Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading the unique armies in the Guard section in Games Workshop site when I found the Imperial Guard Gue'la. I was going to use these guys during the Black Crusade, I have many Guard and I was thinging of doing some fluff around them. I got confused though on what units I can put in this army. In the section it says Gue'la have limited access to Tau technology but still have Tau equipment but what do they get? Also it says I can modify a Sentinel with Battlesuit blitz so can I use other Imperial armor, like tanks? Finally can I still put heavy and special weapons in a squad? If anyone can figure this out I would appreciate it. I posted this here because I am not sure If I will become a Tau or Guard player.
;)
http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/imperialguard/gaming/doctrines/unorthodox.htm

Moose

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Well, as far as I know the only 'legal' unit of guard for the Tau to use is the troop squad one where essentially you get....

6-12 guardsmen armed with lasguns. Options to upgrade 2 to pulse carbines or rifles, upgrade 1 to a leader with better LD, and the option to take a markerlight.

About the only useful thing I've found about these guys is that they can take EMP grenades, and are much cheaper in points than Fire Warriors. So you can take say 10, give them EMP grenades and send them running out to blow up tanks and get killed.

About the best thing about them that I can say is that they tend to get ignored so they may accomplish their mission for that reason alone.

As for the gue'la army, basically its just an IG army with doctrines chosen to represent what a Tau organized Ig unit might be. While I suppose it offers a wealth of conversion option, you don't get to use any actual tau rules or weaponry in it. Oh, I suppose you could use different models to represent it, but you'd be using the IG codex.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thx, I thought it was something like that but I was just hopeing that when it some Tau weponary could be used where it said they have a limited supply of Tau techology. At least I can still use my SQUAD WEAPONS and BIG TANKS.

·
Registered
21 Posts
you could try putting some kroot in there from the kroot merc list as allies sent from the empire, imperial guard are able to take them as auxiliaries.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I thought guela was the term used for advanced human fighters ( SM)

·
Registered
274 Posts
actually not, in the codex, at page 57 you have some words from the Tau language, among these, gue'la, which (according to the page) means human in Tau... and as 'la is the lowest rank for anything, IIRC, they would be the lowest rank humans... or it might be that Human is low per definition, oh, the speculation:shifty:

·
Always Fabulous
1,742 Posts
Gue'la is a generic term for humans. I doubt the Tau distinguish between an Imperial Guardsman and a Space Marine as Humanity is not yet part of the Empire. Once they do become part of the Tau Empire (yeah, right) they will start assigning gue'ui, gue'vre, gue'el and so on. However, it just doesn't roll off the tongue right. Gue'la just sounds better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts