Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend basically won a fight because my pegasus knights (4) couldnt beat their way through his crew in less than 3 rounds and that stupid stubbornness really began to seem overpowered. Although I get it its still a little excessive imo like they just starting slinging out rules like that all of a sudden. They are dwarves .. ok i'm just steaming after losing the fight. That and he somehow had a +3 combat resolution from his banners in a single unit for the fight and all I could do was roll with the punches.

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
So.. it is overpowered because you could not defeat them? I see.

The rule reflects the dwarf fluff well, and makes dwarf war machines that bit less vunerable to war machine hunters with is a good thing. How many times has a dwarf crew been slain because they lost a single wound? Too often. You must also remember this is the first new book, the rest will soon begin to be brought inline with the dwarfs - then we can all complain about how badly this unit has this rule or that rule.

Dwarfs of course are allowed this, we do have the grumblers rule. ;)

KU

·
Registered
925 Posts
KU is 100% right. I bet you rolled badly. Statistically, 4 pegasus knights will kill all 3 crew of a warmachine. You lost, so you make a thread and whine about it.
IMO it reflects Dwarf fluff PERFECTLY.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Domstrae said:
My friend basically won a fight because my pegasus knights (4) couldnt beat their way through his crew in less than 3 rounds and that stupid stubbornness really began to seem overpowered.
Sounds more like you just rolled really badly. It happens.

That and he somehow had a +3 combat resolution from his banners in a single unit for the fight and all I could do was roll with the punches.
Battle standard with a master rune of Stromni Redbeard would give +3 to resolution.

·
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ooooooooook we got some up tight people in here. No this isnt a whinning thread. I'm not going to whine about a game between my best friend and I that we had during a weekend in our workshop while sharing a few brews. Not to mention I was the one who bought him the book for christmas. It was just that something like this stuck out like a sore thumb that I bring it up. Maybe they were too hastey to give so many blanket upgrades without looking for middle ground. I think it would have been much much much much more appropriate if gunners pride had allowed you to reroll breaktests instead.

·
Registered
925 Posts
You also complain about a +3 cr banner. Bretonnians have had that since there new army book.
Virtue of duty+warbanner = +3.

·
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bonjordo said:
You also complain about a +3 cr banner. Bretonnians have had that since there new army book.
Virtue of duty+warbanner = +3.
Oooooook that was more to explain the difficult situation I was in , that in conjunction with not having my pegasus knights to rear attack was costing me the game. The problem is I hadnt played the new dwarfs so I flipped a coin to decide if I would go super heavy on magic or none at all. I ended up taking a Prophetess so when I got up in the scrap with his elite unit there was nothing I could do when hes lord kept challenging. Anyways I'll stop posting in the dwarf section too little focus on my point too much on turing me into a whiner. Have a good day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
King Ulrik Flamebeard said:
You must also remember this is the first new book, the rest will soon begin to be brought inline with the dwarfs
Wait, can someone clarify this?

Dwarf book is the first book in the new generation of codexes, and the new books for other armies may have new rules added as well.

Is that what you're saying?

Because I saw the Gunner's Pride thing on the GW site and I thought it was awesome. I hope it won't be revoked or anything, will it?

·
Registered
39 Posts
A Dwarven war machine is usually hundreds of years older than the crew manning it. Most of them are even enscribed with with powerful runes that take months or even years of work to create. A relic such as this would not be something that a Dwarf would abandon at the first sight of trouble.

40k has a real bad problem with matching the game mechanics to the storyline, but WHFB typically does a very nice job of giving an army rules that match the character of the stories. The only time that I can remember GW destroying a storyline, was when they decided to seperate the Undead into Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings.

Worlds Collide

·
Keeper of Records and Ale
10,982 Posts
Wait, can someone clarify this?

Dwarf book is the first book in the new generation of codexes, and the new books for other armies may have new rules added as well.

Is that what you're saying?

Because I saw the Gunner's Pride thing on the GW site and I thought it was awesome. I hope it won't be revoked or anything, will it?
Yes, the dwarf book is the first to be revised there are many more to come. It has been said that all the new books will work much better when the new main game rules are reworked for edition 6.5/7.

Worlds Collide - Hmm.. I am not sure with the Vampires and Khemri, previously in fifth edition the Tomb Kings hated Nagash - so why were there mummies fighting for him? All the Vampires fled or were killed, they right royally pissed him off - so why continue to fight for him? I like the split, it does admittedly leave some parts in limbo - the undead Nagash can control and such - but overall I believe it has been a good thing.

But the dwarf forum is not the place for said discussion ;)

KU

·
Registered
20 Posts
they always had the best crewman with their high thoughness and high leadership and now they have their stubbornnes I really love them now,and the warmachines themselves have become cheaper.but it's not that they have become immortal or something like that.normally when you charge you know what your chanches are of winning the combat.
greetz

·
Registered
947 Posts
Did the stats. If you manage a Gallant and two Knights inyo base contact, you should've killed the Dwarves in two rounds tops (and that's with below-average rolling. With average rolls, they're dead in one turn)

So, the OP just rolled pretty badly.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Cairocopter said:
Gunners pride can really prove a disadvantage if you are charged by a bloodthirster, for example. In this situation, it would be prudent to flee from monsters.
I'm not sure I understand how fleeing from your war machine would be prudent, even if you are charged by a Bloodthirster. Sure, you have horrendously low odds of winning but if you flee you give your opponent victory points anyway.

·
Registered
444 Posts
zuz said:
I'm not sure I understand how fleeing from your war machine would be prudent, even if you are charged by a Bloodthirster. Sure, you have horrendously low odds of winning but if you flee you give your opponent victory points anyway.
I suppose. I don't usually play with victory points, I play deathmatch.

If your crew run away, you can occupy another war machine and harass the unit that charged the original one, or open an ambush of thunderers for example.

It all requires tactics.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thunderer said:
Actually I think you only give him points if he spikes the machine or kills off the entire crew. just because you fled doesn't mean you can't rally and get back to the machine in 1-2 turns.
That's what I thought originally... I'm not sure. I think it is prudent to flee from a war machine if you are charged by a bloodthirster, they're gonna die anyway.

Also it recommends fleeing in WD313.

I'm not so good with rules, haven't played in a long time so help would be appreciated.:yes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts