Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there fellow gamers.

To kick-start my contributions in the form of pics to LO, I've decided to share with you my current project. I already have a large army of Cadians (more than 3000 points) but I felt like something a little bit different. I really like guard armies, particularly for their conversion potential, and the way in which they play. However, my last army was infantry based, with tank support. So, for this army, I will be heading into the mechanised section.

Why pick Steel Legion? Well, to be honest, they look awesome. But I didn't feel like forking out for the metal ones that GW does, so I decided to have a go at building my own, using the plastic Cadians as a basis (by the way, my thanks go to Brother Argos for giving me the idea and inspiration). I'll try to get some pics up tonight, but my camera is currently charging.

So, hopefully that has wetted your appetite. As the saying goes, watch this space:)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, things have moved a lot more quickly than I expected. So, here are a few shots of my 'counts-as' chimera.

I know it's not very neat in places, and I am in the process of tidying it up.

So, how did I build it.

I followed the basic steps from an old issue of Whtie Dwarf, taking the main parts of a Leman Russ hull, with additional parts at the front, from a chimera. The wheels I picked up from a store close to me, but I had to make my own hubcaps out of green stuff. Mudguards came from the tank accessories sprue, with some extra details from my bitz-box.

As I previously mentioned, I am counting it as a chimera. You can see that it is a similar size. However, if it's small 'hold' is a problem for people, it is going to be for my command squad, so only a few men will be in it.

Anyway, I hope you like it, and do feel free to give me any pointers.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for all the replys guys, it means a lot to me, and is very encouraging.

@Andusciassus
Hmmm, Wolverine. Interesting name. Thanks for the idea, I will put it into consideration.

@Lord Borak.
Thanks for the advice. Rivets would be a good idea, and I'll get working on them as soon as I can.

Right then, time for some updates. Here are some pictures of my Commander. Parts such as the long trench coat, helmet, mask and shoulder pads were all sculpted from greenstuff. He's been my first major scratch-building project, and I'm pretty pleased with the result.

I apologise for the painting. I suppose it's passable, but it isn't my best. I'll have to start another thread for models that i've really taken my time on, and not just painted to my basic standard.

Do please feel free to criticise and comment.

·
Egg Head Miniatures:fbook
1,900 Posts
Good looking Chimers conversion. Puts me in mind of some of the 'PIG' armoured cars used in Northern Ireland by the British.

One observation. It's size is notably smaller than a standard Chimera which would give you an advantage re: LOS. Smaller profile makes it harder to see. Might be an idea to get the 'footprint' of the vehicle to be the same as the GW one.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Justice
You are of course correct, but the size difference isn't huge, so shouldn't give me a massive advantage. As long as my opponent is ok about it (which they generally are) then I should be able to use it. In fact, my armoured car is actually slightly taller, so it balances out fairly well. Thanks for the comment.

Right, time for some more updates. You may be wondering about how I am moving so quickly, but the answer is that I started this project a little while ago, and have only just got around to uploading pictures.

Anyway, I finished this guy the other day, and he is a medic for my command squad. For now, he is 'in the green'. I'm even more pleased with him than my commander.

I'm really happy with how all the little details turned out, although these pictures really make any mistakes stand out a mile. Keep the comments coming guys.

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
Oh, cheers Chad, but the name isn't really my idea:)
Kevan Downey made something similar a few years back and named it Wolverine LINK
I think your Commander looks good, the only thing I find a bit off is the left arm. It seems a bit wide, try to make them thinner and I think it'll look even better the next time:)
The details you 've done are really nice and deserve a fair bit of rep.
Here goes.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gah, you just missed my last post. Oh well, thank you very much for the rep, that is a major encouragment:D

My next little project for the Steel Legion will be a vox-operator. I'll be starting work tomorrow, with any luck.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Chad my man. I'm rather impressed by your sculpting there. The Gas mask on the Medic is certainly impressive. Are you going to Green every head or will you make moulds/presses for the rest of the guys? Greening 60 Heads would drive me completely insane.

Rep for the Green

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the rep Borak:)

I do indeed have a press mould to get the basic shape before neatening it up and doing any additional details. I don't think I could stand to do each one individually either. One was quite enough work.

By the way, your tip about rivets. I think I'm going to do some, but I'm wondering what to use. I did consider plastic rod. What would you suggest?

Tonight I plan to make a start on the vox operator. I think he would look good kneeling down. I plan to start moulding a head, prepare his legs, and attach a suitable torso. It may be a day or two before I have anything worth showing, but I have a few other projects knocking around, so I may amuse you all with a few of them.

Thanks for sparing the time to have a look at my work people. More to come.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Further progress tonight. I've added some greenstuff to the next man's legs to from the bottom of his coat.

It took me a while to figure out exactly how it should look, due to it's slightly awkward position. In the end, I grabbed a tea-towel from the rack near to me, drapped it around my own legs and knelt down:p It helped a lot.With that finished, I will next be adding stuff like boots, webbing and his vox-set.

On a side note, here is a quick shot of my winter crusade badge.

They were giving these out at my local store for doing things like taking part in the painting contest and so on. I had left it too late to enter anything, but when I showed the manager my medic, he gave me one for 'services to green-stuffing':)

Keep watching for more updates people. If you've got the time, do please feel free to leave a comment. It is all appreciated.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Man I struggle just trying to keep the green stuff off my knife! Great work on these details, I bet that medic is going to look amazing when he has been dressed in his paintjob. I hate to think how long this will take though, good thing mechanised forces are a little lighter on the manpower, keep up the good work!

·
Master of the Universe
251 Posts
Man I struggle just trying to keep the green stuff off my knife! Great work on these details, I bet that medic is going to look amazing when he has been dressed in his paintjob. I hate to think how long this will take though, good thing mechanised forces are a little lighter on the manpower, keep up the good work!
Pretty much in direct agreeance with everything here.

Creativity +
Greenstuff +
Details +
Amount of work you might have to do -in regards to the whole army -

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
You really into this GS-stuff now, arn't you?
I can but welcome you to the finest part of the hobby indeed_)

A couple of tips to help you improve and make your models look even better.
My first is to use a scalpel. Not for sculpting the uncured GS (or not only anyway). Use it to cut the edges of things you've made.
If you look closely you'll notice how the GS tends to bulge a little while curing, making all the edges look slightly rounded. This really pops when you paint it later. But if you use a knife with a really sharp and small blade (a scalpel is perfect) you can carefully cut it into nice straight edges. It makes miracles to the finished piece.

I think you can find examples in my IG-diary. I'll get a link for you.

Next would be to start mixing the use of GS and plasticard/ plastic rods. When making big flat areas or tiny details try to use some other materials too. GS is good, but it's not the only material at our disposal.

The last tip of the day would be to work in layers a bit more than I think you do today. It's more than allright to make the folds of a piece of textile like the coat the day after you've made the actual coat. In many ways this is even better as you don't have to fear messing up what is already good.

I'll get back with that link, and until then keep it p mate:)

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
By the way, your tip about rivets. I think I'm going to do some, but I'm wondering what to use. I did consider plastic rod. What would you suggest?
The best (and cheapest) way i found of doing them was......... go to Tesco's and grab a water filter. They're only about £2. In these there are thousands of tiny little balls of varying sizes. Drill a small 'dent' where you want the rivet to go, put some glue in there and use some tweazers to place the ball in there. Easy.

Keep 'em coming dude. They're looking Great.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Red, Korona and BIGphil

Thanks guys. It's great to hear from you, and to know that you are following my work.

@Andusciassus

Thats some great advice:)

Very helpful of you, thank you very much. I will do my utmost to incorperate them into my work. I have had a go at one or two already-sort of. I use wire quite a bit in my conversions, but I will have to get into using other stuff of well.

@Borak

Awesome! Thats a brilliant idea. I will have to check it out. Thanks:D

Right, no pics tonight I'm afraid, as I've been very busy, but I am making progress with my radio man, and I will try to post some pics tomorrow. I hope to get his boots and webbing done by then. I have also taken his head out of the press-mould, and it doesn't look too bad. It will need tidying up however, and one or two things need to be added to it.

I am also gathering parts for the final member of the command squad: Two plasma gunners.

Thanks for all the encouragement guys.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts