Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After downloading Imperial Armour 3: The Taros Campaign I decided to make 2 x Heavy Gun Drones from normal drones and burst cannons. I was wondering if anyone on here has had the chance of using them? Are they a viable unit based on their points cost?

Also would you set them up with a twin linked Burst Cannons or a single Burst Cannon and a Markerlight. Even though the Markerlight is free I don't think it is worth it because of the drone's low BS and the lack of the ability to shoot both weapons at once. I think they would be better under support from pathfinders, putting out a high volume of accurate fire.

I also was thinking two or three HGDs would be a good bodyguard unit for a Shas'El or Shas'O as they have the same toughness and a decent save.

Discuss....

·
Stirling
760 Posts
I have 4 heavy gun drones but found them to be not that useful. In my opinion if they had long barreled burst cannons I would use them or the option to have missile pods. Right now 3 have been used in conversions with plans for the 4rth to end up the same.

They just do not offer something unique in our army that can't be handled elsewhere more cost effectively.

·
Ancient Spacefarer
1,715 Posts
Agreed. Your only getting an additional toughness and some TL- Burst Cannons, not really that impressive when you factor in the large price, as FW does make the unit's points rather high than is considered 'balanced', they're cool models but nothing more than that in terms of tactical value. I'd stick with the shield drones for that added protection for your 'suits, though personally I only take shield drones on my XV88's.

Alternatively the best way to do this is to follow your hobby heart, if you want to try out the Heavy GD's then by all means do it, as it's only through your personal experience where you can find a play-style that suits you :). Hell, there's a member here on these forums who can make even Vespid work in a list!

As a wise man once said: "If you think you can or you can't, your right"

-Kai-Itza-

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, I just made them to be something interesting with games with my friends. I would not use them in any tournaments. I just had so many gun drones not being used to frequently.

·
Stirling
760 Posts
I agree with Kai, I always try new things out sometimes just for the giggles and to see if I can make a unit effective. Sides, forgeworld stuff usually can't be used in tournaments unless it is being used as a "counts as" or is a model for existing things like their broadsides. Half the fun of this game is collecting cool looking models and getting them painted up :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts