Librarium Online Forums banner

Glazing Issues

570 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Canew 
#1 ·
After a quick trip to the search function with no luck I would like to ask the powers that be;

I'm having terrible luck with glazing as it tends to run too much and is a bit uncontrolable as it runs into cracks and pools too much.

Currently I'm using water and citadel paints.
I mix a paint with water maybe 1 to 3 or so and then I apply that.
I generally haven't dried of my brush between mixing and painting.
I think I've tried drying my brush in between mixing and painting but it doesn't appear to make much of a difference.

So what am I doing wrong?
So what do you guys use for a medium?
And are there any good tutorials on it that I can peruse?

#2 ·
I'm not sure what you are asking about exactly, but what you are applying is a wash, not a glaze, and it is supposed to run and pool in the recesses, that is the point. 1:3 paint:water is actually close to the ratio I paint regularly with...

If you want to glaze, you need the paint so thin you can barely tell there is color there, and then a drop of vallejo glaze medium.

#3 ·
fair enough, that would be the reason that it isn't working. However, how do I attain
you need the paint so thin you can barely tell there is color there
and I'm not sure if I can get Vallejo in Sydney. Any one know a supplier is Sydney, Australia?

#4 ·
it is not a matter of product, you can do that with any paint and water.
some basic steps, to adjust to your liking:
dilution is a mater of taste, I used to dilute a lot and a master showed me how to glaze almost without diluting. keep to your 1:3 ratio if you are confortable with it.
then the kind of brush is important, it needs a reservoir big enough, and a fine tip.

clean your brush, unload the excess water by passing it on a paper towel.
take a little paint with the tip (no more than a third of your brush).
again, unload excess paint to the paper, until you hardly see any color left on the paper.
apply on the mini. You know it is good as you will see the wet film put by the brush dry almost instantly. you can apply a couple of times.
rince and repeat

this way you put a very small amount of paint, so it is a slow and lenghly process. Patience is of the essence here.

envoy

#5 ·
Great, ok well I'll have to get me some paper towel then.
As for "a brush with a reservoir big enough"; would the old citadel large drybrush suffice? it is a bit of a bulldog brush, short tipped with a large diameter ferule.

#6 ·
paper towel is an afforable must ;)
about the brush, get you a real brush, something like a raphael 8404 n°2 with martre. They are not cheap, but they will make a difference. just clean them with handsoap and warm (not hot) water after each use.
have fun!

#7 ·
Im not sure what effect you are after? In general when I use a glaze I use about 1/10 paint and medium (glaze medium and water). As sad its important to wipe of most of he paint or you will not me able to control it. I usual use glaze to ad a new subtle colour to the pained area. Ore change the tone slightly.

#8 ·
It's pooling because you are using WAY too much on the brush. Before hitting the model, blot it on paper towel. By that I mean, just touch it to the towel, and "wick" off some of the liquid. If you find it's still pooling, wick off some more. You want to just make the surface you are glazing wet, hence "glaze." Geddit?

As to thinness, yes, you must make it super-super thin, thinner even than washes. When you put on that first layer, you won't even see any color, but it's there. Trust me. Let it dry (if you do a light coat, like I said, it won't take long), then put on another, and another, slowly building up the layers. It won't take as long as you think. After a while, you'll see the color build up.

Vallejo glaze medium will help a lot, but if you can't get that, buy it online or check out some art or craft stores. Many places sell other brands of glaze medium. They should all work. Worst case, it's not CRUCIAL to have the medium, but it helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.