Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm facing difficulties building an all taker IG list for the following reason:
The guards is basically a big number of small disposable units. it works pretty well except in one case: annihilation games.
Let's say I'm playing against a typicall space marine army, I will easilly have twice as much unit, and even if I almost wipe the guys of the table, he will in average kill twice as much unit as I do.

I'd be interrested to read your opinions about that.
Tnx
Brunal

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
You have more units that him, so you can concentrate your efforts better. He can only destroy so many units at a time, even less if he plays to minimize KPs. Use that to your advantage, focus fire, force him to deal with fresh units while weakened ones mount up or hide, and use your superior mobility, firepower, and numbers to win.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
With the large numbers of cheap/fragile transports being taken by most armies, I haven't had trouble with kill point missions. Marines are particularly easy since they lose their combat squad advantage and rely too much on landspeeders. What sort of Marine lists do you face, and do you generally win against them in non-annihilation games?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well I've played nides, white scar marines (plenty of bikes and speeder ) and wich hunters
I do join my plattons when facing an annihilation game, but I still have plenty of units that are fun to play but die easily (Marbo, special weapon squads, chimelta).
Maybe its my tactic which needs improvement, but I tend to loos quite some of them, I often kill more points that I loose, but you just count the dead units...
my list is fairly standard and it does honestly in objective type games.
by the way, thank you for the advises given so far, I'm sure you guessed I'm not a vet player!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, if you find you're losing units regardless of what you do, try being more picky in what attacks you go for. Don't march your chimelta up the centre of the board and expect it to live. Marbo is survivable as you don't use him for the famous suicide drop tactic (I love using him for that).

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Marbo is survivable as you don't use him for the famous suicide drop tactic (I love using him for that).
Nah, he's still a GEQ no matter how loaded he is with special rules and equipment.

Brunal, you may have an easier time with Witch Hunters if you prioritize their transports right off (if you don't already). Footslogging flamers is a slow advance. Tyranids I can't say right now with their new Codex. Bike armies are hard with their high toughness; I just played such a list in last weekend's tournament and lost, myself.

I often kill more points that I lose, but you just count the dead units...
Hmm. Do you have trouble killing the last model or two of enemy squads? In KP games those lone survivors are most frustrating; half of my love for Pask-in-an-Exterminator is that he's a great finisher of infantry units. (I mostly bring ordnance units but those big templates are wasted on single models.) A 'final solution' unit of some sort might be worth considering for your next annihilation.

·
2,399 Posts
Yep, Marbo's dead in any game. His Demo charge should normally get one back though. (and he's a distraction)
I use a mix of vets and a huge Platoon (5 units, one comissar. normally 2x units will merge with the commissar, the others stick around with autocannons waiting for orders, but merge them all in kill point games. do not underestimate 48 models with - being charged - 64 attacks (and stubborn LD9), or with first rank, second rank 122 shots (gr.launchers/meltas x5 included). die terminators!)
My vets are mounted in valks/vendettas, and if it's taken out can normally hide / score one back against anything close.
So a PCS x2, Sly, 3x valks, 3x vets, PCS, 5x squads (combined) and Psyker Battle Squad (in chimera) comes to 13 kill points, not god awful for a 1750 army. you also have a helping hand with get back in the fight, as even routed units under half strength can be bought back, saving you a kill point.
Prioritise targets. That's fast units that'll kill you, (transports are inthat list), easy points, and offensive units. A whirlwind is a prize target for sly, and break the bigger units with small fire and a PBS.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you guys for all the ideas. I realized I might not use the fireporwer to it proper potential, for example I always use ordnance on big unit to optimize the large blast, but I may tend to forget to finish of wounded units that are no longuer a threat.
anyway, that's a lot to think about and tryout in my next games!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
That's the biggest lesson to learn in KP missions. Finish off complete squads before you start shooting up another.

You should have around 14-15 KP, on average, at 1500 pts. Unless you've got drastically more than that, your problem is with your tactics, not your list.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts