Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if a unit wants to shoot past my Grotz and into my Boyz...do the Boyz get a 4+ cover save? The reason I ask is this...

When dealing with units and cover saves it says that if you are shooting over a piece of terrain or over a unit there is no cover save granted. You must be shooting through those things. Grotz are small...so it seems likely that the would be getting shot "over" at all times.....do they still provide a cover save?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Not quite, thats the Monstrous creature rule, as far as infantry are concernd, if even a tiny part of the model is obscured, then they get a save. Something to do with "activly seeking cover" if i remember corectly. Ill go and see if i can find the page.

Edit:

here it is pg 21

"when any part of the targets body is obscured from the point of veiw of the firer, the target is in cover."

So if the grots even slightly cover the orks, they get a save.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes upon a re reading of the rules ==Me== is correct. It also indicates that "firers may shoot over intervening if they are tall enough or high up on some terrain piece.." So I assume that grots will provide this cover save if any normal troop is shooting through them. Perhaps Tanks and Walkers would be able to shoot over them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
yeah its 4+ but another point I always thought was weird was,
Does the grot unit that provides the cover save to the ork unit also provide a cover save to the target of the ork unit?

So if my ork unit is behind a gretchin unit and it shoots at an enemy unit then the enemy unit gets the 4+ cover save from the gretchin?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
That depends. When you draw line of sight from your Boyz, do the Grots obscure any part of the enemy models? Usually, the answer is no, in which case your target does not receive their cover save.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes...the only way a unit does not confer a save is if you are shooting through your own unit (like a boy is obscured by another boy in his own unit)

Unless there is no obstruction as stated by BossGorestompa

·
Registered
304 Posts
Your boyz get a cover save but the enemy does not.
From the rulebook, page 21:
"When any part of the target models body . . . is obscured from the point of view of the firer, the target model is in cover . . . firers may of course shoot over intervening terrain if they are tall enough or high up on some terrain piece so that their line of sight is completely clear. As usual, check the firers' line of sight by taking a good look from behind their heads, and 'see what they see'.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Unfortunately, yes. Unit cover saves goes both ways. But its not that big a deal if you were shooting at marines or anything with 4+, 3+ saves as they would use their normal saves (unless denied by AP). Against the more elite troops, you'd be getting more out of the grot save than they would.

There are exceptions to this rule, namely to do with monstrous creatures and vehicles.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Unfortunately, yes. Unit cover saves goes both ways. But its not that big a deal if you were shooting at marines or anything with 4+, 3+ saves as they would use their normal saves (unless denied by AP). Against the more elite troops, you'd be getting more out of the grot save than they would.

There are exceptions to this rule, namely to do with monstrous creatures and vehicles.
I suggest you reread the rules, mate. Cover from intervening units is only granted if the target is at least partially obscured by the intervening unit. Grots are tiny, and if in base contact to your Boyz (or close to), your Boyz can see over them perfectly well.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Huh... Looks like I missed that little bit.

Thanks for pointing that out Boss :).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I suggest you reread the rules, mate. Cover from intervening units is only granted if the target is at least partially obscured by the intervening unit. Grots are tiny, and if in base contact to your Boyz (or close to), your Boyz can see over them perfectly well.
Yea it all depends on whether or not the model is obscured first...and secondly who or what is obscuring it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts