Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I havent played 40k in about a year and I am starting a Daemonhunters force. At the moment I am kind of stumped, I currently have two Grey Knight squads and an Inquisitor, but I do not know if I wont to go for the full Grey Knight theme...or a bit of a mix pulling in every thing from the Ordo Malleus (so thats everything, death cultist, stormtroopers, etc).

Some pros and cons on fuly gk or mixed army would be great.

Cheers guys

·
Registered
234 Posts
Start yourself off with a decent GK base (1xHQ / 2xTROOPS) and then work into one or the other depending on whether playing GKs is for you, or if you feel you need extra flavour in the line up to help you. If you do go with a combination of forces then don't forget that you can still field pure GK armies. It will just take longer to build them up.

Playing pure GK requires that you're a cunning player with a lot of patience but can be very rewarding.

I find having ISTs helps when the points are limiting. They're pretty decent troops for the penny and help you get numbers on the field when your severely lacking them.
This goes even more so for Sisters of Battle, who for only a point more per troop have a higher armour save, slightly better guns (at the moment) and can access faith abilities. Most =][= fans in my experience are either pure SoB or pure GK not realising how well they can both compliment each other.

Anyway, as I said back at the beginning, start off pure GK and then if you find that it would be helpful with your style of play to add different units then you'll know what to do.

If you're collecting just because you like painting models then why not mix things up? Most agree that it can get tedious painting similar models over-and-over?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Good question zadakiel, I was wondering the same thing. The idea of a few versus a lot ("You take the thousand on the left and I'll take the thousand on the right") is very appealing, but I guess it pays to keep your options open and SOB seemed like the logical choice. Thank you Oiad for confirming that one for me.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
I would actually recommend NOT starting a new DH army at all. The codexes have been pulled from the shelves and are only available via PDF from GW now. All the of the stock has been pulled from brick-n-mortar store shelves, and when talking about Sisters of Battle at least, some models can't even be ordered from GW online!

The rumors of a new codex for the Grey Knights are strong and consistent. And you can bet the army will be radically reworked if the existing new 5th-edition-developed codexes are any indication.

I suggest patience. The wait will be worth it. Otherwise you're potentially going to spend money and time on an army that won't work the way you want before you know it.

Reactions: Tuatara

·
Registered
264 Posts
I suggest patience. The wait will be worth it. Otherwise you're potentially going to spend money and time on an army that won't work the way you want before you know it.
You are the voice of reason number 6 (The Prisoner was a great series btw).

After reading through a number of the rumours and about items being pulled, it certainly makes me wonder if perhaps I should have started this hobby with a different army. The trouble is ..... I can't wait :freaked-out:

But you are correct. Having said that, given that I don't even have a basic force to deploy out onto the battlefield, but am very keen to end up with a Daemonhunter army, perhaps just getting the basics might be the plan. A couple of squads of GKs and an HQ. Surely that wouldn't hurt......would it? I currently have a number of Terminators, BC Stern, an assassin (Vindicare) and Coteaz and retinue (they were all going cheap). Is getting a couple of GK squads a reasonable move? Then at least I can take to the field.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Welcome to LO!

I think getting a new army of GK is not such a bad idea but you have to keep something in mind. I would not get a big force unless money and shelf space are of no issue.
Sure we are getting redone, sure some combination of units may change, but i dont believe we will lose the ability to field power armored grey knight units, so I would buy one or two and an inquisitor models you like, especially if there is a sale on them, if nothing else you're buying a pretty model to look at.

I know im buying a LR very soon to convert, for GK, I havent played mine in 4 years, but when they will come out I want to give them a shot again. Doubt that LR will go out of style either way. Im also thinking about GK dreadnaught but I want to see if GW willl make any different models, and if mr ward will be a co author, so we get bloo... grey talons, with grey missiles and grey lance and grey shield in our armoury.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
WhiteRussian is essentially correct. If you can get your hands on the current line of GKT and PAGK models, they'll still be usable in any codex redo.

A land raider crusader or two also wouldn't necessarily be a bad buy, but do please have a look at the BA codex and the Storm Raven. If that appeals to you, you may wish to hold off on buying any tanks. Almost assuredly the new GK codex will have that in it, and I'd be very surprised if a model wasn't also going to be available at the same time the new GK codex will be released.

Finally, note that sticking to a pure GK army in the current 5e environment -- by necessity as we've noted -- means that you'll have one of the least competitive armies in the game on the table. :( Sad, but true. And sticking to pure GK, there's really nothing you can do to change that. Given the current DH codex, the only competitive armies you can make field very few GKs but do field a lot of ISTs and inducted IG. There is almost no way IG induction will be allowed in the new GK codex, so you shouldn't bother with that. And it's not clear how much non-GK models will feature in a codex that will supposedly be featuring GKs, so I couldn't in good faith recommend much investment into ISTs.

If you're interested in the army list builds I'm talking about, please see the links in my sig.

So, in the final analysis, if you're going to continue with your GK project, try and keep your army small. Say 1000 pts max. That way you'll be able to effortlessly expand into more "standard" points levels with the new rules and the new models. (I'd be very surprised if plastic GKs and GKTs weren't coming.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts