Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres my question, what is an ideal equipment loadout for a few Independant Commissars in an army composed almost wholly of infiltrators (with the exception of two Armored Fist Squads and two Leman Russ Tanks)? And to help anyone else out there, whats a good kit for a Commissar in general?

Thanks!

·
Registered
479 Posts
For a regular commissar, power fists are good as they're not independant characters and therefore can't be singled out in combat before they get to strike.

However for an independant commissar, you're probably better off with a power weapon. it's so cheap in points its kind of silly not to give him one. Other than that, there's not much point in giving him much else, perhaps a storm bolter if you've got the points.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shawingin! :drinking: I wasn't too sure if there was something special to give them given that they're all infiltrating.

·
Set Sail and Conquer!
1,633 Posts
Shawingin! :drinking: I wasn't too sure if there was something special to give them given that they're all infiltrating.
Hmm. You might want to NOT run them as independant commissars. As attached advisors, they should be fine, but according to the Universal Special rules part of the main rule book, an independant character loses the infiltrate special rule when he joins a unit without it, and vice versa.

I'm pretty darn sure the only way you can include infiltrating commissars is if they are not independant characters. Sorry bud.

But, as this is the case, I would recommend powerfists. None of them will be independant characters, so they can swing away with their oversized hams without a care in the world! (until every friendly around them gets turned to fresh compost, anyway).

·
Registered
263 Posts
I use mine with a powersword and bolt pistol. I also have the model with the powerfist (I enjoyed painting it so very much) but its just not worth the extra 15 points to have the extra 3 strength, I find.

·
596 Posts
I tend to give my commisars shotguns.
Shot guns are better for mass executions than summary executions. ;)

Like Cadavre Junkie said, Independent Commisars can not infiltrate.

Independent commisars I would give a power weapon and maybe a storm bolter as Age suggested.
In fact, I would kit a regular Commisar exactly the same.

·
2,399 Posts
In fact, I would kit a regular Commisar exactly the same.
S/Guns do look cool - my converted Shaeffers Chancers are mostly equipped that way.
However I'd give your morale HQ squads Storm bolters and Power swords,
Your CC squads bolt Pistol, Power swords (don't forget frags) and maybe carapace
Your shooty ones Storm Bolters, and nada (but why? why shooty?)

The way of looking at this really is if its independant/attached.
If independant what are you doing with him? If attached what's the squads use?

If you're getting independants to add LD as you see fit, with the additional use of detaching and chargeing I'd do bolt pistol and power sword (with frag grenades) - the squad he was with can fire as he moves off, he charges (charged squad wraps around him, and should kill him opponents turn - then moves D6", hopefully in their turn, to be shot at again by the squad in yours.

If it's a hidden LD bonus to your standard (or vox, depending on the argument - let's not start that again - not even "just one thing to say" i'd give him a bolter - Cheap as chips and for that one turn of defensive shooting (within 12") same as a S/Bltr at 5th of cost.

Compared to what his statline is i'd go CC capable - that extra attack is always good, even over a S/Bltr:
Pw Sw & Bl pis vs St Bltr =
S/Bltr gets 1x more S4 attack on the way in, opponent normally gets armour/cover save. Power sword gets 1x more S3 attack in melee, with no save. If 1st turn of combat survived, an additional attack in opponents turn.

·
596 Posts
Don't question the Commisar's taste in weaponary.
OK, OK, shot guns are good for summary executions AND mass executions.

PARENTAL ADVISORY: Contains violent imagery
If a shot gun totting Commisar doesnt motivate you enough, perhaps a face full of your sergents brains would.

·
2,399 Posts
OK, OK, shot guns are good for summary executions AND mass executions.

PARENTAL ADVISORY: Contains violet imagery
If a shot gun totting Commisar doesnt motivate you enough, perhaps a face full of your sergents brains would.
Expatriate him Kaiser! GO ON! DO IT!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow, lol

awesome, i like it all, thanks for the help, its a shame that you cant use independant Commissars and infiltrate, and i need the ld in the squads, but voxes should do the trick just fine... im thinking power weapons, then if i have the points, go ahead to fists... thanks for feedback! I hope this helped someone else out lol... :drinking:

·
Monkey Pirate
452 Posts
I tend to give my commisars shotguns. It's not effective and it's not good but I'll be damned if he doesn't score extra points for coolness.
Ha ha I do the same thing with my hqs and one of my commissars. The best part is when you actually kill something you get bragging rights for life. I have a habit of using my one in apocalypse games just for hunting special characters.....hasn't done anything yet... but one day.

·
I AM the Evil Twin!
4,989 Posts
Ha ha I do the same thing with my hqs and one of my commissars. The best part is when you actually kill something you get bragging rights for life. I have a habit of using my one in apocalypse games just for hunting special characters.....hasn't done anything yet... but one day.
Having read Kaisers post earlier yesterday I went out and bought the commisar with the bolt pistol. A little converting later and I can say a commisar with a shotgun DOES look pretty cool. I'm quite impressed with myself. :party2:

JvK :happy:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts