Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So me and a couple of mates are planning on attending a 1500 point tournament around May. (You may spot my list in the Tau section of the site....critique is welcomed!). As tournaments tend to be serious affairs I was thinking to lighten the mood a little by making some cool/unique/interesting objective markers for the games (I have no idea if the tournament organisers are supplying any or not).

My first question is do you guys (and gals) have any suggestions for cool looking objective markers? (Ideally I'd like to use actual models on them)

I have two rough ideas knocking around in my head which are:

Space marines painted to be statues - simple, effective, easy to do
Orks looting - Basically make large numbers, paint to look like rusted metal and have orks dragging/carrying them off.

Other armies I'm struggling to think of anything!

The good/bad idea part comes here. Would it be ok to give these away to an opponent after a game? I'm just thinking a "thanks for the game, these are on me" sort of thing. If they don't want them fair enough. But I figure win or lose it would be a nice thing to do.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Could make a Tyranid organism 'hatching' from something. Years ago in WD there was an Epic Tyranid army that used walnut shells cracked in two, covered in pva glue to look like afterbirth or whatever. Pretty creep and really effective.

An IG soldier in some sort of communications tower? A Tau Water Caste member that's been ejected from his vehicle?

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
It's not too tough to turn random bits and drones into some sort of Tau 'communications array.'
Astra Militarum can use a medic, over a wounded soldier. Or use the various crates and ammo boxes from the tank sprues to make a sort of supply drop.
Nids, I would definitely do some kind of nasty egg-looking things, either clusters of small ones, or a single very large one.
AdMech can use random techy bits (would also work for any Imperial army)
Chaos Marines can use either desecrated Marine statues, or could just have some rocky outcroppings turned into altars to the gods
Dark Eldar get little trophy piles - severed heads on spikes and stuff
Eldar could get clusters of crystals

I'd say, only worry about the armies that are going to be present, if possible, or else make things as generic as you can. It's a cool idea, and a nice gesture for the guys running the tournament (aside from the fact that you probably paid your way in). At the most, I'd only make enough tokens for the number of tables that will be used for the tourney.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
The good/bad idea part comes here. Would it be ok to give these away to an opponent after a game? I'm just thinking a "thanks for the game, these are on me" sort of thing. If they don't want them fair enough. But I figure win or lose it would be a nice thing to do.
We've used Ferrero Roche for objectives before. End of the game who ever claims them gets to eat them. You could do chocolates or sweets or something. Maybe do a box of roses so people really fight over the flavours they want sort of thing. Just make a sort of 'Holder' for them on a base to be a bit more professional/legit about it.

If not that why not bring a bit of real world comedy into it? Why not make a model of Bin Laden, Assange, Col Gadaffi or some other such model to capture.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
[MENTION=31604]alvenom[/MENTION] I really like the walnut shell idea, that would certainly be interesting!

[MENTION=9309]CaptainSarathai[/MENTION] the medic and desecrated statues are something I hadn't thought of!
I want to try and stay away from generic and make them as characterful as possible. I have no idea what armies I'll be facing (it's a 200 strong tourny) so I was just going to make 6-7 lots (need to look up how many games there will be) to hand out! I figure if it doesn't match their army, so what. they are free and useful lol

[MENTION=30990]Lord Borak[/MENTION] I considered chocolate. But we all know the sort of heat that develops in these places. Plus then you have all these allergies that people have...I don;t want to be accused of cheating because I killed my opponent with a hidden almond...

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
We've used Ferrero Roche for objectives before. End of the game who ever claims them gets to eat them. You could do chocolates or sweets or something. Maybe do a box of roses so people really fight over the flavours they want sort of thing. Just make a sort of 'Holder' for them on a base to be a bit more professional/legit about it.
Haha, we did that once - there's a game called "Hungry Hungry Hormogaunts" that used to be played at events at the FLGS for their anniversary parties and some holiday type events. Basically just a bunch of Hormogaunts running amok on some space-hulk type terrain, fighting over fleeing guardsmen. The second year onward, they got the bright idea of replacing the Guardsmen with Gummi Bears, and the Hormogaunts with whatever model people chose to use (with a little "best model" reward on the side). Seeing Greasus Goldtooth and Grom the Paunch duking it out with an Ogryn and "Commissar Not-So-Gaunt" over gummi bears was probably the highlight of that particular event. Obviously, you got to eat whatever gummi bears you caught.

[MENTION=31604]I want to try and stay away from generic and make them as characterful as possible. I have no idea what armies I'll be facing (it's a 200 strong tourny) so I was just going to make 6-7 lots (need to look up how many games there will be) to hand out! I figure if it doesn't match their army, so what. they are free and useful lol
Ouch - that's 100 tables. Are you sure the event is that large? With something like 3 objective markers per table for certain missions, you're making 300 of something. That could be quite a handful. If it's that large, I'd just make 3 objective markers specific to your own army and sub them in when it calls for it. Use that to get opponents' nods toward "best modeled" or "best painted," whatever - make it memorable for your opponents, but I'd be ***ned if I'm gonna churn out 300 objective markers for no reward.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dammit captain. I now have the gummy bears themetune stuck in my head...now I have to not hum it at work and look like a crazy person...

Oh god no. I'm not making objective markers for all the tables! Just for my games! I think there's going to be 6 games, so 36 objective markers! I would rather not drive myself crazy trying to make that many! I still have more deadpool tau to paint first...

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Dammit captain. I now have the gummy bears themetune stuck in my head...now I have to not hum it at work and look like a crazy person...
Bist du mein gummibär?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XEaIF9fUTec

YOU'RE WELCOME!!
(but good, good to know you're not crazy enough to crank out 300 markers)
((You have Deadpool Tau? And no pictures??))

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You've probably already seen the fire warriors...they were on the fansite for gw page :p but one moment I shall endeavour to upload the admittedly poor picture from my phone! (it was just a quick snap top show my mate I was actually painting!)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gracias!

I'm currently painting up the supremacy suit in the same scheme, that's going to take a while.

These are going to be going to a tournament, so the plan is to paint them all like this, make a banner which has 2 deadpools riding unicorns and the words "Maximum effort" between then. I'm also going to print off some tiny tiny images of the attached and scatter them on bases and wall sections...

Art Rectangle Font Creative arts Visual arts

1 - 15 of 15 Posts