Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This came about from wanting something different to my IG but not wanting to start a new army due to just starting Warriors of Chaos and not having much money to spend on a new army. Of course this means I immediatly fell in love with the idea and look of GKs, who are very very expensive. So yeah... But I'm hooked and want to include some GKs with my guard.

My Guard army has:
CCS with plasma
2*PCS with GLs
6*Inf squads
4*Autocannons
3*Chimeras
3*Leman Russes

What should I use to compliment them and how should I use them?

·
596 Posts
Grey Knights can add assault/counter assault value to an IG army.
This is usually in the form of a Terminator squad or even some Power Armour Grey Knights (PAGKs).

Gray Knights contribute well to thinning infantry ranks but offer very little in the way of tank busting.
Looking at your list, you have zero anti-tank units and this should be addressed before considering adding GKs. Consider putting melta guns in your chimeras.

So, after you fix your AT deficiency, I suggest one squad of Terminators with a Grand Master just so your army can play CC as well.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgot to say that I have 6 melta and 6 plasma troopers extra so I can turn some of those infantry squads into tank-hunting/everything else hunting veteran squads if I need to. The auto-cannons can also be turned into las-cannons.

Saying that most of the time I go against Orks in trukks, Marines in rhinos or 'Nids so meltas are not often needed, while plasma and/or massed guardsmen are.

Thanks for the helpful reply though. Might also try using a vindicare assasin as taking out those PK Nobs would be very handy.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
Eh, I wouldn't mess around with the assassins. The Callidus is the only one that will always be useful, and she's also the priciest. Not least of which because you have to spring for an Inquisitor Lord as well. :(

I think GKTs ally best into the IG. Take 5, perhaps fit in a pair of psycannons as well, and let them borrow an IG Chimera. All 5 can shoot out the top hatch and nobody wants to tangle with angry GKTs if you pop their ride.

Normal power-armoured GKs can be used in the same fashion. Not as powerful, but cheaper and still darn awesome.

These are the best ways to incorporate GKs into your IG, methinks.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
I concur with number6, don't bother with Assassins unless you are just playing for fun. I have used all of them and can say that only the Callidus is marginally worth the points. Vindicares have never been that good for me, second best is the Eversor.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I've heard taking a Culexus with Psyker battle squad can be MEAN.
2 attacks + one for every psyker nearby.
and Lifedrain with the Pskers is going to end badly too
That would be nasty considering that the ranged attack is S5 AP1 Assault 2 (maybe 3, don't remember) already.

I swear by my Callidus assassin personally, but that's in a pure DH army.

·
3,395 Posts
I've heard taking a Culexus with Psyker battle squad can be MEAN.
2 attacks + one for every psyker nearby.
It's also very short ranged and reliant on the assassin and psykers moving up together unobstructed and jumping out in the line of fire for one big salvo (it's questionable if psykers in a transport grant the culexus any firepower)

The alternative assassin/PBS combination is to use the psykers to reduce a target's Ld from a safe distance and have the callidus flame them. 3-4 psykers is enough to get 2+ to wound, while a full squad will let her instant death most things.

Of course, it's a lot of points and effort - you could just take a banewolf or two.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.