Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,
i was wondering how many heavy destroyers do u use in ur armies, the codex armies use 3 but most say that 3 is just too much of st9 but how else would u take out high T creatures with multi wounds, eg. carnifex, wraithlord.

Destroyers are said to be better....... at tank hunting...... i ask why?

so i am wondering how many do u use and ur opinions on their effectiveness, i just dunno wat to get, i have 3 destroyers and i can get:

2 more normal destroyers and 1 heavy destroyer
1 more normal destroyer and 2 heavy destroyers
3 heavy destroyers

i just dunno which one and i need crons expert help. thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am not a Necron Expert but I will put in my opinion and why.

I would go with your Second Option: 1 more normal destroyer and 2 heavy destroyers

Three Heavy Destroyers is a lot of S9 shots and you will hopefully only need a couple to land and wound once. You need two of them to get there WBB roll, so 1 is not an option.

And the More Destroyers the better. 3 S6 shots a piece... sweet. all wounding on a 6 regardless of T. I roll with 5 destroyers and 1 heavy destroyer... because I am a cheap ***** and can't buy 1 more H Destroyer. Believe me every time he goes down I shoot myself in the foot. but typically just that 1 h destroyer does damage and accomplishes his mission for the short time he is on the board.

The tank hunting thing... I think becuase of the 3 shots v 1 shot... if the one shot misses.. then that is it... where as the 3 you will get at least 2 hits.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I prefer using heavy destroyers in a bigger game such as 1000-1500 in a squad of 2 as well as another squad of 3 destoryers, for example. But 3 destroyer shots vs 1 h.destro shot...hmmm I'll take the destroyers anyday.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wat about high T monsters, u have lots of shots with destroyers but something like a carnifex with 2+ armour save wont really do much.....

so its either 2 heavy destroyers and 1 normal or 3 heavy destroyers

anyone else give me advice... plz.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Let's put it this way. Say you field 2 squads of 3 destroyers, with each squad all targeting the Carnifex. That's 18 shots and a good portion of those shots, if not majority should hit the Carnie. Let's assume out of those 18 you hit 12 times. Now you roll 12 to wound dices. In this 12 there should be some 6s to guarantee automatic wound regardless of the Carnie's T value and hopefully the rest of the rolls will have wound rolls among them. Now how many armor saves does the Carnie have to make now? Basically just swarm him with rains upon rains of Gauss from your destroyers, surely he'll get some 1s.

Another tactic is to use Pariahs since their warscythes ignore armor saves but the real trick is getting a good number of Pariahs to the Carnie to be effective. I suggest if you do this just don't focus too much on the Carnie if you can while slowly but steadily advance through the Nid swarms until you get to reach the more powerful characters.

I'm still noob and still building my army so this is all I can think of...for now.

·
Registered
969 Posts
If you know anything about the Eldar, the destroyers are basically fast moving Starcannons. With that said, the destroyers are very anti-infantry, so use the heavies for tank-hunting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
........Starcannons are ap2 compared to ap4, there is a HUGE difference. As ap2 can kick marine asses and ap4 cant.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Surely this is hugely dependant on what you are fighting, using HDs allows the 'Bopping' of Vehicles and heavy armour, it allows other stuff to concentrate on other things, this is particularly relevent when you play a larger game and have a monolith, because that particle whip may be able to take out vehicles but it is at its best when dropping an ordinance template on powered armour or termie armour

·
Registered
70 Posts
I usually field 5 destroyers in a squad. most necron armies use monoliths,so i use that as my tank hunter. my lord also has a war scythe and a destroyer base, so i use him to tank hunt as well.

in the long run, destroyers are better the heavy Destroyers because most people would try and kill the heavies anyways.

if you need tank hunters or anti biggie units, i suggest getting pariahs and putthem with a lord who has a veil of darkness and a warscythe,also give the lord that item that gives him the invulnerable save(forgot what its called), but thatts your choice.
An to deal with shooty armies,like some eldar armies or IG get lots of destroyers, like 2 squads of 5, remeber the saying fight fire with fire :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
The pariahs still don't count as necrons = cannot benefit from any teleportation (veil of darknes, monolith etc.) It's taking a long time for this to sink in doesn't it? :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
<Ahem> I guess it's time for the expert to speak. <waits>............... Well I guess she isn't here today, so as her No.1 advisor, I guess I'll speak. Heavy dest's just never seem to pass muster in my army. They frequently miss, and ALWAYS die the first chance they get, never to return. Regular dest's seem to fare better in terms of accuracy and survivability, but seem to lack the necessary punch needed to take out the heavier armored things (like termies). I have found that a squad of 10 immortals make excellent Termie killers, freeing up my destroyers to kill "troops" type units. I often use my warriors to hunt tanks, as a unit or two of Gauss fire will usually drop anything. Scarabs to tie up annoying units till you can shoot them, and a Dest Lord, with Wraith retinue to hit whatever is left.

I guess what I'm saying is:
I NEVER use the heavies anymore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.