Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on my Warhound, and I want to add strips of fabric similar to those seen on the Forge World Venerabe Dark Angels Dreadnought.

The prospect of doing this with green stuff seems prohibitively difficult, and prone to break easily. It was suggested that I could heat plasticard and bend it to the proper shape. Has anyone ever tried this? Or does anyone have a different suggestion on how to make these fabric strips for a titan-sized model?

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
Some things are really dificult to do with GreenStuff, but this one is not one of them mate:)

All you need is a little patience, a pair of rubbergloves maybe some vaseline. Oh, and greenstuff then.

Get a nice flat area on which you put one rather thin sausage of GS, make sure the area is wet/greasy.
Roll it (the GS) flat and let it cure for say 10-20 minutes.
Then use a sharp tool to cut the edges nice and sharp and to gently pry the GS loose from the workingarea, make sure you wear the gloves thin ones like they use in ... ... the customs0:

The last thing you do it to shape the blowing-wind-look, using a tool of some sort, ideally is if you can build something up to make sure the GS don't fall back to the flatness you've created earlier. One little support thing at the top and one bigger further down the scroll.

Then a little super glue on the Titan, where you want the scrolls to stick and put them there.

No problems, only fear can stop you;)

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
You could try using real paper, using thinned-down PVA glue to stiffen it.

As to heating plasticard, I've never tried it, but I'm told a hair dryer works.

Reactions: Cyric the Mad

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
I'ld GS it, plasticard could work but I have no idea how workble it would be. Milliput over a mesh frame is quite resiliant if you're worried about breakages, there's an idea for you.

·
Father of the Failed
1,170 Posts
I've never tried it before (GS always seemed the way to go), but I can't see the harm in giving it a shot.

I would go about it by cutting the plasticard into the basic shape you wanted the banner, then cut it up a bit to look a little tattered if thats the look you want. Heat it up somehow (a hairdryer or hot water) and carefully bend it into a flappy, wind-like flow over some metal rod/pencil/other similar object. You might need to repeat this heating-bending process several times to get the desired effect. I'm not sure how well it would turn out to be honest, but I can't see why trying it out would hurt.

You could also try bending it around a direct heat souce (a heated rod for example), but that'll provide you with some painful burns if you aren't careful.

The GS method described above does very well to make this sort of thing.

Hope it helps mate, let us know how you get on.

Rich.

·
KITTENS GIVE MORBO GAS!
3,922 Posts
I've had some success with a lighter(since you're painting it, scorching= no problem.
Something I've wanted to do is to get an old curling iron and use that as a hot-rod to bend the plasticard around.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I herd if you take a plastic bag and cut it into 2 large pieces sandwitch it in between two sheets of wax paper and iron it you get a plasicy cloth kind of thing, multiple sheets pasted together could be something useful.

·
Registered
602 Posts
if you're worried about it breaking, you could always get a sheet of brass/copper and hide it in a strip of GS...

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
755 Posts
I found a link a while ago about exactly what you are talking about, i am looking for it right now, i will let you know when i find it...

Like omg, only took me 45 minutes to find this, and the time seemed to go by fast, or i probably would not have spent so much time trying to find it!

Modeling Plastic Banners

Home this helps! it is a really cool tutorial!

(heh, maybe this time i should bookmark it!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.