Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody have any tips on taking pics of figures ?, i wanted to post some of my pictures but just cant get my camera to focus, no matter what i do the picture is blury, does anybody have any advice or could tell me where im going wrong ?

·
Registered
301 Posts
sounds like you are getting too close for the camera -- have you looked to see if you are in macro mode? Most digital cameras have this mode (usually on the dail its shown by a flower).

·
Registered
231 Posts
good light is a must...I'd recommend taking flashlights and taping tissue over the lens, this diffuses the light and prevents the harsh light you sometimes see. If possible take your pictures on a plain background if possible, helps bring out the models details...

·
Father of the Failed
1,170 Posts
The above are good tips. Also, here is a link to a great guide by our very own scary eyeball, minus_t

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/painting/89907-minus_ts-guide-miniature-photography.html

That guide should set you in good stead. A few tips from me (all likely in the above guide) are not to put the camera too close to the model, always photograph onto a white background, have a good stable structure to rest the camera on (preferably a tripod) and have at least one good light source behind the camera.

Read the guides, have a practice ans see what you can come up with.

Good luck matey

(also, have a stab with the search function on LO - many an old post about this has come up, each with useful tidbits of info).

Rich.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You can also get camera wabble when using macro mode - a pain to get round. If you don't have a tripod (and ifyou want one tescos sell one for £10) then try setting the camera on the table top - so that it is still - also if your camera has a multi shot or timed shot feature try using these

·
Thread Killer!
2,642 Posts
This is what I use:

Tripod
Nikon Coolpix S50C
Macro Mode (very important)
3 shop lamps with 100W bulbs with tissue paper covering
White paper for a background

Light placement is one overhead and two to each side slightly front

This is typically what the pictures look like after being corrected in photoshop using the automatic level, automatic color, and automatic contrast:

Cheers,

-Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts