Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everywhere I look I see people rushing to include Night Goblins in their armies. They're cheap, no extra cost to run 'em with short bows... and fanatics! Wonderful, wonderful fanatics! But everyone seems to always overlook the singular most common type of goblin in the Warhammer world.

The plain old goblin! These guys should be swarming every battlefield in the Old World in the thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands!

The only goblins (that aren't Night Goblins!) that I see are the wolf rider or spider rider variants. Does anyone out there run big blocks of goblins at all? Or is fanatic addiction too great?

-Nik

·
Skeletor=Pimp.
996 Posts
The only problem is that regular goblins don't offer that much more compared to Night Gobbo's. They have, what, more leadership? Nine times out of ten they are running like their darker kin lol.

I have yet to actually see normal Goblins on the tabletop, and I doubt I will for a while. Sometime in the future I plan to revisit my all gobbo army though, been tinkering with the idea of a Conan like army of tribal Goblins, furs and scars abound.;Y

-K

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
I can think of a few reasons that the regular goblins aren't very popular.

- You get Night Goblns in Skull Pass, the Batallion and the Army Box, but you don't get common goblins in any of them
- Night Goblins can have fanatics and nets
-(I think) the Night Goblin models generally look better than the common goblins.

It would be nice to see more common goblins around, but I don't have any myself and I don't really plan to since I would have to buy two boxes just to make one decent sized unit, which is okay normally I suppose, but these are goblins and the whole unit would be worth little (in way of points and effectiveness) on the tabletop.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am starting a new night goblin army. And for me it was the cost that made me decide them. You get a lot of little one piece guys for a lot cheaper. Ex. People on ebay buy the bfsp and then you can get the minis for cheap. I would like to do a goblin army but the cost would be ;?. The theme side of my army doesn't allow certain things, but my wife likes the models and they are cheaper. I didn't choose them for the fanatics (sometimes overrated). They are also easier to paint. Black spray paint and some green (faces and arms instead of whole body) with red eyes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have also just started a NG themed army. The cost was a big part in that, but I like the fluff. NG's appealed to me do to their background rather than their tabletop abilities. I like their cave and even more creepy back story. The fact that I picked up over 100 of them for about $40 including shipping through ebay from BFSP sets also helps.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just think goblins should have some advantage over NG (just like NGs have advantages over goblins) to give them appeal. Even if only because goblins are supposed to be the most common type of goblins around (yet all I see are NGs!).

-Nik

·
Registered
582 Posts
I use Common Goblins and Night Goblins in my army mainly for a bit of veriaty in the army be also because i like the fact that i can have Goblins that generally have a 1/3 of a chance of serviving combat for slightly less of the cost of the NGs. Also i'm not a big fan of the new Night goblin Pastics although the metals are nice.

I find they tend to stick around for that bit longer as they suffer a few less casualties and have slightly less modifiyers because of it.

Reactions: Nikblade2005

·
Registered
569 Posts
I can understand why so many people run Night Goblins over Normal Goblin with the Fanatics and the netters... For me the biggest appeal to them was that they live in caves and are sneaky hence I have 3000pts on just them... no Orcs on Goblins.

Although the more I have been looking at it Goblins are esentially getter then NG... NG have their fanatics and netters but they come at a price.

Goblins on the other hand come with light armour something that only NG charcters get... throw on a sheild and you have a 4+ save in CC better than a High Elf!!!! Not to mention the fact that you have the same S&T. Night Goblins rely on their fanactics and netters but at times they can backfire and Goblins are still a more solid choice overall...

Just my thoughts eventually when I get back in the mood of continuing work on my greenskin army its going to be another 3000pts of this time Goblins... who needs orcs anyway...lol

Reactions: Nikblade2005

·
Registered
3 Posts
Funny this should come up. I got a box of good old common goblins with the idea of doing a 'Brettonia' themed all goblin army. That is, running with the idea of goblins being cunning, robbing, bartering types so warboss sees Brettonian army kick a orc armys behind, so goes rob the battle field of all there armour, weapons, cloths etc to equip his tribe with.

So the army will just be blocks of goblins, wolfriders, chariots, rocklobber and i have had a cool idea for some doom divers!

Statler

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have an orc and goblin army, and all my goblins are NG more out of ease (cause they come with BSP and the OG battalion set) and I'm also rather partial to their fluff. sqiqqs, caves and mushroom brews are pretty cool :p

i have thought about picking up a standard goblin unit or two, more out of variaty than anything.

I did, however have an interesting idea the other day:
A forest goblin themed army. units made up of standard goblins (with lots of feathers warpaint and spider webbing) some spider calvary, a spider chariot (I guess id use the standard wolf chariot rules. makes sense that the spiders wouldn't be able to traverse rough terrain because theres a big wooden chariot strapped to their backs :p) some foresty/tribal themed spear chukkas (maybe some big masks on the front) and a giant (a... 'forest' giant perhaps? lol) led by a goblin warboss on a giant spider and his council of gobo shaman.

What do you guys think? fun idea? :?

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
I know a guy that runs an all common goblin horde. the only thing not common goblin is a spider rider and maybe some squigs and a giant.

The problem, as has been explained, is that NG get all these nifty, tricky things like fanatics and nets. They also have updated, better-looking and cheaper models.

Goblins used to be a point cheaper, but went up in the new book, which i think has turned a few people off.

·
1,142 Posts
I really respect people who buy armies for fun, in this instance, a goblin army but also some others like peasant armies. They look great on the table and they are so fun to watch.

Although theres alot of people who in just for the wins and they think these guys who collect these type of armies are idiots, its not on really.

I think if someone wants to do a characterful army, an army full of background, an army which is just there to look nice on the table then no one should stop them or say its a bad idea.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Night Goblins are da best! No doubt about it.

For the same base price per head, but with increased Ld, I think Goblins are a pitiful alternative to Night Goblins. As well as increased Ld, the thing that Goblins have over their cave dwelling cousins is that they have better armour. Equipping a unit with shields and a hand weapon will yield a 4+ save in combat as Goblins come with light armour. The best you can get with Night Goblins is 5+.

Despite these two so called advantages, in order to show Night Goblins to be the superior race, let us perform a couple of proofs by contradiction.

Statement - Goblins are da best! Goblins have better Ld.

Most Ld tests will use the generals Ld, if you use your force wisely. An awful Ld and an awful Ld + 1 are of similar awfulness!

=> Goblins are the same!

Statement - Goblins are da best! Goblins have better armour and are therefore more survivable.

Let's take an example of standard Goblin/Night Goblin tactics. That is to have large units to soak up the enemy whilst out manouevering him. Imagine we have 30 Goblins/Night Goblins in our unit, in 6 ranks of 5. A fairly standard size.

A unit of 30 Goblins with full command group and shields, ensures that you will not lose the fight easily and costs just 140 points.

On the other hand, a unit of 30 Night Goblins with full command and nets costs 145 points. If nets actually work (which more than likely they will) the -1 S to your opponent would be equivalent to having +1 Sv to your Night Goblins (for strengths of 4 or more).

i.e.

S 3 => Normal armour save
S 4 => -1 armour save
S 5 => -2 armour save

Therefore, against foes with greater than or equal to strength 4, Goblins will have the same armour save as Night Goblins.

But, and here is the big but, -1 S to your opponent is equivalent to having +1 T for you. Night Goblins are as tough as Orcs! Which ever way you think about it, it will mean that it will be harder to wound your Night Goblins. Therefore Nets rule, and for larger units the cost per head gets smaller (a unit of 40 Night Goblins with nets is cheaper than a unit of 40 Goblins, 175 vs 180)! Hatred of Dwarfs is a good 'un too.

=> Goblins are not da best!

Q.E.D.

p.s. Goblins will be better at soaking up missile fire than Night Goblins, but if your game is to sit there and wait for him to run out of arrows, think again!

p.p.s. Night Goblins have better initiative, which does matter in combat!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts