Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I like the sponson heavy bolters, they're cheap and you can fire them if the HF's out of range or if you stay still for a turn. Besides HF sponsons are a waste, 9 times out of 10 you'll hit at least as many models with 1 well placed flame template as you will with 3 you can't move, the enemy willbe more than 6" away if they were too far to assault. Besides moving (and therefore only firing 1 sponson) willhelp you out if they decide to launch an assault --which they probobly will if you have the opportunity to flame them.

So hull HF and other weapons for the sponsons.

The Emperor Protects

·
Registered
759 Posts
I agree with Kevin. You've got to remain stationary to fire both heavy flamers, so heavy bolters are a cheap, reliable option. PLasma cannons are very cool, but I prefer to use them with Executioners. Mutilmeltas are also strong, but with BS3 you won't get much out of them. On the subject of 'naked' demolishers, mobility and short ranged cannons, the average board is 48" in diametre. With a 12" deployment, you should normally be in range by turn 2 at least. Sometimes turn 1 if you're facing a combat army like orks or tryanids. If you have the problem of fast armies that stay out of range, then go for a different tank.

Anyway, I've rambled on enough.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I go with either no sponsons, or plasma cannon sponsons.

No sponsons keep it cheap and plasma cannons complement the anti-heavy infantry role of the main demolisher cannon as well as keeping the tank relevant after it suffers a weapon destroyed result.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
Neither. A stationary tank is a dead tank.
Other than perhaps turn one, this is great advice, especially for a Demolisher. If you want sponsons, put them on a regular Russ or Executioner.
I prefer a hull Lascannon and no sponsons. The Lascannon goes with the AP and Strength of the Demolisher cannon, so can be usefull at taking out tanks and Monstous Creatures. Also, if the Demolisher Cannon get destroyed, you still have a nice gun.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Demolishers are used to destroy hard targets, which means heavy bolters and flamers won't combine well with the main gun. I had some good luck with multimelta sponsons, however. They made the risk of holding still at least worthwhile whenever there was a juicy target within range.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Demolishers are used to destroy hard targets, which means heavy bolters and flamers won't combine well with the main gun. I had some good luck with multimelta sponsons, however. They made the risk of holding still at least worthwhile whenever there was a juicy target within range.
I'm with you here. The only possible objection here is points cost, but yeah. Demos are made to mess up the hardest targets your enemy has, so bolters and flamers put it in the awkward position of not being able to focus.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.