Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Glade Guard are a staple of most WE armies. I myself always take at least a unit or two into battle with me. I am wondering how the you generals make use of your GG.

Do you keep them safely planted on a hill and send volley after volley of arrows at your opponents ?

Do you march your GG forward. Looking to get to this str 4 shots as quickly as possible?

Maybe a combination of both?

I understand this tactic can surely change depending on the enemy played.

Personally i keep my glade guard tucked away in the back lines, but recently i have been think about advancing them down the field. Possibly with War Dancers or Dryads skittering behind them or on their flanks.

So L.O. what are you tactics with this common but effective unit?

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
It depends on the game. I rarely deploy a full 12" out. I tend to put them back. Since we move and shoot without penalty, I can always get to 12" on turn 1. I'll deploy them behind a hill or deep in woods so that they can't be shot/magicked before they get a turn to shoot. Then I'll move them up and start firing.

Usually, I don't find myself looking for short range until later in the game. If my opponent's aggressive, pushing things forward on me, I don't have to bother--he's coming to me.

Once it becomes obvious that a unit's going to die, I try to get my str 4 shots in but stay far enough away to take a stand and shoot reaction to a charge. I'll use them as a diversionary unit if it's at that point in the game. I'll flee with them to throw enemies off and then counter charge with dryads and wardancers like you mention.

If an enemy has hatred or frenzy, GG can be good to sacrifice as you force an overrun after they're cut down.

I use a lot of shooting. Usually 30 glade guard. I'm going to a 2500 pt Indy GT, and I'm going to run 30 GG and two units 10 Waywatchers for the first time. That and my glade riders, warhawks, Bow of Loren/Arcane Bodkins, and HoDA ought to make things difficult for the enemy.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
375 Posts
i move them forward as early as possible, 5" at a time, get to 15" range asap, then start back pedling 2.5" each time to keep your distance longer. Works rly well vs regiments with 4" movement.

·
4,361 Posts
Really very dependent on who I am playing. Also, how well my deployment went. Sometimes I might screw up a bit and have to move them to get them into a better position. But I like to hang back if I get my way.

SirKently

·
859 Posts
I rarely move them that much depending. A hill in two ranks peppering enemies are quite nice, I have two units so sometimes one will venture out to get in shorter range. Can just be funnier to sit on the edge of a table and wait for an army with little or no shooting HAVE to crawl closer and closer every turn.

I had an all melee skaven army player tell me once that I couldn't use S4 in short range - because I hadn't declared it when the battle started.:silly: Still, took out his rats using S3 after a series of 6s on damage rolls.

·
Registered
375 Posts
you dont have to declare that, as it isnt an option or item that you bought..glade guard have those bows without exception. I hope you hammered the guy!

·
859 Posts
lol, yeah, it was a last ditch effort to save a unit, but I rolled all 6s that turn and won the game.

He didn't bother arguing with my rules again - I wasn't the one that hid the armybook from the opponent afterall! :cute:

·
Registered
415 Posts
I tend to field 2 to 3 units... Of which one or two will always stay behind. The other unit, that's the one I use to manoeuvre a bit if necessary... Against high toughness or high armour enemy's I tend to try to get within the 15". And trust me 10 S4 attacks do a lot of hurting! that combined with the part that if he comes after me, I will retreat and shoot again, and again and again... and then he is in short range of the rest of my GG :D which means that the hurting is amplified!

Its one of the tactics I use. Make the enemy focus on one unit, forgetting the other shooters, and then he moves in too close to the other shooters... It works best against smaller blocks of tough units!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I do something very similar. Only, last time I ran two units of glade guard and as many waywatchers as I could cram into the list. :p

·
LO's unofficial Jester
2,900 Posts
I generally deploy my glade guard in a long line in the centre of my army perhaps supported by Wild Riders or a Treeman. They kind of act as bait. Generally the enemy army is comforted by facing normal rank and file troops and will eagerly march towards my 'battle line'.

Meanwhile on the flanks my dryads and wardancers along with anything else I have is moving into position to outflank and generally disrupt my opponents advance.

I generally don't worry about the St4 hits, they are more of a nice bonus than a key part of my battle plan.

·
LO Zealot
1,503 Posts
I have only recently tried the 'shoot until charged, then flee through Dryads/Wardancers/other ITP ally, and counter charge' tactic. It didn't work as well as I liked because my enemy was mostly cavalry.
I typically use my Glade Guard to filter out the enemy fast cavalry, or be 'punishers' of sorts in concert with the rest of my army. ie, Glade Riders angle in front of nasty enemy unit, so when they charge, the Glade Riders flee, and the Treegirl hits in the flank. Glade Guard shoot the enemy unit to make them want to get into combat. Enemy turn, the enemy unit decides not to take the bait and to shimmy over a bit, trying to get away from the Glade Riders. My turn, the Glade Guard 'punish' the enemy for not doing as I say, as the Glade Riders move back into position to make a favorable counter charge for the Treegirl.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts