Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past two games that my best friend and I have played, me Tau him Necrons, my Pathfinders have completely demolished his Destroyers on their first try. Once with an exact amount of wounds needed and the other with a surplus of wounds. Very proud if you ask me.

However, I have a problem. I can't seem to help them survive long enough. I think it's due to the fact that I Deep Strike them right next to his Destroyers and in turn they are in wide open ground for his two units of Warriors to shoot at them.

I was thinking of first outflanking with my Kroot to tie up his Warriors then Deep Striking my Pathfinders in their Devilfish to shoot his Destroyers.

What say you?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm not quite sure what exactly you are doing with your Pathfinders.

For one they cannot Deep Strike, neither they nor the Devilfish have the Deep Strike USR. They do have the Scout USR and so can Outflank if that's what you mean.

Secondly, how do you equip them? Pathfinders are primarily a support unit, they are intended to sit back and use their markerlights to mark targets for other units. They can take Rail Rifles trading some of their support role for increased offense but again this favours sitting back in cover.

Pathfinders also tend to be fire magnets as they have the ability to improve the entire army so many opponents tend to focus on removing them as soon as possible, hence why they belong in cover not running around.

·
655 Posts
However, I have a problem. I can't seem to help them survive long enough. I think it's due to the fact that I Deep Strike them right next to his Destroyers and in turn they are in wide open ground for his two units of Warriors to shoot at them.
???

Are we playing with the same pathfinders? Maybe it's because I play a Farsight Enclave, and my pathfinders don't have the newest & best equipment, but I'm pretty sure my pathfinders can't deep strike.

As far as keeping them alive: you can't really. Mine usually live 2 rounds at most, and then run or die off. They tend to be the very first target that my opponent goes for (especially if I have a lot of seekers and only a few markerlights). If you want them to stay alive, stick them in cover and hold on tight. For added survivability, you can potentially make one a Shas'ui, and give them a bonding knife and even 2 shield drones if you really want to. However, that's a lot of points that could most likely be spent elsewhere in the list.

Just my opinion.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Devilfish can Deep Strike. Any unit within a vehicle that can Deep Strike is allowed to Deep Strike with the vehicle. That's how I Deep Strike.

One question,

Scenario:
I shoot with my Pathfinders, they markerlight 3 times. I have a SINGLE Seeker Missile on my Devilfish.

Can I shoot all three markerlights or do I only get to shoot a Seeker Missile once per shooting phase?

Explain to me how Seeker Missiles work basically is what I'm asking.

·
Supreme Evil Overlord
4,873 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't markerlights classed as heavy weapons, therefor unable to fire if you move which includes deepstrike, btw if you want to deepstrike them they have to be inside the vehicle, they can't on their own.
Disembarking is also moving.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't markerlights classed as heavy weapons, therefor unable to fire if you move which includes deepstrike, btw if you want to deepstrike them they have to be inside the vehicle, they can't on their own.
Disembarking is also moving.
Read their equipment. They have Pulse Carbines with Markerlights. Pulse Carbines are Assault 1.

·
Supreme Evil Overlord
4,873 Posts
True, but the pulse carabine has no bearing on the marketlight, it does have it's own rules I believe.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
The Devilfish can Deep Strike.
Um ... no. Devilfish can NOT deep strike. Please quote the rule and provide a reference.

But even if it could, Dreachon correctly notes that any movement by the unit -- including deep striking -- would prevent you from firing markerlights because markerlights are Heavy weapons and Pathfinders are not Relentless.
Killjaqular said:
I shoot with my Pathfinders, they markerlight 3 times. I have a SINGLE Seeker Missile on my Devilfish.

Can I shoot all three markerlights or do I only get to shoot a Seeker Missile once per shooting phase?

Explain to me how Seeker Missiles work basically is what I'm asking.
Seeker missiles depend entirely on markerlight tokens.

Step 1: Fire markerlights at a target. Drop a token near the target unit for every markerlight that "hits".

Step 2: Expend markerlight tokens one at a time.

As the Tau codex notes, you can expend one ML token to fire a single Seeker missile at that target (which hits it on a die roll of 2+).

So in your scenario, you have 3 ML tokens to spend. You may spend 1 of them to fire the seeker missile off your Devilfish. You still have 2 ML tokens left if your target survives. Maybe you want to spend those 2 tokens to reduce the cover save of your target from 4+ to 6+ (example).

Reactions: Killjaqular

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for clearing up the Seeker Missile question.

You are correct, you cannot Deep Strike a Devilfish.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
A seeker missile is also a one time weapon - once it is fired thats it - it is gone for the rest of the game - which is why you can field lots of them as each one can only be used once

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ithought all devilfish came with landing gear which does allow them to deepstrike if the mission allows it

·
Registered
261 Posts
Landing Gear allows them to do one thing: land. The rules are on page 30 of the codex and states that in a turn in which the Devilfish/Hammerhead/Sky Ray does not move you can treat it as a non-Skimmer vehicle. This ends when you move the vehicle. They do not allow you to Deep Strike.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mistakes, it's how we all learn. :D
----------
A seeker missile is also a one time weapon - once it is fired thats it - it is gone for the rest of the game - which is why you can field lots of them as each one can only be used once
But it was previously stated in this thread that you can fire the Seeker Missile for as many markerlight hits as you have.

Further clarification would be much appreciated.

·
779 Posts
But it was previously stated in this thread that you can fire the Seeker Missile for as many markerlight hits as you have.

Further clarification would be much appreciated.

Page 31 of the codex, top left hand corner, first paragraph:

"Up to two seeker missiles may be fitted to a single vehicle, and one or both launched in a single turn, each using different markerlight hits. Each is a single shot weapon"
I am going to repeat what others have said. Having the codex and reading it thoroughly really helps a lot. If you don't have the dex, get some cash together and pick it up. It's the most important buy. If you do, take a couple of hours and read through the rules 3 or 4 times. It will make life a whole bunch easier.

Hope that helps.

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.