Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have recently started a Grey Knights army. I have my neccasary HQ and two troop choices. But I am looking to at least fill out a 1000 point army. And then later a 1500 point game. If anyone could review my list and give me any tips. I am trying to make a generally well rounded army though I am mostly going to be playing against Tau, Nids, and Imperial Guard.

My tactic ideas have been mostly deep striking, and in most situations assulting the enemy. Unless the obvious happens like I have to back away to avoid MEQ or TEQ popping weaponry and fire with ranged.

Heres my 1000 point and 1500 point list ideas. But I'm stuck with what to do about the 200 points I have left undecided. I am stuck deciding between 5 man termy squad, 9 man all purpose strike squad with psycannon, or perhaps a dreadnaught. I don't think a Terminator Squad would be worth the points for my tactics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1000 Points

HQ

Brother Captain
Hammer

Troops

9 GK
Hammer
Psycannon

Fast Attack

9 GK
Hammer
Incinerator
Falchions

Heavy Support

DreadKnight
Heavy Incinerator
Great Sword

Undecided points

And my 1500 point.

HQ

Brother Captain
Hammer

Troops

9 GK
Hammer
Psycannon

Elites

Purifier Squad
Hammer
Incinerator

Fast Attack

9 GK
Hammer
Incinerator
Falchions

Stormraven Gunship
Twin Linked lazcannons
Twin Linked Multi Melta
Hurricane Bolters Side Sponsons

Heavy Support

DreadKnight
Heavy Incinerator
Great Sword

216 points undecided

·
Registered
792 Posts
For you 1k list. Do not take the Bother Captain. The Grand Master is worth every point. The Grand Strategy gives you tactical flexability on an unprecedented scale.

For your remaining points
Brother Captain to Grand Master with Rad Grendades and Psycannon and master crafted sword. NO HAMMER, he is I5 and should never strike last. 230pts

I don't see your two troops I see only one 9man strikes squad.

Make it 2 Strike Squads with a master crafted Hammer on the Justicar, swords, 2 psycannons, psybolt. 250pts x 2

Dreadknight Greatswrod, Heavy Incinerator, Personal Teleporter 260

That should work a bit better. Footslogging this list is possible as well. The psycannons are phenomenal weapons, use them to your greatest advantage.

For 1.5k

A single AV value is going to be a prime target. If your main plan is to DS, which is tough since you would need your GM on the board for Psychic communion to be reliable, I would opt not to run purifiers. How about Interceptors?

Interceptors 10 man, 2 x psycannon, MC hammer, psybolt 315pts
Interceptors 6, psycannon, psybolt

or drop the MC on the strikes and take
Interceptors 10 man, 2x psycannon, hammer, psybolt 305
Dreadknight, Personal teleporter 205pts
Or Drop the MC on the Grand Master too as well as teh other dreadknight's greatsowrd to run them both with only a personal teleporter and heavy incinerator.
Just my 2 cents.

Everything can DS on, or in Dawn of War, you can start your HQ and two troops on the board, and shunt the rest of your army on. You have lots of all around firepower, mobility, and the ability to make most of the dreadknights and interceptors scoring with the grand strategy.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
Frankly, for small games and pure GK orientation, I'd go with a Brotherhood Champion. He's actually surprisingly useful and killy, and when he dies he usually has a 2/3 chance of pulling off an awesome maneuver that just cheeses your opponent off. Bye-bye Mephiston (or Swarmlord, or ...)! :rotfl:

The GM for games under about 1750 pts I find prohibitively expensive. It's not that he isn't awesome: he is. Worth every point. But sometimes you can get more of an army by not using the GM. There are WAY more ways to build GK armies these days than to just say: "Always take the GM!" I am disappointed that this seems to be the limit of our creativity. :(

As for your lists: they're both illegal. You have to take 2 Troops choices, both of your lists only have 1. Make your lists legal, and then we can talk. :)

·
Registered
792 Posts
Frankly, for small games and pure GK orientation, I'd go with a Brotherhood Champion. He's actually surprisingly useful and killy, and when he dies he usually has a 2/3 chance of pulling off an awesome maneuver that just cheeses your opponent off. Bye-bye Mephiston (or Swarmlord, or ...)! :rotfl:

The GM for games under about 1750 pts I find prohibitively expensive. It's not that he isn't awesome: he is. Worth every point. But sometimes you can get more of an army by not using the GM. There are WAY more ways to build GK armies these days than to just say: "Always take the GM!" I am disappointed that this seems to be the limit of our creativity. :(

As for your lists: they're both illegal. You have to take 2 Troops choices, both of your lists only have 1. Make your lists legal, and then we can talk. :)
I didn't default to "always take the grandmaster". I took what he had, and tried to improve it without changing the list in its entirety, or the way he envisioned running it. Replacing the subpar brother captain with a grand master isn't a huge stretch. But, replacing it with a unit that CANNOT DS, in an army meant to DS, is a huge issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Hey Guys, thanks for the advice so far. Sorry, when I was copying over my list I must have accidentally missed my second GK squad. I had 2 troop choices before. But I took the advice of Zagman for my 1000 point game, with minor alterations. I think the changes will be great for what I plan on doing. I've changed around my list to accommodate the points increase for the troops. And the Teleporter on the DK will be killer.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have actually redone my 1000 point army a few times since I last posted. If anyone is still around, take a quick look?

HQ

Crowe

Troops

10 Purifiers
Rhino Transport
Hammer
Psybolt Ammo
7x Halberds
2x Psycannons

10 GKSS
Hammer
Psybolt ammo
Psycannon x2

Heavy Support

Dreadknight
Heavy Incinerator
Great Sword
Teleporter

I've racked my brain with this list a million times, and it seems fairly even and able to dish out just about anything. That I will be playing most Tyranids, Tau, And Imperial guard is my foremost concern, but I think these can stand a fair chance.

My tau friend is a broadside abuser. If it doesn't have a rail gun or a mech suit, he doesn't want it.
Same friend is playing Nids, but he is new, so I assume since he is a one trick pony he will try and swarm me.
And IG player will be dishing out lots of plasma and guarantee to have a Russ. So I think I have prepared well.

Again, any opinions are welcome and appreciated.

·
127 Posts
HQ

Crowe

Troops

10 Purifiers
Rhino Transport
Hammer
Psybolt Ammo
7x Halberds
2x Psycannons

10 GKSS
Hammer
Psybolt ammo
Psycannon x2

Heavy Support

Dreadknight
Heavy Incinerator
Great Sword
Teleporter
Honestly I think if you are taking Crowe, then you are better off running two purifer squads maxed out with 4 Psycannons, Hammer, & the rest Halberds. Drop your Rhino as its your only armour, and Psybolts can go aswell to fund your second squad of Purifiers.

Also not sure about the teleporter on your Dreadknight, but up to you.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have actually redone my 1000 point army a few times since I last posted. If anyone is still around, take a quick look?

HQ

Crowe

Troops

*10 Purifiers
Rhino Transport
Hammer
Psybolt Ammo
7x Halberds
2x Psycannons

~ Drop the rhino, and split the squad into two squads of 5. I'm not too sure if you want to max out your special weapon options, but it does sound a solid plan against the opponents you'll be facing. Keep hammers on the KotF(s).

*10 GKSS
Hammer
Psybolt ammo
Psycannon x2

~ I'd exchange their swords for halberds, but everything else looks good.

Heavy Support

*Dreadknight
Heavy Incinerator
Great Sword
Teleporter

~ The CC weapons, for a dreadknight, are a complete waste in my opinion. He already has 2 fists, which count as Dread CC weapons ( S10, +1A ). Give him a heavy incinerator, a heavy psilencer, leave on the porter, and off he goes!

I've racked my brain with this list a million times, and it seems fairly even and able to dish out just about anything. That I will be playing most Tyranids, Tau, And Imperial guard is my foremost concern, but I think these can stand a fair chance.

*My tau friend is a broadside abuser. If it doesn't have a rail gun or a mech suit, he doesn't want it.

~ I assume this means 9 broadsides? Throw the DK at them, and have the rest of your list use cover ( if any ) as they run up the table. Fire at everything in range, and tear anything that gets too close apart. Ignore any devilfish until you get within 12inches of them. If your friend is smart, he'll have it equipped with the pod protecting it from any fire over 12 inches away. When the DK is done with the broadsides, or they ran off the field, have him shoot/burn/tear through what's left.

*Same friend is playing Nids, but he is new, so I assume since he is a one trick pony he will try and swarm me.

~ Throw the DK at something big, and have the rest of your force fire away while advancing. It wouldn't hurt to stay in cover, for a round or two, to use the "heavy" option of the pyscannon for more kills. When the DK is done with the MC(s), have him shoot/burn/tear through what's left. Just be weary of the nids that pop out of the ground, as they will knock you around and fry you to a nice crisp.

*And IG player will be dishing out lots of plasma and guarantee to have a Russ. So I think I have prepared well.

~ Use the DK to pop the tank(s), and basically use the rest of your list as I've been stating many times before. Take cover behind every little piece you can, as plasma fire spells "murder" to any marine. It would be wise to concentrate fire on a squad at a time, blowing it to kibble, before moving on to the next squad. After tank-popping ... well, you know what to do with the DK.

Again, any opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Your biggest headache will be Crowe, since he's not an IC. Keep him in cover at all times, even using the bodies of other marines, so he can "do his thing" in CC.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like that idea, but what I'm curious about is the Psilencer on the DK.

Can you move and shoot with that? Or does the MC status get rid of that?

How can I pop IG tanks with incinerator and PSilencer? With the doomfists?

I really appreciate the help, this is definitly giving me a better idea of how to run my army.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Double post. XD

·
Registered
792 Posts
I like that idea, but what I'm curious about is the Psilencer on the DK.

Can you move and shoot with that? Or does the MC status get rid of that?

How can I pop IG tanks with incinerator and PSilencer? With the doomfists?

I really appreciate the help, this is definitly giving me a better idea of how to run my army.
MCs are Relentless.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Feel free to use the Hammer when you do use a Brother Captain or Grand Master, you will get a strength 8 armour ignoring beast of a weapon that will NOT cause you to strike last. Nemesis daemon hammers strike at the users initiative and not at initiative 1 unlike a lowly thunder hammer. I'd still be tempted to go for the Brother captain or grand master over crowe, though he has the potential to pack a real punch, and the following is of course only my opinion, a captain armed with a daemon hammer for five more points is a better use of points. Looking at the armies you'll be facing i'd go for the gatling psilencer over the incinerator, 12 shots at strength 4 is massively useful against high model count armies which im assuming, whether rightly of wrongly, the tau, nid and guard armies you'll be playing will be. As i said though, this is only my humble opinion. You should play what you are most comfortable playing. Good luck

·
Registered
792 Posts
Feel free to use the Hammer when you do use a Brother Captain or Grand Master, you will get a strength 8 armour ignoring beast of a weapon that will NOT cause you to strike last. Nemesis daemon hammers strike at the users initiative and not at initiative 1 unlike a lowly thunder hammer. I'd still be tempted to go for the Brother captain or grand master over crowe, though he has the potential to pack a real punch, and the following is of course only my opinion, a captain armed with a daemon hammer for five more points is a better use of points. Looking at the armies you'll be facing i'd go for the gatling psilencer over the incinerator, 12 shots at strength 4 is massively useful against high model count armies which im assuming, whether rightly of wrongly, the tau, nid and guard armies you'll be playing will be. As i said though, this is only my humble opinion. You should play what you are most comfortable playing. Good luck
You sire are WRONG. Please read the rules, try again later.

It and I quote "uses the rules for thunder hammers". Only the Dreadknight strikes at initiative with a Daemonhammer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Many apologies Zagman, my puny brain read grey knight instead of dreadknight. Jshway as a way to atone for my most heinous error i will resuggest some close combat weaponry for your captain/ grand master. Against the nids it may be worth going for the halbeard to get the extra initiative as they do have some high initiative units that could potentially strike before your leader. Against the other two though i would personally go for the falchions, the extra attack may just cause that extra casualty that would result in a morale check. And ofcourse the sword is free and against any high strength/high attacks/power weaponed unit in close combat the +1 to your iron halo may make the world of difference. Once again sorry for the duff hammer advice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey guys I have bought some more models since I last asked for a review of my list. This is my current army, let me know what you think.

Librarian + Hammer + 3 powers= 170

5 GKSS + Hammer + Psycannon= 120

5 GKSS + Hammer + Psycannon= 120

10 Purifiers (2 combat squads) + Hammer + 4 Psycannons + Psybolt ammo + 5 Halberds = 315

Dreadnought + 2 Twin-Linked Autocannons + Psybolt ammo= 135

Dreadnought + 2 Twink-Linked Autocannons + Psybolt ammo= 135

I beat my friends twice each with this, one using a Tau army and the other using Imperial guard.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts