Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to make an army based around turning enemies into spawn. What are some ways to maximise the effectiveness of this ability? Iwould appreciate any tip tactics or lists that might help me make this work.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Have many Sorcerers, like Thousand Sons.

Give them all at least Gift in addition to anything else.

Take Ahriman as an HQ choice.

Get them in range.

Profit.

It helps to only target important models; champions, multi-wound characters, etc.

Avoid fighting anti-psyker armies' or Gift them first.

Make sure to have plenty of spawn models.

·
Registered
277 Posts
While I don't want to base an army around it, I am very interested in Gift too. The problem that I see is that you have to get within charge range to do it, meaning you are unlikely to get it off more than once in a game, combined with the difficulty of actually pulling it off once you pass you psychic test makes it seem way too hard to use.

It is also a bit redundant with the similar close-quarters psychic power (force weapon) that they get free it seems like a waste compared to something that can do damage at range (lash, Bolt etc.) that can be subbed for a force weapon when things get close...

Does anyone have any ideas for someone who may only be taking one psycher?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hmmm.

Well bear in mind that i'm a complete noob to chaos and the game in general, so take this suggestion with a pinch of salt.

As mentioned Ahriman is a good choice for this kind of strat. Another option that I would consider though is a Sorceror with Mark of Slaanesh, familiar and wings. Give him Gift of Chaos and Lash of Submission. The idea here being that he can jump around, making it easier to get in range with the Gift, and use lash of submission to pull them closer if needed. Only problem I foresee is if you fail those Psychic tests, because then it's easier for the enemy to hit you in response. ;?

Damn, I hope that's not more complicated then it needs to be, and that it would actually work
:?

·
LO Oldie
1,248 Posts
im on the wagon too for gift of chaos, its gonna be the psychic power on my winged daemon prince. Simply for how cool it is, who cares if warptime is cheaper and probably better, turning models into spawn is just.... awesome!

:drinking:

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
Munch said:
Plus it could give you a philological advantage.
Rabbit said:
How in the world does Gifts have anything to do with philology?
In my experience there are few beings less verbal than the Spawns of Chaos, so if your fallen Librarian starts a philogical discussion with say a SM Librarian or a Farseer and they start getting the upper hand you just turn them into a spawn and voilá, you win.

Back on topic though, I think one of the best things about Gift is that it's the one attack spell (some disagree on this though) that even an Aspiering Sorcerer can use twice in a turn. It's general wickedness also makes the dicegod favourable.

So I often have one or two units of Sons kept for countercharge, they could be like the wall everything must charge through in order to get to the core of your army. Those two squads makes sure nothing comes through without losing at least one important model.

·
Festo Diata
917 Posts
Gift of Chaos may be used while in combat, remember.

Also, it must be used at the beginning of the turn.. which virtually guarantees that you have to be in combat for it to be in range. For this I suggest:

Tzeentch Sorceror 175 Points
-Gift of Chaos
-Terminator Armour (optional)

..used with a bodyguard of combat troops (Khorne Berserkers, Noise Marines). A Tzeentch Sorceror can use 2 Psychic Powers in a turn, so take advantage and use Gift twice. Alternatively, you could pair him with a unit of Thousand Sons for 4 Gift of Chaos options per turn..

Attractive choice.. ;Y

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
..used with a bodyguard of combat troops (Khorne Berserkers, Noise Marines). A Tzeentch Sorceror can use 2 Psychic Powers in a turn, so take advantage and use Gift twice. Alternatively, you could pair him with a unit of Thousand Sons for 4 Gift of Chaos options per turn..

Attractive choice.. ;Y
Except that T.S. sorcerer don't get the benefit of firing two psi powers each turn. That option is only available to sorcerers with the IoT ;).

·
Registered
125 Posts
You should check the rules for tzeentch sorcerers using powers again in the chaos Codex. It says you can use 2 powers in a turn, not one power twice. This means you unfortunately cannot use gift twice with an asp champ. A pity me thinks :(.

·
Festo Diata
917 Posts
Ang said:
You should check the rules for tzeentch sorcerers using powers again in the chaos Codex. It says you can use 2 powers in a turn, not one power twice. This means you unfortunately cannot use gift twice with an asp champ. A pity me thinks :(.
I'm not sure Codex: Chaos Space Marines specifies whether a Psychic Power can be used multiple times in a turn..

I am sure it does not say "not one power twice."

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts

I'm without my BGB, and so, I'm unsure whether there's a blip that limits a psyker to only casting a single power once per turn or not. However, it's not mentioned in the chaos codex. On p.88 of the Chaos 'dex, it states for models with the IoT that, "...may attempt to use two psychic powers per turn (but not two that both count as firing a weapon). There's no restriction on using the same power twice, so long as it's not a 'shooting' power. At least, this is the RaW of it, or how I see the RaW of it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The way i read that means the chaos codex allows tzeentch psykers to cast 2 different powers.

Edit:

I'll ask a question: as a comparison, the rules for monstrous creatures allow them to fire up to two weapons in a turn. Can they fire one weapon twice ?.

I'm going to go out on a limb and presume you are going to answer no to this, as no one i know uses carnifexes with repeat firing venom cannons etc. So if that doesn't let you use something twice, why would something with pretty much the exact wording allow you to do it.

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
Ang said:
I'll ask a question: as a comparison, the rules for monstrous creatures allow them to fire up to two weapons in a turn. Can they fire one weapon twice ?.
A weapon is limited by laws of physics as it is a physical object. A psychic power does not need to suffer from those limitations so I must say your comparison is somewhat misguiding.

But once it has been FAQ-ified by GW we will all know the official answer.

·
Festo Diata
917 Posts
A weapon is limited by laws of physics as it is a physical object. A psychic power does not need to suffer from those limitations so I must say your comparison is somewhat misguiding.
I agree.

Also, Gift of Chaos does not count as firing a weapon; Codex: Chaos Space Marines specifies that 2 psychic powers may be used a turned by a Tzeentch Sorceror unless they are both powers used in lieu of the model's normal Shooting. So..

I view it as more of an Assault Phase psychic power. Just because the rules seem say you can't use the same power twice, does not mean they do not.

Time will tell.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.