Librarium Online Forums banner

Grat weapons or hand weapon and shields?

• Hand weapon and shields

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Great weapons

Votes: 30 47.6%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
I have a cunning plan
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok are elite infantry have now got the option to take great weapons, so what I'm asking is,

Will yours have the extra killy great weapons or be hard as nails with hand weapon and shields?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I plan to have both, but just to start I'm using great weapons.

I'm going last anyways, I might as well be strong enough to scare away even dragons! Chop'em good lads!

·
453 Posts
I voted for Great Weapons. But you'd have to tag them with 2 Corpse Carts with Loadstones. As you can now raise them you don't need to worry so much about them being shot at, and for their points, you can get a lot!

A nifty combo to pull off is Banner Of The Barrows with Helm Of Commandment if you plan on having a magic heavy army and want to keep your general out of combat. It basically means the GG are hitting on 2's, and with the Corpse Carts + Wizards, a Vanhels should get through.

·
Forward Kommander
1,005 Posts
I'm not quite sure yet, but I'm currently leaning towards Shield and Hand Weapon (for my first squad at least). The added defense will give me more attacks when I finally do get to attack, and I have killing blow to make up for the loss of strength.

Thats how I see it at least...

·
I suck... Maiden neck...
836 Posts
As with most other setups it's a matter of battlefield role. I think there is a good potential for both. GG can really knock the boots of a lot of other units if they carry GW's, but then we have the problem with survivability. While GW's might do a lot of killing, it might not be the way to go if you are not vastly superior in the magic phase. On the other hand: If it comes down to just smashing things, more than winning a combat result so that you can autobreak the enemy, the GW's are just good fun if paired with corpse carts!

I am certainly going to own a unit of each (if not more)...

·
Registered
101 Posts
i voted great weapons because that S6 weapons are very nice, combined with killing blow. you are only going to get one attack anyway, so why not hit hard. and about getting as many attacks when you finally get to attack, i doesnt matter, you should be striking first with the ASF bound spell from corpse carts. ( give these lads the Royal standard of Strigos, gives hatred of all ennemies). by resurecting them, and making them ASF, armour doesnt matter as much. they are also T4, so they are kinda tough. if your really worried, give them the regen banner with BSB ( rediculously expensive though.

but anyway, my main point is the S6 KB attacks will be great at popping knights, especially with ASF from corpse carts, you should always have two nearby anyway, so you should get at least one through the dispel defense. Im just having so much fun imagining Konrad in a unit of GG with great weps

another lovely idea.....give a vamp nearby staff of damnation. the extra attack for the GG, especially with GWs would be awesome, and hurt alot if combined with the banner i suggersted ( hatred against all)

·
Nightlord
1,795 Posts
I have always liked the fluff and style of grave guard, and now that they can be raised I can feel like I am actually making a good choice when I take them now. I plan on having both types of units in the new rules and each has a special role.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I'll be getting both, they are imo very well balanced.

How ever if your going magic heavy then Great Weapons become attractive (using Corpse Cart / Vanhelsto hit first).
If your magics weaker then I think the resilience of HW&Sh will actually help more. The combat res lost before your Great Weapons hit will make breaking units harder. Also without magic they are likely to get charged, and the extra resilience will minimise your losses in the first round.

·
Tyranid Warrior Fanatic
2,668 Posts
Grave gaurd? What are those? :p

Anyways, I think I'll use my GG with shields and hand weapons. The enhanced defence is nice if you can't be guarenteed the first attack, plus it helps against shooting. You can't always depend on IoN since the GG won't be the only unit taking losses. Besides, even if there are no units injured then you can't IoN up some skeletons or zombies or something depending on your VT or VC setup. You should always have more than enough uses for your PD.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm definitely digging on the Banner of Barrows though (no pun intended). Combined with a caster lord with Helm of Commandment and you're almost guaranteed to hit on twos, wound on twos against just about everything! That's sick! Staff of Damnation them to get it again! You're looking at a very possible 8-10 wounds a round if you go first.

And then that caster lord that's not doing anything else but making them awesome? He's going to bring back anything that the enemy might kill (which will likely be a rare occurrence anyways!). God I love the Grave Guard!

·
Registered
6 Posts
im setting my unit up as.

vampire lord
Lord of the Dead,
Red Fury,
Infinite Hatred.
Blood Drinker,
The Flayed Hauberk,
Crown of the Damned

Wight King
BSB,
Banner of Drakenhoff

28 Grave Guard
Full command
Hand weapons and shields
Banner of the Barrows

This will give me a killing beast, that can bring back any lost GG and heal himself, he also has a 2+ Save, 4+ ward and regeneration.

and the unit also have 4+ save, 3+ in combat and regeneration. Should be pretty fun.

its over a 1000 pts mind you. heh.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Grave Guarding going first with great weapons, rerolling misses, and wounding at str 6 with killing blow? What's not too like?

I think a large unit of Grave Guard supported by a Wight Lord and flanked by expendable units of skeletons and/or zombies is a potent force.

What do you people think of the staff of damnation?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
I'd go with great weapons as long as I have a corpse cart around.
The cart, the book of arkhan, and one or two casters means Grave Guard rock.

I haven't seen much discussion of the spell changes, at least not on LO, but Danse Macarbre is 10 tens better than it used to be, and it was already great.

It's a combination of the hellish vigor spell and danse macabre. And it's in line with call of the hunt. Extra movement if not in combat or extra attacks if in combat.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Tyranid Warrior Fanatic
2,668 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that their spells are looking a lot like the TK spells, but can be cast multiple times per spell and aren't free?

·
459 Posts
Has anyone else noticed that their spells are looking a lot like the TK spells, but can be cast multiple times per spell and aren't free?
Isn't that how old VC used to be?

EDIT: I mean really old, as in back when necromancers could pick what spells they wanted ...... which they now can again, but you get what I'm talking about.

·
Tyranid Warrior Fanatic
2,668 Posts
Isn't that how old VC used to be?

EDIT: I mean really old, as in back when necromancers could pick what spells they wanted ...... which they now can again, but you get what I'm talking about.
Ah, yeah... I have the old 5th ed book. Awesome book, BTW. I highly recommend it. Never tried playing fifth, though. Or 6th, though I have the book.

But yeah, I did notice that in a couple of ways they are going back to the older style. Its the same thing with daemons, if anyone has taken a look at them. Most of the new daemon models look like the ones that were out probably 20 years ago or so, around the time of Rogue Trader and Cl was a stat units had in WHFB.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
I think I'm going to split my unit. I intend having a unit of 20, so I might make 10 with Hand weapons and Shields, and 10 with Great weapons. Then, whatever I want the unit to have, those guys go in front.

Then again I might not... But those great weapons look awesome.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts