Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the general principle is this... Three waves to this army, the hormies are wave 1. They basically are there to get shot to ribbons. Wave 2 will soak up fire or engage them by turn 3. Wave 3 is the Genestealers and Raveners, who dart from cover to cover (if possible) to engage the enemy with.. or after the gaunts. Meanwhile, fire support and anti-armor is being provided by the tyrant, fex and warriors (who advance with the broods).

You'll notice I gave both my warrior broods and genestealers EC. This is to provide three distinct armor sets to provide alternate targets in each category.

I'm also 30 pts shy and considering where to put them. Drop 10 more and make one gaunt brood scuttlers? Throw another psychic power on the thropes?

1 Hive Tyrant @ 157 Pts
ES, TS, Barbed Strangler x1, VC x1

3 Warriors @ 118 Pts
ES, EC, TS, Scytal x3, Deathspitter x2, VC x1

3 Warriors @ 118 Pts

3 Warriors @ 118 Pts

16 Hormagaunts @ 160 Pts
Scything Talons
16 Hormagaunts @ 160 Pts
Scything Talons

20 Gaunt Brood @ 100 Pts
Spinefists
20 Gaunt Brood @ 100 Pts
Spinefists
20 Gaunt Brood @ 100 Pts
Spinefists

8 Genestealers @ 160 Pts
EC

2 Ravener @ 80 Pts
RCs / ScyTals
2 Ravener @ 80 Pts
RCs / ScyTals

1 Carnifex @ 159 Pts

2 Zoanthrope @ 110 Pts
Warp Blast

Total Roster Cost: 1720

-HamsterOfDoom

·
Registered
388 Posts
1 Hive Tyrant @ 157 Pts
He will not last long without tyrant guard or give him extended carapace.

3 Warriors @ 118 Pts

3 Warriors @ 118 Pts

3 Warriors @ 118 Pts
Not fan of VC on warriors that is me.I like your deathspitters

16 Hormagaunts @ 160 Pts
Scything Talons
16 Hormagaunts @ 160 Pts
Scything Talons
Good

20 Gaunt Brood @ 100 Pts
Spinefists
20 Gaunt Brood @ 100 Pts
Spinefists
20 Gaunt Brood @ 100 Pts
Spinefists
Good
8 Genestealers @ 160 Pts
EC
Usually one squad is not enough

2 Ravener @ 80 Pts
RCs / ScyTals
2 Ravener @ 80 Pts
RCs / ScyTals
Good

1 Carnifex @ 159 Pts
I would drop the toxin sacs and get reinforced chitin because you have only one fex

2 Zoanthrope @ 110 Pts
Warp Blast
Better keep these guys near some syanapse or they will die from instant death

Without having you made alot changes, I would change out the HT with extended carapace and give your Fex reinforced chitin . You might have drop one or two gaunts since you have 30pts left to make these changes.
Goodluck on the GT
bonekrusher

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
So the general principle is this... Three waves to this army, the hormies are wave 1. They basically are there to get shot to ribbons. Wave 2 will soak up fire or engage them by turn 3. Wave 3 is the Genestealers and Raveners, who dart from cover to cover (if possible) to engage the enemy with.. or after the gaunts. Meanwhile, fire support and anti-armor is being provided by the tyrant, fex and warriors (who advance with the broods).
Use spinegaunts to soak fire, not hormagaunts. Until it is time to charge, the hormagaunts move at the same speed as spinegaunts, but cost twice as much and therefore last half as long for the points to incoming fire. Therefore, with 32 of them in your list, you're wasting 160 points given the intent.

You'll notice I gave both my warrior broods and genestealers EC. This is to provide three distinct armor sets to provide alternate targets in each category.
You never want to make it easy on your opponent to know what to shoot at. I don't know why you'd think of that as good.

I'm also 30 pts shy and considering where to put them. Drop 10 more and make one gaunt brood scuttlers? Throw another psychic power on the thropes?
Well, if you are taking advance and swapping the hormas to spineys, you're short 190 points, and that may increase as we go.

1 Hive Tyrant @ 157 Pts
In this sized game, w/out a guard or EC, and/or without a 2nd hive tyrant, he's an easy target. My strong personal opinion is that the barbed strangler / vc is a waste on the Tyrant, dropping him to only 4 "shots" per turn. If you want him to be shooty, he's THE best choice for equipping 2 twin-linked devourers, and would drop his cost to 121 points, and give him 12 shots / turn that re-roll misses and wounds, at S5 and BS4. Horrendously efficient against infantry, and will kill AV11 and lower vehicles still.

Now you're short 226

3 Warriors @ 118 Pts
I suppose. Venom Cannons are S7 and can't penetrate things ... kinda meh IMO, still needing 5+ for Eldar skimmers, 6+ for Tau skimmers, and can't hurt Russes/Landraiders/etc.

I personally use twin-linked devourers on shooty warriors, keep them moving up and light up infantry ... but if you feel like these will make a big impact on games for you go for it.

16 Hormagaunts @ 160 Pts
Scything Talons
16 Hormagaunts @ 160 Pts
Scything Talons
As mentioned, I'd change these to spinegaunts as well.

20 Gaunt Brood @ 100 Pts
Spinefists
20 Gaunt Brood @ 100 Pts
Spinefists
20 Gaunt Brood @ 100 Pts
Spinefists
I'd also consider dropping 4 spinegaunts off each squad, so that all gaunt squads are the same size, making it harder for your opponent to pick targets due to them all being worth the same low #. That'd save you a further 60 points, leaving you with 286 to spend.

8 Genestealers @ 160 Pts
EC
If you like genestealers, these are ok. Better make sure they can't be targetted, or they're going to get toasted easily and fast by heavy bolter style fire, even if they are in cover. Only one squad of genestealers = prime target if targettable.

2 Ravener @ 80 Pts
RCs / ScyTals
2 Ravener @ 80 Pts
RCs / ScyTals
Spend 80 of your points saved on a third deployment. No reason not to field 17 force selections in this sized battle as a Tyranid. More is always better and more reliable, and makes things harder on your opponent. 206 to spend.

1 Carnifex @ 159 Pts
Venom Cannons and Barbed Stranglers are already at their max strength on a Carnifex. Toxin Sacs, therefore, is literally wasted points. He should have just the ES, and should cost 148. Give him flesh hooks and start him BEHIND a building, then move him up on top of it when it's your first chance to fire. Flesh hooks make this easy, so you can keep from taking any unfortunate first turn fire on the fex. 149. 10 points saved. 216 to spend.

Buy a 2nd Fex at 149. 67 points to spend.

2 Zoanthrope @ 110 Pts
Warp Blast
Buy a third zoanthrope with warp blast. 12 points to spend.

If it were me, I'd drop the genestealers (172 to spend), and 2 more gaunts per squad (222 to spend). I'd spend 121 on a 2nd hive tyrant w/ ES/TS/2xTwinlinked devourers, filling your force chart and giving you double tyrants, which is effective at keeping them alive and gives you more firepower and redundancy. You still have 101 points to spend. Buy a squad of 6 genestealers, and use them as originally intended. If they're going to be just a single squad, and moving through cover when possible anyway, don't worry about EC or anything else ... just keep 'em in the general locale of the raveners as you mentioned, keep them LOS-blocked / covered, and use 'em along w/ the ravs. You still have 70 spinegaunts rushing ahead to tie things up. You have MORE rending on the charge w/ 6 ravs / 6 stealers (48 rending attacks on charge vs. a previous 44). You have two tyrants, with a total of 24 s5 bs4 shots between them that re-roll to miss and to wound. You've got 17 force deployments. You've got a 2nd carnifex, and a 3rd zoanthrope.

My $.02

·
Registered
264 Posts
Bad News...

I hate to be the one to tell you about Santa....

There is only one, perhaps two Nid builds that will win bet general at a GT.

Nid zillia and perhaps stealer shock.

It is a shame that GW can't write balanced codex's but there it is...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow u would only run a Zilla or Shock list, Tisk Tisk. shooting Nids are what i am finding to make everyone cry, one of my friends wont face me unless he gets a 250 point bonus and first turn and i still win.

What MVBrandt posted was amazing and i think that the tyranid codex is plenty balanced, i have seen my different list work effectively.

I dont like how u just tore Hamsters's list up and said that Nidzillas only work and gave now help full advice(besides losing almost every model he might have bought).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.