Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I one day bought 5 grey knights and then, just for painting got some Kaskrin to paint. I wondered if there was any way; at all (im desperate) to incorporate these into my SM army

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm pretty sure SMS can take GKs as an ally but I'm not 100% sure. They have to count as elites don't they?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Yes, an SM army may take Daemonhunter allies (including Grey Knights). You're allowed 0-1 HQ, 0-1 Elite, 0-2 Troops, 0-1 Fast Attack, and no Heavy Support. You said you bought Grey Knights, but didn't specify if they're in terminator or power armor. If they're in Terminator armor, they can be either an HQ or Elite choice (and the HQ version allows you to take a Grand Master, a ridiculously good melee character). If they're in power armor, you may take them as either Troops or Fast Attack. Troop GK units work as any other unit, while FA GK units may Deepstrike in EVERY mission (even if the scenario rules forbid it).

·
Registered
443 Posts
mEGALOMANIAC said:
Yes, an SM army may take Daemonhunter allies (including Grey Knights). You're allowed 0-1 HQ, 0-1 Elite, 0-2 Troops, 0-1 Fast Attack, and no Heavy Support. You said you bought Grey Knights, but didn't specify if they're in terminator or power armor. If they're in Terminator armor, they can be either an HQ or Elite choice (and the HQ version allows you to take a Grand Master, a ridiculously good melee character). If they're in power armor, you may take them as either Troops or Fast Attack. Troop GK units work as any other unit, while FA GK units may Deepstrike in EVERY mission (even if the scenario rules forbid it).

I just wanted to point this out. If you get a GM with ret. then its somewhere around 500 points with out any upgrades or wargear. IMO when I use GK allies I use the regular guys in squads of 10 because 5 is crap as fast attack so i can deep strike them.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've used them before, but I think for SM its just to expensive, and iffy.
A squad with 4 GKs and a justicar costs the same as 10 marines! Thats just too much for me!

HPA

·
Registered
396 Posts
The Grand-Master with retinue is pretty good actually. Maybe a little pricey in 1500, but there quite a beat stick and probably worth it in 1850. The Kasrkins can be brought as Inquisitorial Stormtroopers and are kind of neat, but probably not worth it over regular Tac Marines.

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
I had a question:

Can you take Radical and Grey Knights as allies to a Space Marine army?

That may sound stupid but I was just curious.

Ben

·
Ender of Threads
1,306 Posts
IAmAngel said:
I had a question:

Ben
By "Radical", I assume you mean taking a Daemonhost? if so, GK's are most definitely not allowed.

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
CaptShrike said:
I one day bought 5 grey knights and then, just for painting got some Kaskrin to paint. I wondered if there was any way; at all (im desperate) to incorporate these into my SM army

As has been said you can take the GK and Inquisitorial Stormtroopers as Troop choices (but not compulsory choices)...then move away from SM to a fully fledged Daemonhunter force..i just bought the codex because im converting an old terminator into an Inquisitor and the armies are darn cool

·
Registered
6 Posts
for the points cost of the grey knights they are bloody good. my mate in our club has a daemonhunters army and grey knights are very good against infrantry based armies.

for the points cost and all the cool special rules that the grey knights have, i personally think that they are dirt cheap. i mean a s6 close combat weapon and a stormbolter as well as all the grey knight special rules (see pg8 in daemonhunters codex). there justicars or sgts hav a power weapon and an extra attack and can get stuff from the daemonhunters armoury. for the price of a full tac squad, id rather hav the grey knights

·
The Voice of Reason
756 Posts
IAmAngel said:
I had a question:

Ben

As said above, no radical inquisitor (i.e. one who uses demonhosts) may include GK with him at any time. Furthermore, radical inquisitors cannot take SM as allies, or vice versa. The thought being that GK and SM are totally intolerant to working with demons, and would kill the inquisitor rather than practice heresy.

·
The Voice of Reason
756 Posts
mEGALOMANIAC said:
Completely untrue, sorry. A Radical Inquisitor may use inducted vanilla SM as normal, and a SM force may have a Radical Inquisitor amongst the allied DH contingent.

While technically the RULES portion of the codex does not expressly forbid SM with radical inquisitors, if you read p. 24 of the codex in the left-hand margin by the daemonhost entry:

" The vast majority of Space Marines, however, would never fight alongside one of these abominations even at the behest of the Inquisition; it is rare indeed to find a loyal Space Marine Chapter willing to fight in league with a daemon"

So again, I suppose you could do it for a game, but it would be pretty unfluffy (sorta like female space marines, and we all know how I feel about those ) :shifty:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
female

ahhah u r roung in white dwarf 204 0r 206 there is deathwatch journal ove 2 pages spred and it shows a female space marine named seritos or judy (im not sure)

·
The Voice of Reason
756 Posts
CaptShrike said:
ahhah u r roung in white dwarf 204 0r 206 there is deathwatch journal ove 2 pages spred and it shows a female space marine named seritos or judy (im not sure)

I could argue all day about the female space marines thing, but it is off-topic here, anyway. Furthermore, it has been debated to death. Just use the search function and I'm sure you'll find some of the threads discussing it.

@megalomaniac: True, fluff doesn't dictate rules. Any SM player could tell you that. My point is that in the spirit of the fluff, it wouldn't be the greatest thing to take a SM and a radical, but I admitted that it COULD be done (I mean, it's not like our little men are going to jump out of their cases and attack each other, are they? ) :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts