Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in the Tau section not to long ago and there they talked about a preview of the new tau codex. One of their weapons had a guess range which led a discussioin between some people about that guess range weapons no longer have to guess? Whats up with that? Can I get the for true rules for guess range 4th edition? Thanks all.

·
Registered
355 Posts
In 4th edition "guess" range weapons are now called "barrage" weapons. The rules for these are found on p.31 of the BBB. You no longer guess the range as in 3rd edition. You can fire these weapons whenever you want to during your shooting phase now. A lot of people still call them "guess" weapons and there is still a "G" before the range in the weapon description.

·
Registered
393 Posts
But what he is saying is that the new tau codex (by people who have read it) say there is a guess range weapon. This is a codex that comes AFTER the BBB. Still surprised on what I am hearing. We will see when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Well, if the new codex doesn't explain what it means by "guess", it's probably safe to assume that it's a barrage weapon (and that GW is in need of new editors).

·
No Rest For the Righteous
1,140 Posts
People always seem to forget that although you don't Guess the range of the target, you still Guess whether its in range or not. In that respect it could still be called a Guess range weapon. Under the barrage rules, you declare a target before measuring range(like all shooting), and if the hole of the template isn't within the max range of the weapon, it misses automatically. More than that though the G serves to signify a barrage weapon and reminds you that they ignore line of sight with a max range of the number shown.

Remember that it's more sportsmanlike to fire Guess range weapons first since firing other weapons can make it easier to judge the relative range of units. The G on the weapon could serve as a reminder for that too.

Reactions: Lleu

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
It's the same as any other weapon, though. With every other weapon you declare your intention to fire before measuring to see if it's actually in range, making the matter no less of a guess than barrage weapons.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think he measn that you should fire the barrage weapons before firing anything else since you could have a couple of guys firing lasguns at the same target/one next to it, to make sure you had the range right.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Once again, I don't see how that's any different than other weapons, though. For example: fire a Tac Squad's Lascannon at a target to make sure it's in range before commiting a full Dev Squad to the same target. In the old rules it made sense to shoot guess weapons first since the shot fell at the range you guessed. Simply having to drop the shot within the range of a barrage weapon is nothing different than choosing a target within range for normal weapons.

·
301 Posts
Ostsol said:
Once again, I don't see how that's any different than other weapons, though. For example: fire a Tac Squad's Lascannon at a target to make sure it's in range before commiting a full Dev Squad to the same target. In the old rules it made sense to shoot guess weapons first since the shot fell at the range you guessed. Simply having to drop the shot within the range of a barrage weapon is nothing different than choosing a target within range for normal weapons.
In all fairness, you must also keep in mind that there is a minimum range when fireing as a barage weapon as well. Obviously it dosn't take a whole lot of talent to pick a squad on the table within the maximum without measuring, measuring for other shots first can give you an advantage to figuring out whats fatrther then the minimum.

But I agree, other then the minimum range aspect, there is no diffrence between fireing normal weaponry and barrage.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Daedelus said:
In all fairness, you must also keep in mind that there is a minimum range when fireing as a barage weapon as well. Obviously it dosn't take a whole lot of talent to pick a squad on the table within the maximum without measuring, measuring for other shots first can give you an advantage to figuring out whats fatrther then the minimum.

But I agree, other then the minimum range aspect, there is no diffrence between fireing normal weaponry and barrage.

There are no such rules as min range for barrage. Check p 31 of the bgb. Now, that said, some weapons that may be barrage may have min ranges, but it's not applicable to all barrage weapons.

·
No Rest For the Righteous
1,140 Posts
But if there are barrage weapons with a minimum, then of course there are rules for minimum range barrage weapons: those weapons. In the case where they dont have a minimum range listed, you could say their minimum range is 0(no minimum range). No one even said the minimum range applied to all barrage weapons, and Tarzen is right, it doesnt, so there should be no confusion there. But it's beside the point.

In the upcoming Tau codex, if there is a guess range weapon, chances are they mean a G-range- weapon, which signifies a barrage weapon. If they meant a weapon where you actually guess the range to the target, then it should be called "that weapon with the special rule where you guess", not a guess range or barrage weapon. It could lead to confusion where players start to associate G weapons with the special one's rules.

I can't really see the Tau having such a weapon though... aren't they supposed to have advanced targeting technology and be past guessing ranges like the Iron Age of Warhammer fantasy?:hmm:

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Ebon Hand said:
But if there are barrage weapons with a minimum, then of course there are rules for minimum range barrage weapons: those weapons. In the case where they dont have a minimum range listed, you could say their minimum range is 0(no minimum range). No one even said the minimum range applied to all barrage weapons, and Tarzen is right, it doesnt, so there should be no confusion there. But it's beside the point.
nah, thinking that all CCW's strike at init 1 because one has that rule is just silly. Rules go general to specific, not the otherway. But glad you understand the difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts