Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello brave defenders of the Imperium,

I'm an Ork player interested in making a Gorgon conversion, so I don't know a ton about IG. However, I have a couple of specific questions.

First of all, is it true that the Gorgon can only move 6 inches at a time? In IAApoc the Gorgon is listed as a superheavy tank, which according to Apocolypse means that only 6 inches can be moved a turn. A transport that moves the same speed as infantry isn't too appealing to me...

Weapon options- it appears that you can purchase heavy bolters and heavy flamers for the Gorgon, but there are no prices or options listed...

Cyclops remote control demolition vehicles- are they any good? They seem like a cool idea. It is frusterating that their rules aren't available in the same book. Also, do cyclops models exist.

Vehicle upgrades- are any of them good/worth it? I like the hunter-killer missile idea hur hur hur...

Finally, what do you think of this vehicle? Worth it, or no? Anyone use it? Thoughts/comments?

Thanks guys.

·
517 Posts
Super heavy vehicles are inherently slow, which sucks. It's speed is listed in IA 5 as "Lumbering". While this may seem like a hefty disadvantage, it also has rules that make it even MORE difficult to kill than other super heavy vehicles.

There is no better way to get 50 guys across the field unharmed than with the Gorgon. It's entirely worth the points. (The money is another matter entirely.) You could feasibly fill it with 25 Ogryns. Or perhaps 10 Ogryns to act as shock troops, while you disgorge 10 storm troopers to act as a fire support, with a 5 man HQ squad (with 4 special weapons) to ensure nobody runs away, top it all off with two 6 man special weapon squads, each with a demolition charge and the special weapon of your choice.

Imagine that smashing into someone's lines!

To move the same number of troops with the Chimera (a much weaker vehicle) you'd have to buy 5 of them at around 100 points a piece. The Gorgon is around 50 points cheaper, and much harder to kill.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
slowness does suck...

so why isn't the lumbering rule in IAApoc/what does it do? What are the flamer/bolter options? Why no rules available for cyclops? These imperial armor books are rather disapointing.

I'm still considering using this vehicle... any recommendations on upgrades?

·
Monkey Pirate
452 Posts
Keep in mind this is a siege tank. It fairs pretty poorly in open terrain where every missile from here to the golden throne can see it. But man if your playing on a board with trenches or fortifications your in the money. it can withstand a ton of fire, as far as outfitting it goes heavy bolters or stubbers if your table is some what open. Flammers if your going with trench battles. Its a sweet model an all, but its really only best used in games focused around a siege or trenches.

·
Born from Tears of Angels
1,768 Posts
First of all, the rule for gorgon say absolutely nothing about it being lumbering so we have to assume it moves like a normal tank.

Second, common the thing is amphibious, carries 50 men and has 3 structure points. How much more do you need? Plus is has the heavy armored prow which on a 4+ degreades a pen to a glance. For a lousy 4** points what more could you ask for?

The only thing that I find funny is the fact that it has Av 14 front and side while rear is only 10. Whats up with that?

·
517 Posts
First of all, the rule for gorgon say absolutely nothing about it being lumbering so we have to assume it moves like a normal tank.
Imperial Armor Five
Page 108

Speed: Lumbering

Heavy Armoured Prow: ...Glancing or Penetrating hit from the front, it may ignore the damage result on a dice roll of 4+...

The rules you're using must be in that new IA:A book. The one I'm using is different... and better... ;)

OP, the lumbering rule is in almost every IA book. You'll have to look it up, as I've already given you a lot of information. I don't want to be accused of copyright infringement.

·
Monkey Pirate
452 Posts

The only thing that I find funny is the fact that it has Av 14 front and side while rear is only 10. Whats up with that?
All super heavy tanks move 6 inches unless otherwise stated. Well have you looked at the things rear? Not a whole lot protecting anything there. Besides if there is something in the trench behind you your probably screwed anyway.

·
Monkey Pirate
452 Posts
Wait a tic, what is it with you and getting to the "rear" of things?
Well its where the tank- and most armies are the weakest by and large. We'll leave the rest of it out.

I mean seriously you can see why the thing has armor 14 on its sides slanted boarding ramp lots of armor. Then the back is nothing more a squarish drop off. Poor gunners...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Dear Seanchadith,

Just out of curiosity, do you plan to fill your looted Gorgon with a mob of Bomb Squigs and Lootaz? I have not read the rules concerning Orks for Apocalypse (apart from the Japanese language translation of the Ork Codex) but are bomb squig mobs legal?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
First off, do the IA Apoc rules replace the older IA5 rules?

I don't plan to fill it with Lootas because they can't shoot out of it. Squig mobs... I don't know exactly what those are... but I don't use any squigs. I plan on transporting 2 mobs of 20 ladz and 2 of the cyclops demolition vehicles if the rules are any good. Anyone have opinions on cyclops demolition vehicles? If they aren't good I might toss a deff dred with skorchas in. Hehehehe.

·
Monkey Pirate
452 Posts
Depends. You can use a Gorgon in any game size, with opponents permission. Of course since you want to use it as a looted Gorgon, well as long as your playing with friends you should be ok. As for the Cyclops it is basically a mobile demolition charge. If your unaware of what that is, think a Leman Russ shot with a better ap by one. Personally I think they are pretty cool, they strike me as kind of hard to use, because once the controller is kill your out of luck and the thing sits there for the rest of the game. Nice thing about it is its dirt cheap.
A looted Gorgon is probably better off with a dread or a bunch of bomb squiqs i think.

Reactions: Seanchadith

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
slowness does suck...

so why isn't the lumbering rule in IAApoc/what does it do? What are the flamer/bolter options? Why no rules available for cyclops? These imperial armor books are rather disapointing.
Some of these are cleared up in the FAQ on their site, in the Downloads section.

First off, do the IA Apoc rules replace the older IA5 rules?
No, IA Apoc is designed for Apocalypse whereas IA5 is designed for regular 40k.

Reactions: Seanchadith

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone! Ive decided to build one out of pizza boxes and foam (a much bigger and orkier variant than the FW model!). At this stage, i'm planning to haul 2 orky cyclops vehicles and 2 20-strong boy squads. Input was very helpful, hope to see you on the battlefield, hur hurhur..

However, I looked on the forgeworld site in search of a FAQ about the weapon options and couldn't locate anything... all I could find was a general FAQ. Any recommendation on exactly where to look on their site? Thanks

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
However, I looked on the forgeworld site in search of a FAQ about the weapon options and couldn't locate anything... all I could find was a general FAQ. Any recommendation on exactly where to look on their site? Thanks
Sorry, I meant to say Downloads
Check here on pg 4 for sponson options.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts