Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
durus
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to an upcoming GT in a month and want to hone my lists. Feel free to rip it up, comment or critisize......

The list are limited to what I have: ie: Grenadiers, Demolishers, 3 Chimeras, Hellhounds, I also have a couple of Bassies.

List #1

95pts HQ: Lord Commissar, Carapace, Power Fist. Goes with Melta Vets.

Troops:
420 pts. 2 x Squads of Grenadier Plasma Vets.
3 Plasma Guns, Vox, Power Fist
Chimera, ML, HF

205pts. Squad of Grenadier Melta Vets.
3 Melta Guns, PF, Vox,
Chimera, ML, HF

219pts, Sisters of Battle Squad,
Veteran Sister, PW, Book of St. Lucius, Heavy Flamer, Meltagun.
Rhino, EA, Smoke

Fast Attack:
150pts Hellhound: Multimelta, Smoke.

140pts Squadron of 2 Heavy Lascannon Sentinals

Heavy Support:
185pts. Leman Russ Demolisher, Lascannon

165pts. Leman Russ, Lascannon

250pts. Leman Russ Punisher,
Heavy Bolter Sponsons and PASK

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
95pts HQ: Lord Commissar, Carapace, Power Fist. Goes with Melta Vets.
Lord Commissars are cool-looking, but he's not going to do much for a mechanized force. CCS's on the other hand, can take 3-4 meltas and charge right on in with the vets. Or you could take a Primaris Psyker for some extra shooting attacks.

Troops:
420 pts. 2 x Squads of Grenadier Plasma Vets.
3 Plasma Guns, Vox, Power Fist
Chimera, ML, HF

205pts. Squad of Grenadier Melta Vets.
3 Melta Guns, PF, Vox,
Chimera, ML, HF
Voxes don't make sense for a mounted unit that can't receive orders. Leave the Power Fist off too, as these guys don't have a prayer in close-combat anyhow.

As for plasma, I see the value in having one plasma vet squad to protect your backfield. But 2 is overkill. Swap one of these for melta vets instead. If you're using plastic guard, you can get meltas off the GW website space marine bitz page at just $6.60 for 5.

219pts, Sisters of Battle Squad,
Veteran Sister, PW, Book of St. Lucius, Heavy Flamer, Meltagun.
Rhino, EA, Smoke
Nasty! Keep them behind the melta vets as they advance. The book will keep your troops from running, while the Chimeras will shield the Rhino from incoming fire.

Fast Attack:

Nice.

You don't need armored sentinels in a mech army. Swap to 3 Scout Sentinels (120 pts. w/autocannons) instead to get more firepower. Autocannons == Lascannons for killing light armor, so save some points and go with 3. You'll also want the extra shots when shooting at Tyrannids in a few weeks.

Heavy Support:

Looks pretty good, but I'd drop the lascannon on the Demolisher for a heavy flamer instead. Try it for a few games and you'll never go back. :)
250pts. Leman Russ Punisher, Heavy Bolter Sponsons and PASK
This tank just isn't a very good buy for what it does. There's lots of better choices you could make, but #1 in my book would be taking another unit of melta vets. You need at least 4 scoring units at 2000 pts. Put the rest of the points you have into a CCS with an Astropath for the win. :)

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
HQ:
I had the same run up as this boy in my mech army. Seems nasty on paper but they guy never did anything but get his unit killed. as Kgoreham said, you're better off with a CCS instead.

TROOPS:
Carapace armour isn't needed in a Mech force. The only time my carapace ever gets used is when the Chimera blows up. You could save 90pts by just loosing it.
Loose the Powerfist too. It's not amazingly expensive but those points might be better spent on grabbing Demolitions. Any Marines who decide to assault your Chimera will get a democharge in the face next turn.

As kgoreham said, ditch 1 unit of Plasma Vets for another melta Squad. You'll be facng alot of vehicles in a tournament so the extra Meltaguns will help. Will save you points too.

FAST:
Armoured sentinels are fine, I use squadrons of 3 all the time. they're brilliant for tying up units like Plague Marines and even Daemon Princes for a few turns. Stay away from Lascannons though. They're too expensive for the 1 shot Bs3 gun. If you really want value for money grab a Hydra.

HEAVY:
Demolisher, Don't both with the Lascannon. Same reasons as the armoured sentinel.

Leman Russ. I'd like to see it as another Demolisher but if you just have the Russ thats fine. Lascannons, again.

Punisher, I can see the pain this can give out but AP- kills it. Hell even Orks get a save! It just wont do the amount of damage you think it will. Plus it's got the same problem a demolisher has - Short range. Which means you're not shooting the big gun for the first few turns or you're on the move to find targets.
Personally I'd swap this guy for an Exterminator. 4x str8 shots that are twin linked will shred any light armour vehicles it can turn it's head towards and it can go for hoards too.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Well, he said he only has 3 chimeras, so a CCS is really out of the question - a Primaris Psyker would probably be a better choice than the Lord Commissar - you at least get the Primaris Psyker's shooting power, which should be nasty against hordes and light vehicles.

Other than that, I can really only echo what the others have said - strip down the veterans as much as you can, lascannon sentinels are not their best use. I suspect your using Kasrkin or Stormtrooper models as the base for your veteran squads, which would explain the Grenadiers doctrine. The punisher would be better as another demolisher or russ, and heavy flamers on tanks is a very, very useful backup weapon.

Reactions: Diggums Hammer

·
durus
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys, great advice. Thank you!

Here is an updated list. I added one more squad of Sisters. Dropped all Power Fist and weapons. Dropped the Punisher for an Exterminator, and changed the Lord Commissar for a CCS. Yes, I only have Kaskrins to take, otherwize I would have taken Demolishion vets. How is this one?

CCS: Carapace, Power Fist. 4 Melta Guns
Chimera.

Troops:
210 pts. Squad of Grenadier Plasma Vets.
3 Plasma Guns, Vox,
Chimera, ML, HF

190pts. Squad of Grenadier Melta Vets.
3 Melta Guns, Vox,
Chimera, ML, HF

418pts, 2 x Sisters of Battle Squad,
Veteran Sister, Book of St. Lucius, Heavy Flamer, Meltagun.
Rhino, EA, Smoke

Fast Attack:

Heavy Support:

215pts. Leman Russ Exterminator,
Lacannon and PASK

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think the list is ok, much better for dropping the expensive (and not overly effective) punisher for something else. I'm not entirely sure Pask is necessary. I personally go with heavy flamers on the russes, the lascannon is an extra x pts you can save. I follow the more-is-better school of thought.

The sisters could do with a little more faith support so they can do divine guidance (who doesn't want AP1 template weapons???) on several units, maybe try and crow bar a cheap canoness into the list? Also you could have one squad as melta/melta and one as flamer/heavy flamer. Gives them more defined roles.

Hope some of that helps

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
if you want anti-tank. BS3 lascannons aren't the way to go. they won't hit much and pask doesn't make that much of a difference. if you want lascannons go for vendettas and stick your vets in there. This list seems way to elite for a GT list. personally i from experience feel the troops choices need to be atleast 5 or the list much have 5 scoring units to be competitive. plus one of them needs to be an objective sitting squad.

A infantry platoon with autocannons would work nicely, while you won't lose the special weapons avaliable to the vets ( as your PCS can get more special weapons, so they essentially become a cheaper alternative to your vets).

Also, i would drop the power fists all together, as you really don't want guard in clsoe combat. plus the carapace doesn't help as others have said. have you considered marbo? he can be hard to use, but he's well worth his points.

thanks
antique_nova

·
durus
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I liked the idea of Vendettas, especially with the Sisters. I was able to squeeze in a Cannoness and Marbo.

CCS: Carapace, Power Fist. 4 Melta Guns
Chimera.

Cannoness, Book of St Lucius, Blessed Weaponn (goes with CCS squad)

Elites: 65pts. Marbo

Troops:
210 pts. Squad of Grenadier Plasma Vets.
3 Plasma Guns, Vox,
Chimera, ML, HF

190pts. Squad of Grenadier Melta Vets.
3 Melta Guns, Vox,
Chimera, ML, HF

312pts, 2 x Sisters of Battle Squad,
Veteran Sister, Book of St. Lucius, Heavy Flamer, Meltagun.
(one squad with Power Weapon)

Fast Attack:

130pts Vendetta (for Sisters Squad)

130pts Vendetta (for Sisters Squad)

Heavy Support:

185pts. Leman Russ Demolisher,
Lacannon

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
I like it. Personally i wouldn't put the Canoness in with the CCS. The CCSs main role is shooting tanks and killing them dead, in the face, twice. Combat is not something they were meant to do. The Canoness will probably just get them killed. Maybe whack her in a sisters squad instead?

I'd also think about giving her an Eviscerator so she can cut up tanks and Dreads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.