Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i am going to purchase and paint my Eldar Pathfinders soon. I have the idea that I want them to be in gilli suits (you know the snipers wear that looks like a grass covering). So i have a couple ideas but dont know what would be the best or if anyone had advice.

My first idea was to use modeling putty (GS or whatever) and put a texture for the suits. I am going only apply the texture on thier cloak and arm/leg armor plates. I was think of taking a grid material (no idea how big yet) and smushing the putty repeatedly until i get a texture similar to grass.

My other idea was to simply use static flock/grass to those areas.

I think the putty idea would look a lot better, but the static flock would be a lot easier. Any opinions or other ideas? Thanks in advance!

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
Good question. I was looking into this for another project myself, for a while.

Basically, the static grass idea might look most natural of all, and if you've seen enough movies (Clear and Present Danger is the most recent one I can think of) or looked at enough pictures you can figure out where to place it, how long to make it, etc. I imagine you'd apply it the same way you apply it to bases, by sticking one end of the grass in some PVA glue, then sticking it on the model. If you really want it to look natural, like Chavez's "sneaky b*****d" gear in the abovementioned movie, be prepared to glue multiple "tufts" over a particular area, preferably of varying lengths.

Trouble is, I don't know about where you live, but for me it's hard to find grass in colors other than green, so if you want to do any other color you'd be outta luck, and for that matter, grass is not the only stuff they make ghillie suits out of, so putty's not a bad idea either. I guess it depends on what the ghillie suit is supposed to blend in with. Since this is a sci-fi universe, anthing goes. Are you imagining these guys hiding in grassland? Underbrush? Up in the trees? Each answer will suggest a different type of suit, and all sorts of different colors. Picking up some leaf flock, if you can find it, would look cool, too. "Autumn" leaves (model railroad shops sell this stuff) would be interesting and colorful.

If you are going to sculpt putty, check out GW's Web site for tutorials on making fur and other complex sculpts. There are lots of tutorials online on similar subjects. Check CoolMiniOrNot and I think Brushthralls.com has some GS tutorials, too.

One more parting thought: Ever consider doing both putty AND flock?

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
I would say be very carfull, the point of camoflage is to hide things, but on model terms, the point is to make models look like they are camoflaged, rather than to actually hide thing, static grass would be best or bits of lichen, but it will tend to look like a model covered in bits of scenery that you loose a lot rather than a cool and realistic sniper

·
loves purple tyranids
601 Posts
In my opinion the best gilli suit is when you take a thin mesh screening and then coat it with thin patches of static grass. then if you want you can take gs and make it into a leaf or two. then put this onto the suit. I have done this many times and I think it looks great. GOOD LUCK.

·
Undersecretary of Decay
184 Posts
This may be an expensive option depending on where you live, but would likely produce exactly the results you are looking for. Brass etched leaves and other flora. I thought forgeworld made this stuff, but I guess I was wrong. I got intrigued, and went looking. This is what I found:

Grass for wargames, dioramas, scratch building, scenic modeling,s cale modeling

Check it out, it may just be exactly what you are looking for. The whole site contains things that would be great for the kind of thing you are thinking. There is grass, leaves, vines, all sorts of stuff. Here's to ya! :drinking:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think they actually have an article about this on the games workshop site

Warhammer 40,000 - Catachan Jungle Fighters

see if that helps
While this might look neat, as Cher said, you look like you are not going with a model but a lump of scenery.

I like the idea with the different flocks and leaves, although i might just sub some static grass into that mix instead of leaves. As i stated, i dont want to cover the whole model in scenery. I am just going to be adding it to the cloak and then some specific armor plates. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
*Update*

As an update to this thread i am going to post some pics of my results.

I used strictly modeling putty (ProCreative to be exact) to model the suits onto the cloaks. After looking at actual pictures of ghillie suits it looks more like a sasquach then anything else. As such I modeling hair texture onto the models. Here is how they turned out.

Thanks

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
That looks like a pretty good result! I like it.

Ninja Pathfinders... :ninja3: Good job!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts