Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my friend is planning on getting a guard army for his birthday and i know what hes gonna do with it, and im scared and cant think of a tacticly effective way to counter it. He is going to put all of his guardsman rows thick around his leman russ demolisher, so if i go in close ill get shot up by the demolisher (and lascannons, missles, proubaly a reg leman russ and all sorts of other goodies) the only tank busting weapons in the ork army are also limited to a range of 24 inches so what am i supposed to do. I was thinking bikes to shoot up the masses while battlewagons and trukks rush the back armor with burnas. Would this be effective? Also what abotu getting two KFF and starting all vehicles under it, only to break away at the last second. Does anyone have any advice on what my speed freaks could do against this?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Guard aren't the killer that you seem to think they will be. Basically the KFF will help to a degree, but guard can be a very heavy weapon based army. Your strength will be buggies that can move 12 and shoot 36 in TL Big Shootas, and you have to remember you only need to fight the 1 squad at a time vs a guard line. Guard iniatitive is a 3 in general, that means if you Waagh your going first.

Basically using a KoS you want 1 big unit of storm boys with Zagstrukk, unit of 20. Launch them on the 1st turn into combat. That combat now blocks LOS. Use that to your advantage and advance your trukks at full speed (24 inches) get them as close to that combat as possible. Your deployment is clutch for this.

The dakka wagon is amazing vs guard squads. Lots of shots that wound on 2+ and ignore that 5+ save. a Wagon with 3TL Bs, 5 bolt on BS, and a squad with 3 BS, is wonderful. Why bring 1? Bring 2 or 3.

Want to kill a demolisher? Take single units of deathkoptas, upgrade them for free to mekboys, and give them tankbusta bombs. You should always have 1 of these in every list.

Don't forget the fighta bomber raid, if it hits a unit that dead guardsman, if it hits a vehicle, then the vehicle is stunned and he can't shoot you! The beuaty is you always get to roll for it, and even if you hit 1 unit or stun 1 vehicle its a big difference.

Play like an ork with brutality but use a little cunning and your golden. And if you have bikes and get first turn get in combat!

·
706 Posts
do what i do, throw lots of grots at the problem! :D but seriously, just get up close and personal really quickly and he wont stand a chance, tank or not, he cant shoot his own units. or better yet, you could play a capture and hold scenario, so he cant win no matter what, unless he moves out! :tongue:

·
Registered
622 Posts
KoS can be a really good idea against shooty armies- if you can get a 1st or 2nd turn charge then you're laughing. Once you've delivered your payload of boyz, work on tankshocking the guardsmen- they may pass the test easily, but that way you can force them out of close order drill.

A deathkopta with super stikkbombz can easily take out any tank, and as long as you keep it out of LoS until you can get there. It moves like a jetbike, right? That means that you can fly over enemy troops to get it to the tank.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Yep the Deathkopters are excellent since you can fly around troops (you can not move over enemy troops at all in 40K) What i usually do is turbo boast first turn behind terrain that blocks LOS. then pop out 2nd turn and try to get in position to shoot the rear armor. All guard tanks are amor 10 in the rear. Otherwise just charge the side armor, if the guard player doesn't move his tanks during his turn it just makes your life that much easier. Tankbusta or superstick bombs are wonderful vs guard tanks.

·
Registered
255 Posts
'Umie tanks arent as killer as you might think. Sure, the template is very nasty. But keep your boyz spread out, and do your best to stun/kill them as much as possible, and you'll do fine. Thing is, the actual guardsmen themselves are an ork's best friend; weak weapons, (We actually get an armour save!) and mass numbers which we love to chew through. The minimum cost guard army is very high, thanks to the platoons, and unless he's being beardy and using minimum men, you should do fine. In fact, even if he is, he's spending lots of points on very few guns. Just use some speed.

Top tip: Take grots. They look so infinitely tempting for a guardsmen tank, and provide a very valuable cover save against massed fire to the boys. Plus, they can almost hold their own against a guardsman in H2H!

·
Registered
943 Posts
I might be of assisstance. My first battle agaist I.G. was against a no tank army but he had about 80 guardsmen in about 1K. I edged him out with victory points by having cannons take the center. Since then I have wiped them out in at most 5 turns. However, I play bad moons so I take flash git squads with more dakka and 5 big shootas against them, for me, they wipe out a squad per turn. also like everyonr said, throw grots at him, guard have problems dealing with them with their low ld. and weak combat ability, if you take any cc squads put 3 bs in each, 2 squads of 3 zzap guns, and of copurse a couple of buggies with skorchas, when I take them they kill a squad 2nd turn, hey 1 squad and they make their 45 points back. Good luck.,

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i played my guard friend today whos birthday was yesterday so he got his stuff, i annihilated him. I only lost 10 orks(they lost in assault with guard, heh) and the armor plates stopped a lascannon! I exploded his leman russ using a power klaw and a rokkit blew his chimera sky high! The leman russ scattered most of the time, well so did my looted one but..anyway i didnt even lose 100 points of orks and slaughtered him down to the man.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Kos has a nice advantage at 1000 pts, i've always thought. orks are dirt cheap and the list is a really offensive one. course will a little luck our boys are running for the table edge. good win

·
Registered
5 Posts
Before I stoped playing guard(Lots of mortars and 3 baskalisks) I most feered someone who dared move foward. Don't flank or use cover(not counting grots) Becuse the gaurd posses many inderict wepons. Also keep your men in large circles 2in appart at all times so a template can only kill 4 men at a time.

Templates scatter.

your used to not geting saves so why are you woried about a big high Ap template when you'll useally not get a save.

·
Registered
622 Posts
MouseC112 said:
Yep the Deathkopters are excellent since you can fly around troops (you can not move over enemy troops at all in 40K) What i usually do is turbo boast first turn behind terrain that blocks LOS. then pop out 2nd turn and try to get in position to shoot the rear armor. All guard tanks are amor 10 in the rear. Otherwise just charge the side armor, if the guard player doesn't move his tanks during his turn it just makes your life that much easier. Tankbusta or superstick bombs are wonderful vs guard tanks.
p54 of the BGB: Jetbikes: 'Jetbikes may move over enemy and friendly units.'

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i play a KOS so nothing that moves less then 12 a turn cannot be used. But i was thinking of trying a Blood Axe varient for fun to play against my black templar/imperal guard friend (he is talked about in the other thread i have going about black templars consintily crushing my waaagh) Two units of 15 man strong kommandos might help, distract the enemy so they have more targets to shoot at then guns they have, i like it :yes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts