex that interests you such as codex dark angels or codex space wolves.
even so the people here will help the advice i have been given here has proven invaluable, but even more invaluable is actual gaming experience if you have friends that play 40k cool awesome invite them round , clubs are also a good start point, after that hobby shops such as gw's etc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.