Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still in process of gathering (or more like it, gluing and painting) my necron army and my 1500 point list is not quite yet finished. I am planning to field a good old Phalanx with one lord, huge pile of warriors and a squad of immortals. For the "cavalry wings" (flanks) I'm planning on taking Destroyers and (still pondering this) Flayed Ones.

However, should I take a pair of Heavy Destroyers? The STR9, AP2 shot seems like able to kill pretty much anything and you can zoom them around where they are needed fast, but 1W and small squad size (along with Heavy 1) makes me wonder if its just waste of 130 pts...

So what do you think about the heavier brothers of Destroyers? Are they worth their points are what is the best way to make them pay back what you pay them for?

·
1,880 Posts
I'm still in process of gathering (or more like it, gluing and painting) my necron army and my 1500 point list is not quite yet finished. I am planning to field a good old Phalanx with one lord, huge pile of warriors and a squad of immortals. For the "cavalry wings" (flanks) I'm planning on taking Destroyers and (still pondering this) Flayed Ones.

However, should I take a pair of Heavy Destroyers? The STR9, AP2 shot seems like able to kill pretty much anything and you can zoom them around where they are needed fast, but 1W and small squad size (along with Heavy 1) makes me wonder if its just waste of 130 pts...

So what do you think about the heavier brothers of Destroyers? Are they worth their points are what is the best way to make them pay back what you pay them for?
Yes, they're not very durable. T5 is nice, but yes 1 wound is easy to DROP the 1-3 you might bring thus denying you WBB. Points wise my buddy pointed out they might seem expensive, but I guess if you look at what other armies PAY for mobile lascannons...I guess it's fair, however since it's a WOUND and not a vehicle it hurts bad. I would say they're just easy to kill at those points per death it's painful.

If you take models it's not good to mix and match too much. Ensuring WBB is important, like if you take HD's I'd take 3-5 if you can, but personally I just Destroyer spam. I have 12 so far. It ensures they get their WBB. My buddy made a list that brought alot of threats to the table. It made the opponent PICK a target because they really kinda have to focus fire.

Deceiver
Monolith
10 Destroyers
5 Heavy D's
(rest warriors & such)

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
I find Heavy Destroyers to be of moderate usefullness. They are great to have around against armies with monstrous creatures, and can really tear up vehicles. However for their price their hit/damage reliability leaves something to be desired, also they aren't terribly tough. I try to have a couple in my lists just to help out with vehicle slaying, but they are very hit or miss (literally ).

·
Registered
406 Posts
For their mobile lascannon shot? Absolutely. For their single wound and risky WBB? Too expensive.
If GW lowered the points costs by 5 and made the cannon twin-linked, I'd be happy to pay for them.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For their mobile lascannon shot? Absolutely. For their single wound and risky WBB? Too expensive.
This is exactly my worry. Looking at my draft for army list I feel that I could need the STR9, AP2 punch-through-anything firepower against heavier monsters or vehicles, but at the same time I feel paying 65 points for 1 wound is quite risky tactic.

·
1,880 Posts
This is exactly my worry. Looking at my draft for army list I feel that I could need the STR9, AP2 punch-through-anything firepower against heavier monsters or vehicles, but at the same time I feel paying 65 points for 1 wound is quite risky tactic.
Honestly I do fine with 10 regular destroyers. Glancing a vindicator or whatever, even if it's just CAN"T shoot, is just fine. Plus I can pop transports just fine too. I won a match against mech guard who had like 8 vehicles and such. Even without my HD's. Remember your S9 AP3 monolith gets 2d6 take the highest on vehicles too. But has a chance to scatter...

Same issue just you either pay to get like 5 or don't take em at all. 2 or 3 is just easy to deny WBB. Even 5 is easy to deny WBB in 2 turns (or 1 turn if they really light you up).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts