Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey got a question for all of you on here with Gfs or wives.

Now my partner often hates alot of the things I enjoy until I convince her to try them then she usually loves them.
Shes always hated 40k but i think it was more to do with not liking the friends I played with not the game.
Well I finally convinced her to let me show her some of the real simple stuff bit of moving shooting etc but real simplified. She didnt hate this as much as she thought.
I recon that it would be cool if I could get her into 40k so my question to you all is what would you do next to ease her into the hobby? Or conversly is this a really bad idea should I avoid it at all costs and why?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

·
Dear All Concerned...
393 Posts
Dear All Concerned,

Just a few things you could try:

1. Show her the "Sisters of Battle", although it seems like a seterotype, women seem to think it is a cool army.
2. Convert a model for her, such as the spellsinger or even just a normal model.
3. Get her a few troops t paint.

Hope this Helped!

-ythc

·
Sadomachiatto
7,076 Posts
Show her all the armies,

tell her about them honestly.
Don't treat her like a simpleton,

Don't put any pressure on her - let her get into it from her own volition. That's always more valuable :D

Papa K.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys
Yeh been slowly easing her in think the biggest thing will be getting her to step into the local store and not be freaked out by all the geeks and what not lol.
Already given her a little display peace with to Harlequins training/dancing in it for christmas which she loved.
Though I think shes kinda scared off by the size of the rule book.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Id have to say your probably best off not trying to get her into the hobby. Instead just tell her about it and explain different things and if and when she shows an interest, then look at the possibility of her beginning an amy etc.

Maybe let her paint some of your figs for now, play with your army if she wants too, etc.

·
Sadomachiatto
7,076 Posts
A lot of girls seem to prefer the building/painting side of it.. so it seems. Not all girls mind you... (never get into a rules debate with Process >_< ).

But.. it's a wide and varied hobby.. so you know your girlfriend, find the parts which appeal to her.

If she doesn't like your wargeek company, then I'd really not recommend a store.. they're full of geeks and they smell bad.

Just do something between you two on your dining room table or something. :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeh something on the dinning table sounds fun;)
I think ill just have to give it a go if it works she will love it if not im just going to have to join those smelly people in the store.(which of course she wont like ether)

·
I'm Back!
2,351 Posts
Never take her into a GW store. you will freak her out with all the geeks and pushy employees. I remeber one time this guy brought his girl friend to the store and as soon as she left all the geeks were like"WOW! did you see that smoking hot babe... oh the things i would do to her!!!"

- my suggestion: just tell her stuff about the game every once in a while, but dont be all like "hey do you want to learn how to play!" if she has any interest, she'll ask you about it. otherwise if she seems hesitant just forget about it.

oh and if you get her to play a game dont be all like"Ha ha ah my ubber unit of doom just Pwned your entire army by turn 2... yeah i win." that leads to divorce or a breakup real fast.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definaatly would aim to beat her into the ground id never hear the end of that kind of behavior.
Your right about the store though I really can see a good couple of the guys there doing that.

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
Like Karmoon mentioned, its not exactly for everyone, but girls do tend to find the modelling/painting parts appealing. Just a suggestion to get a start

Though I think shes kinda scared off by the size of the rule book.
Don't show her the BGB, show the booklet that comes in the Battle of Macragge set. It looks much less threatening, and still contains the essential rules. Or, you could try explaining that the rule book has big print and part of its bulk is because its full of background details

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeh talking to her last night I said that same thing about how half the book isnt rules at all i think it helped.
Definatly getting the same kind of comments over and over so looks like thats the way to do it.

Wondering though wether any of you have actually used this adivse yourselves and atleast tryed to get your misses into it and how that went down.

·
I'm Back!
2,351 Posts
Wondering though wether any of you have actually used this adivse yourselves and atleast tryed to get your misses into it and how that went down.
Well, when the shit went down, it was game over man... game over! She came out of the trees man, she came out of the trees! I lost my entire squad that day, I now am missing my left eye and suffer from post traumatic stress disorder. oh god, here comes a flash back...BOOM DAKKA DAKKA *sounds of dying men screaming*

no I've never tried, but considering my first girlfriend was a total B**** and my new girlfriend isn't really a full relationship, i'd say it would go badly.

·
I'm Back!
2,351 Posts
Yeh id think itd be just one of those things you only bring up after a long time.
How good is your relationship with your GF? have you been going out for just a few days, weeks, months, or have you been together for years?

·
Set Sail and Conquer!
1,633 Posts
My advice would be to just not push her. If she wants to play, let her. If she's not sure, just let her see what you are doing, and let her be interested (or not) on her own accord.

You're lucky just to have a gf who doesn't think its all really childish ect... anyway - I'm in the same boat. My girlfriend doesn't want to play, but she does buy me miniatures from time to time! :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
My girlfriend has been playing 40k longer then I have. <3 Unfortunately she is having issues with 40k lately (ex-step dad being a jerk, difficulty with transportation, etc) so she hasn't been able to play for a while.

That said, of all the girls i've met who play 40k of their own volition (all four of them), here is the breakdown of what they play:

Two play Nuns with Guns (Pure Witch hunters forces, my girlfriend falls in to this category)
One Plays Chaos (Slaanesh. Coincidentally, I have begun to suspect she is a Slaanesh worshiper IRL)
One used to play Orks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeh shes pritty good with this she acepts it buys me models and loves my painting so well just have to see.
If she does come play shell be the only girl ive ever seen who does.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.