1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering whether anyone had used a HQ with the following:
JO - Storm Bolter
4x Guardsmen with Grenade Launchers

Too delicate for the costs? Too weak? I thought it'd be pretty nice to lay down 4 frags/kraks and 2 bolter shots at a 30" range; it's totally plausible this would make it's points back. Plus, I think the idea of an old tank officer with the storm bolter off his destroyed tank is quite fluffy.

Also, I was thinking about using GLs instead of Plasmas in line units, simply for the reason of costs per model. Would this still be competitive against MEQs? GEQs?

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
my limit for a command squad is 2, just so you still have a small buffer of cheap guardsmen for casualties.

for line squads, i prefer them over plasma guns in regular infantry squads. they pack a pretty good punch still and won't burn your guys so there's that chance of longer lifespan and more shots, then there's always the frag shot should you need to disperse the lil' baddies. for me, they just seem fluffier on your average joe's, i leave my plasma to the grenadiers and vets.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Go for it! Granted it's a fragile squad, but it should be fun to play and you will probably be keeping your command squad protected until it's needed anyway. Good fluff, too!

I find blast templates seriously underrated. Players say your opponent can just spread out to minimize the damage, but then it takes them forever to get through terrain. Even if they do you can always switch over to kraks. The GL is also useful when falling back and regrouping, which in my opinion puts it ahead of plasma guns for Guard. You lose out on AP2, of course, so a specialized anti-MEQ unit would be prudent.

·
Registered
81 Posts
its competative against GEQ's to use grenade launchers as your primary special weapon but when it comes to killing meq's there really isnt a substitute to using the plasma gun...often there is an advantage to causing multiple wounds as opposed to one powerful one for whatever reason and the frag grenades are useful in this situation... i get around it like this...i group my squads with either a grenade launcher and a missile launcher, or lascannon and plasma, that way you have a versitile squad that can either drop 2 blast templates per turn, or threaten tanks, transports and high toughness or power armoured foes while your tank hunting ap2 guys are also together..i think its idea for the las/plas combo to come as a veteran squad...

·
Watcher In The Sky
1,083 Posts
I dont normally drop multiple special weapons in command squads, but I almost always use Grenade Launchers in my line squads, partly for cost reasons and partly because I dont like overdoing plasma (for a variety of reasons, mostly to do with fluff and overheating).

·
2,399 Posts
I was wondering whether anyone had used a HQ with the following:
JO - Storm Bolter
4x Guardsmen with Grenade Launchers

Too delicate for the costs? Too weak? I thought it'd be pretty nice to lay down 4 frags/kraks and 2 bolter shots at a 30" range; it's totally plausible this would make it's points back. Plus, I think the idea of an old tank officer with the storm bolter off his destroyed tank is quite fluffy.

Also, I was thinking about using GLs instead of Plasmas in line units, simply for the reason of costs per model.

You have a nice buffer before you hit the expensive stuff there - I'd put the expensive stuff in the line squads, really. What are you doing with the squads ?
for Anti-armour you can't beat a melta, the only thing you'll lack is range - A plasma is still better vs armour.
For anti-infantry I'd get a Plasma first and flamer if i really wanted templates.

The two distinguishing features of a GL are the range - good and that it's assault. Unfortunately, due to it's poor AP it just isn't worth taking in my book. for the same price I'd reccomend a Plasma and a Flamer - and use the squad in more dedicated roles. If it's AP was just 1xbetter, I'd use it much, much more.

I Approve the fluff.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I love it.

I agree with the overheating issue and Certemplar had it nailed with the whole giving the plasma to the vets and grenadiers thing.

I'm a huge GL fan, and the outlay you have will put on some hurt. Nobody says you have to put templates down either - use Kraks to split open a MEQ or 2. ;Y

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the feedback! Glad everyone likes the fluff idea, I'm gonna start on it tonight.

Wolfsheim - Thanks for the positive feedback ;Y

Beardy Wierdy - I agree with the whole overheat thing in the lines, my dice rolling is on the poorer end of mediocre. My proxied PGs overheat far more than 16.6% of the time, and losing a 16pt model ( or more, if I used Camelioline or Carapace! ) is a pain.

Stayscrunchy - Squads would be designed to take out MEQs and light vehicles in order to set up a firebase for some Storm Troopers and my tanks if I tricked them out with Autocannons and GLs. I'd get a pretty good volume of decent-ranged AP4 shots. No way to get after those 2+ saves though! Dedicated tank hunting / MC killers would be a must. Probably would get more cost effectiveness getting a few blisters of Cadian Specials and putting 3x Plasma and 3x Melta in separate min/max Hardened Vet Squads to DS with.
Only problem with using 2x Guardsmen for ablative wounds in the HQ is that's 2x less potential templates for frags, and therefore a lot less dice rolling with decreased chances for failure somewhere if they shot up something like a mob. Or, if the unit DS'ed, it'd be 1/3 less chances for a hit on a A10 rear-armor.I agree, AP3 on a krak grenade would be outstandingly more useful!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I love the idea of Grenade Launchers' versatility and wish I could use them more often. Alas, my usual opponents are Space Marines and mech Tau, so their usefulness is somewhat limited for me. However, I still built a ton for, say, the other half of the armies out there: Eldar, Dark Eldar, other Guard, Orks and Tyranids, against which both varieties of shot are very useful.

And I agree completely with Intrepid. The direct stopping power of Blast weapons goes down when your opponent "learns" to spread out his models...but then they can't fit behind cover, take several turns to cross terrain, can't get as many models in close combat range, and have to pick casualties from the front of their squads (Take that, Orks and Tyranids!). Make sure you take advantage of this and those GLs will get their points back in many more ways than just killing things.

·
709 Posts
I love the idea of Grenade Launchers' versatility and wish I could use them more often. Alas, my usual opponents are Space Marines and mech Tau, so their usefulness is somewhat limited for me. However, I still built a ton for, say, the other half of the armies out there: Eldar, Dark Eldar, other Guard, Orks and Tyranids, against which both varieties of shot are very useful.

And I agree completely with Intrepid. The direct stopping power of Blast weapons goes down when your opponent "learns" to spread out his models...but then they can't fit behind cover, take several turns to cross terrain, can't get as many models in close combat range, and have to pick casualties from the front of their squads (Take that, Orks and Tyranids!). Make sure you take advantage of this and those GLs will get their points back in many more ways than just killing things.
Seconded. This is where GLs accel.

Against MEQs and Chaos, you really need plasma.

I will say though, one advantage of lets say 4 GLs and a stormbolter is mobility. That squad can move and fire 24". That's got some potoential when it comes to claimed objectives.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.