·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Image post list:
2009-03-12 -> Green stuff

2009-03-13 -> Modelling finished

2009-03-16 -> Some more modelling

So here's the deal: My partner has a birthday next weekend and I'm out of town skiing in the mountains. I've bought the birthday present in form of some nice gold earrings, but to make it even more personal, I'm thinking of mounting them on a space ork. As I'm going skiing, I'm converting it to a skier with GS-skis and some poles. Maybe even some ski goggles.

I have only until thursday night to convert/build the model and paint it. Of course without her knowing it which is difficult as I use the kitchen for this stuff :/

Anyways I'm taking pictures as I go along, but maybe I won't get them out before I'm finished.

Questions:
1) I'm making the ski poles out of copper. Is there a painting problem involved in this?

2) I have no fake snow so i think I'll use some cotton pads and just feed it with some glue to make it less cotton'y. Any other quick-to-learn-and-apply methods for snow I should seek out? I think I read about using some glue mixed with baking soda, but I can't seem to find it. Just sprinkle some over it? Could the same technique be used for the lower legs?

*back to gluing*

[edit]Forgot to tell: When I went to my "local" GW store and told about my plans, he promptly gave me four orks from the Black Reach set free of charge. That's what I call service.

·
The Shadow Knows!
1,590 Posts
Questions:
1) I'm making the ski poles out of copper. Is there a painting problem involved in this?
No problem for this. Just make sure you prime it and varnish it as otherwise it'll scratch off easily.

I can't wait to see your results.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Small update (No pictures yet, though)
- cut off weapons
- cut of right hand to turn it
- cut of right leg to get parallel footing
- glued ski poles to hands

I'll use GS to build up the missing parts to get a "realistic" right leg.

What I plan to do:
- GS skis
- GS goggles
- GS straps to both skis and poles

Still don't know how to fit in the earring though. Maybe I'll just place the ork on top of the little box they came in.

Any suggestions? I thought about making a backpack, but I don't see them fit in there either :/

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Image goodness.

This shows:
- Weapons cut off
- right hand cut and turned
- right leg cut and moved
- GS backpack

This shows:
- goggles
- top of ski poles
- more on the right leg

This shows:
- Same as above, but more from the side

This shows how I make the skis from a coke can.

I am severely short on time and ruined the goggles once because I worked on some other part of the miniature.

I have no super-glue so I have to use the old kind of "let dry for 24 hours to harden" where I fasten metals :/

This is my first serious time with green stuff and I am really stressed on time. Not a good combo. The backpack looks like a pig's stomach, but the goggles came out better than i feared :)

More images to come.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts

·
The Shadow Knows!
1,590 Posts
It's a pity you can't spend more time on it, but it's looking good.

As it's a presentation piece, are you going to mount it on a WHFB cavalry base? That way, you won't have the fragile skis overlapping much.

You could also have a heap of snow on the base that lifts off to reveal the earrings. Or maybe just hook them to the ends of the poles.

PS I also have a leatherman! Jinx.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As it's a presentation piece, are you going to mount it on a WHFB cavalry base? That way, you won't have the fragile skis overlapping much.

PS I also have a leatherman! Jinx.
As I see in my timeframe now, I won't be able to paint it, but I'll mount it on a base the size of the cavalry bases as I don't have any original bases. I will paint it next week. Maybe I'll post it in the painting-competition. This is definately something "left field" you just put in at the last minute. ;)

I'll build up a tiny slope the lenght of the skis with some wall-fixing stuff (don't know what it's called, but google translate translated it to "primer" (sparkel in Norwegian))

I try to show my tools in the pictures to show how I do things, and the leatherman is perfect for cutting the can. I just trace with a little preassure along the ruler and then it easily breaks off.

The skis are a little thin, but I don't think that my original GS-skis will come off the board I made them on without ruining them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finished enough!

As I have only 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there of privacy, I have had to sneek-build the last part. Here is the "finished" result of the modelling.

The base elements mounted on a piece of cardboard:

Testmounting:
A bit blurry. Sorry.

From all sides:

What modelling have to be done?
- the straps on the skis.
- some more "environment"
- the base edges

And of course the painting.

And sadly, I have no proper place to put the earrings, so i think I'll mount this on top of the other gift :)

Reactions: Beest

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
And sadly, I have no proper place to put the earrings, so I think I'll mount this on top of the other gift :)
Is it not possible just to hang them from the ski poles? Or are they studs or something similar that make this impossible? (In which case you may be able to craft a recess to the top of the skis to hold them?)

Otherwise, for something down with such a limited time frame, this guy is beginning to look very awesome very quickly! Great work!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it not possible just to hang them from the ski poles? Or are they studs or something similar that make this impossible? (In which case you may be able to craft a recess to the top of the skis to hold them?)

Otherwise, for something down with such a limited time frame, this guy is beginning to look very awesome very quickly! Great work!
Thank you!

My mistake. They are studs, and I got the store lady to gift wrap them for me. I did not have the time to unwrap them and test it out.

Anyway, my partner was very happy with her gift and even if the mounting hadn't dried up quite yet, she liked it.

I'll be back with more as I go along painting it... after the weekend. Today it's off to Hemsedal ski resort for some serious snow fun!

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
haha, i remember doing something like this for my girlfriend once. She was kinda upset that I missed a date because I was in a tournament, so I ordered a few of the Mordheim Familiars (the baby wizard, the pumpkin head, and the mannequin) and painted them up for her. She's got a collection of odd-ball Anime, Starwars, and Lego stuff on her dresser, so the little guys fit in perfectly with lots of friends. She loved them, especially the wizard.
When she asked me to paint her something else, I bought her the 6" 'Monique De Noir' from Reaper and worked on it for a few days.
Too bad we split and she's keeping all my stuff!!

I really like your Ork, and I'm happy that she appreciates it too. If they're studs, you could've pinned them into his hands, and hid the backings somewhere else on the mini or off to the side. Or put the studs in his backpack. I know it's a little late, but just saying.
Hope you got your fair share of reward :kissing: lol

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I really like your Ork, and I'm happy that she appreciates it too. If they're studs, you could've pinned them into his hands, and hid the backings somewhere else on the mini or off to the side. Or put the studs in his backpack. I know it's a little late, but just saying.
Link->A picture of the studs

I gave the ones on the right. They are pretty big, so there was really no way of "blending" them into the miniature, but i could have done as you said or made shoulder-pads of them or something.

(Just a little note about URL's. Is it only me, or is there no way of telling that a link is actually a link without hovering the mouse over it? That's why I wrote "link->". Is it black if visited or not visited or something?)

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Good job!

Good job. I think the goggles are pure awesomeness!

How long did it take you from start to finish? And where did you get the idea of cannibalising a coke can for the skis?

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
That is really well done. I like the mini alot, and cannot wait to see him painted. =) As to the links question, I often put my link in blue and make it bold, to make sure it stands out.

Kuffy

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good job. I think the goggles are pure awesomeness!

How long did it take you from start to finish? And where did you get the idea of cannibalising a coke can for the skis?
Thank you! :)

I started tuesday night and finished thursday night. I have no count on the hours, but not too many.

As for the coke, I use coke can for many hobby-related mods. (fixing exhaust on my car, trying to fix a primus etc. etc.) I always have some lying around and they are easy to work with.

The skis are a little too thin, so maybe I'll add more "snow" under the whole skis to prevent accidently flaking when bent.

And now off to the mountain. Have a nice weekend, all!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is really well done. I like the mini alot, and cannot wait to see him painted. =) As to the links question, I often put my link in blue and make it bold, to make sure it stands out.
Thank you!

Here's a new update.

My weekend in Hemsedal was terrific. Blue sky, very little wind and few people in the slopes. My whole body aches.

Anyways. I added the finishing touches.
- I cut away the belt in front of the front plate. I'll make that into a start-number (as if he's in a race)
- I added some filling to the base
- I added some warm fur for his left shoulder
- I added the bindings, using old early 19th century leather binding as a starting point

I hope to be able to prime tomorrow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts