Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I played my first game of 8th Edition on Friday against a very good player, Jeff (quite better than me actually), We had a 2,000 point battle and he ran his Blood Angels.

I killed Dante, Mephiston, that Librarian Dreadnought, an Imperial Knight, a Predator and a squad of Scout Snipers. I reduced his Land Raider to 1 wound.

I lost a Dominion Squad.

Granted two of my Exorcists were beat up and I had a lone Seraphim zipping around but my oh my. Repentia killed that Dreadnought. Celestine killed Mephiston and put the last 4 wounds on the Knight. Seraphim and Heavy Bolter retributors killed Dante. Retributor Multi Meltas hammered the Predator and Seraphim finished it off.

When we called the game he had his 1 wound Land Raider, a Banner Bearer, 4 tough Jump infantry (can't recall their name) and two Scout Sniper Squads.

At the end I had Celestine, 5 Repentia, the remnants of 2 Seraphim Squads, a Heavy Bolter and a Multi Melta Retributor Squads fully functional, three Immolators (one each Multimelta, Heavy Bolter and Heavy Flamer), 3 Imagnifers, 1 Hospitaller, Mistress of Repentence and 2 of my starting 4 command points.

Granted 8th is new to us, and we both had the books open for reference at the FLGS, and as we all get better at 8th my Sisters may be in for a drubbing, but wow, just wow. I am enjoying tis triumph while I can :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Always good to hear of Bangels getting a good beatdown. Sounds like more troops will be more necessary to stop squads focus firing characters now. I'm surprised to hear that the knight didn't do more damage.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Congrats on the win man!

Whilst characters get a buff in durability (more wounds) they aren't as killy as they once were. No more Ap2/3 really makes armoured troops more durable so sisters can take a beating. You also need to be str6 to wound them on 2's now (str5 wounds T3 on 3's) so that helps as well.

Characters are tougher but they just don't pack the punch they once did. You're better off with more troops/tanks. Well, that's what I found anyway :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I really like how many more characters fulfil a force multiplier role rather than a combat one. I feel like purely or even mostly combat-based characters will rarely make their value back in this edition. There is some good synergy to be found with characters though, so I wouldn't completely sell them short. Being a filthy heretic, chaos sorcerers come to mind with the power that gives a free move, which if it works pretty much guarantees a turn 1 charge from deep strikers.

·
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Blood Angels player wanted a rematch. The results were that he killed more of my army than I did of his, but I eked out win on Objectives by 1 point. Two things I learned in the game:

-I brought a Penitent Engine squad. PE's are insanely deadly now.

-My Seraphim Squads each took 2 inferno pistol armed models. One squad, in a single shooting phase and with no help from Acts of Faith, took a Stormraven from full health to dead. I had to get insanely close for the melta effect to work for the inferno pistols, but it was worth it. :)

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Aye, Inferno pistols are SCARY. Now that you can fire pistols in combat you can take people out in combat before they even get to strike.

I've not really had much of a read through the sisters section yet but it was nice to see things like Priests get a little boost. the 'lighter' walkers have really benefited from the whole Toughness and wounds thing. Sentinels have become a lot tougher now as well, even if they can be wounded on 5's by pretty much everything.

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts
Awesome to hear about Sisters getting some love. I'm really curious to know how their special army rules are playing out these days. Do they still have a Faith mechanic? What's it like? I was a big fan of the old 3rd Ed faith and fingers crossed it's similar to that.

Other, probably unrelated, question is: how are Sisters of Silence and how do they fit into the Sisters of Battle paradigm?

·
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Awesome to hear about Sisters getting some love. I'm really curious to know how their special army rules are playing out these days. Do they still have a Faith mechanic? What's it like? I was a big fan of the old 3rd Ed faith and fingers crossed it's similar to that.

Other, probably unrelated, question is: how are Sisters of Silence and how do they fit into the Sisters of Battle paradigm?
About Sisters of Silence I have no idea: I don't own any and have never played them. All I do know is that the Sisters of Silence do not belong to the Adeptus Ministorum as the Sisters of Battle do.

I like the Faith mechanic: its fairly straightforward and USEFUL! There are four options which may be used on any unit with the Acts of Faith ability, which all occur at the beginning of your turn prior to Movement: free move , free shooting round, free heal/ restore a 1 wound model to life, or free melee attack. All Adeptus Ministorum armies receive one Act per turn, successful on 2+, anywhere on the board. Imagnifers can grant an additional Act per turn, range 6", on a 4+. Saint Celestine can grant one, range 6", automatic success. So if your Army has Saint Celestine and 3 Imagnifers you have access to 5 Acts of Faith each turn.

In 3rd Edition I could sometimes get my total Act of Faith points up to 11. In 8th edition, with the above 3 Imagnifers and Celestine, if the game lasts 3 turns I will have 12, so I think overall its much better.

·
Registered
423 Posts
And you all have me to thank for this. I held faith with the sisters for many years (see about 15) before relenting, giving in and selling my force just before 8th hit. They'd been shelved due to a poor showing in 7th with that shitty SHITTY digital codex so I figured time to move them on.

Then 8th hits and I regret it. Gw loves to screw me :p

·
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am 4 wins, 2 losses thus far in 8th with my Sisters. Wins were vs Blood Angels twice, Tau, and Nurgle Chaos Marines. Losses were both against Blood Angels. I played my first game in the world-wide Fate of Konor campaign today and that was my win against Nurgle, scoring 4 to 2.

A few moments of note thus far for 8th:

-A squad of Seraphim shot down a full health Stormraven in a single shooting phase (got within 3 inches and 2 sisters were packing double inferno pistols)

-Celestine killed Lord Typhon in two rounds of melee combat

-Repentia (Repentia!) took out a Space Marine Scout Squad (snipers) and then carged an Imperial Knight destroying it by taking out it last 4 wounds.

-Penitent Engines took out a Librarian Dreadnought and Mephiston (PEs are really good)

-A Basic Troop squad of 5 sisters with Heavy Flamer and melta gun killed one of those new Primaris jump pack squads

So all in all I do like the Army. It still has major weaknesses (T3 !) and a limited Armory but it works.The only Unit I just don't see me taking is a Celestian squad, unless I come up with absolutely needing to protect a Canoness and don't need the points elsewhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts