Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have $400 and this is what i was going to buy but i didnt no if it was a good idea or not. But keep in mind that my army is strickly grey knights only.

HQ=9 terminators 1w/ Psy. and Grand Master w/ Daemon hammer and Shield.
Troops=10 Grey knights
Troops=10 Grey knights
Troops=10 Grey knights
Fast Attack=10 Grey knights w/ teleport attack
Fast Attack=10 Grey knights w/ teleport attack
Heavy Support=land raider
Heavy Support=land raider

i will get more terminators later and also i am not worried about points now but any suggestions will be considered.

THANK YOU!:shifty:

·
Registered
126 Posts
alright, well im not sure if you have it already, but first things first. the DH codex would be the way to go. Other than that....

First of all, even at the most basic level, this is over 2000 points (in case you were wondering)

You dont need 2 land raiders. Drop 1 for 2 dreads

Also, you dont really need that many terminators. I'll admit, when i first started trying to make a GK army i had an army with 16 terminators, one of which a GM. Theyre really good, but when you think what you could get for that many points... well your mind can change.

Otherwise, this is a solid list, just barely any anti-tank. but that mostly comes from wargear, not the models themselves.

solid stuff, just alot of it to start. buying this much at once might become alittle overwhelming to build and paint.

good luck, and welcome to the inquisition

·
señor brushman!
1,597 Posts
Get the codex and rulebook first off if you haven't already.

Then I'd get the army peice by peice, but if you really want to spend all of that $400 dollars then go ahead but if you ever changed your mind, thats $400 dollars down the drain, which for me at least is a lot of money.

Aside from that, I wouldn't get as much terminators. Maybe 4-7 Terminators would be good. I'd get 2 Psycannon Grey Knight models for each Grey Knight squad.

I'd get 2 dreadnoughts instead of a Landraider.

Goodluck with your new army,

~Ben

·
Registered
156 Posts
I'm going to start Grey Knights as well, and I was curious why everyone doesn't like having a bunch of terminators. To me, GK Termies are the essense of Grey Knights (they look so darn cool!!). The extra points between a normal GK troop and a single GK Termy is well spent, too; the power weapon boost, bonus armor saving-goodness, and extra attack is worth it, in my opinion. I'd rather have bare-bones Troop squads and have my "Troops" be the Terminators.

After covering all your needs (anti-tank, anti-horde, etc), what would be better than a load of termies?

·
The Orange Grey Knight
4,777 Posts
@ Spinkycleft: GKTs are good, but you just can't get enough to really provide numbers, thus you'll be outnumbered everytime, and no matter how good a save you have, it will fail. you may have 40 GKTs, but the Imperial Guard can what, 100+ troops with maybe what? 20 Plasma guns, Basalisks and oth nasty-ness, and no matter how good your save, how goods they are in CC, chances are you'll lose. IMO, and many others I'm sure.

@ brother-captian stern: What we need to know is how you want to play your army, then we can help you pick what fits your gaming style.

Mike

·
Registered
401 Posts
stern, how many times do I have to tell you that there is a specific place to put army lists? The DH Army List forum can be found at the very top of the DH forum. Use it.
This isn't an army list, just a shopping list.

First off, you should deffinitely get the codex if you havn't already, as many others have said. You should come out with a 1,000 or 1,500 pt list beforehand, get the stuff for that, figure out how you play, then fill out the list to 2,000 or whatever you want.

I agree with IAmAngel about the 2 dreadnoughts instead of 1 of the Land Raiders, and I also think that you should look into getting a Land Raider Crusader instead a normal LR. If you can figure out how, you could get a LRC and build it so it could change between a Crusader and a normal Land Raider.

73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i do have the codex. but i dont want a dread i have used em' b4 and they are nothing compred to a raider but really now i have 20 termis and i dont like that so i am sellin em' on ebay so i can get what i listed and i am not worried about pionts right now.

73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i am not getting dreads they ar nothing compared to a raider and also i wont give my knights psycannons cus its 25 extra points and then it will suck in assualt with is how i play.

73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Spinkycleft said:
I'm going to start Grey Knights as well, and I was curious why everyone doesn't like having a bunch of terminators. To me, GK Termies are the essense of Grey Knights (they look so darn cool!!). The extra points between a normal GK troop and a single GK Termy is well spent, too; the power weapon boost, bonus armor saving-goodness, and extra attack is worth it, in my opinion. I'd rather have bare-bones Troop squads and have my "Troops" be the Terminators.

After covering all your needs (anti-tank, anti-horde, etc), what would be better than a load of termies?
you are the only person with any sense at all TERMIE KICK ASS but no1 else likes em' i dont know y. but yer totally right i am just getting 50 grey knights so i will have some good "shoot em' up" guys. but just get a load of termies after that. dude dont underestimate the land raider i have killed 3 carnifexes with that thing.

73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MiketehFox said:
@ brother-captian stern: What we need to know is how you want to play your army, then we can help you pick what fits your gaming style.

Mike
i am not sure what that means but basicaly i go qualitie over quantitie so for me i get alot of knights alot more termies play with a marine teamate at like 5000 points and blast the chaos to death

·
Registered
187 Posts
mEGALOMANIAC said:
He posted a list and asked if it was any good. Sounds like an army list to me.

Why don't we let the moderators moderate.

As far as those troops go... I would say you should consider getting land raider crusaders, if your intention is to use them as transports to assault, as they have the frag grenade effect to help with that. As that would put a den tin your anti-tank capability, maybe one of each.

Also, Taking the Grand Master's nemesis force weapon away from him is generally a really bad idea. he'll do more harm with it, even to a demon, if he wounds and uses the instakill effect, than he will with the deamonhammer, and it will allow him to strike at initiative vs. non-deamons, which the hammer wont. if you're looking for the other effects of the hammer, consider giving one of the retinue terminators a thunder hammer/storm shield combo instead, so that you dont lose the force weapon effect. (also, pointswise thats cheaper).

·
Registered
13 Posts
brother-captian stern said:
i am not getting dreads they ar nothing compared to a raider and also i wont give my knights psycannons cus its 25 extra points and then it will suck in assualt with is how i play.
Dreads are recommended over land raiders not because they are better but because you can get the same or even more firepower for less points. Since they are less points, they will be smaller targets.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I haven't done the statistics for it, but I think the Land Raider Crusader has almost the same anti-tank capabilities (at a shorter range).

An Assault Cannon beats the Lascannon for anti-armor (scary!), statistically. Twin-link both of them. The TLLC beats the multi-melta a bit. That's how they stand on anti-armor, but at least with the Crusader it is an effective troop-killer, and an incredible transport to boot. I'd rather have more Crusaders than normal Land Raiders if I was Land Raider-crazy.

I strongly suggest, if you want two Land Raiders, to get 1 Crusader and 1 Land Raider. But I suggest even more to get some Drednaughts instead of the Land Raider for some more effective anti-tank.

Let the Grandmaster have his Nemisis Force Weapon. The NFW is better for busting baddies, no matter what race. His regiment size may be a little crazy; I'd move some termies to Elites so you can have more flexibility, but you can easily do that when you have the models.

·
Registered
170 Posts
and yeh

oh and back to subject, Brother-captain stern, that is an insane force, wayyyyyy over 2000 points (around 3000) actually and seriously more than $400 (maybe) with paints, rule books etc definately.and when you get alll that you will have tones (quite literally) of models to paint up and make. It also leaves you at a major tactical advantage with alot of the same troops with no pros/cons in any combat type:|
:hmm: rethink it all

·
señor brushman!
1,597 Posts
Don't double post. There's an edit button that looks like a little pencil.

Dreads are good. They are a lot cheaper but still quite powerfull.

You don't have to get psycannons for your GK, but I'd suggest it. You'll get at least 2 shots off with it before you assault as your moving up.

~Ben

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.