Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am pretty new to Tau, (about 5 battles) I have some suites, Fire Warriors, Stealth suites, a bunch of Kroot and three Hammerheads in my 2000 point list.

What I find is that my army has outstanding fire power with lots of St 5 and 6 weapons, but my army is not very good at taking out high armour tanks. I was suprised how often 2 or 3 Rail gun shots do nothing to an armour 14 tank.

In my last game I did manage to eventually kill one of my opponents 2 armour 14 tanks, but it was tough.

What do other people do/use?

·
391 Posts
Well railguns are a pretty good cure all but if your looking for a bit more tank popping i suggest putting Fusion blasters on your commanders.

Shas'el Plasma rifle,Fusion Blaster,Targetting array HW-Multitracker.

Thats a mean Sucker that can handle anything. including your tank busting issues.

·
391 Posts
2x1 FB equiped HQ's

2x2 FB Piranhas

1x3 BASS's

2x1 RH's

...That should do it!

Agreed all above is great at high armor popping.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well, the two main tank-busting weapons for the tau are clearly the Railgun and the Fusion blaster. I use both in my army, so i'll try and elaborate on each a bit further.

The railgun is probably the best weapon in 40k, just looking at its stat line. highest strength lowest ap, and great range mean it kills, literally. so taking the land rader as an example, you need a 4 to get a roll on the glancing hit table or a 5 or 6 to roll on the penetrating table. this gives you a relitively good chance of hurting it. (i cant be bothered doing the mathhammer right now, sorry). But The real advantage thet drew me to using them would have to be the huge range of the weapon, you can shot at a LR or monolith without having to worry about return fire.

Fusion blasters have a slightly weaker statline (2 less strength) but are a 'Melta' type weapon meaning they get 2D6+strength armour penetration when within half the weapon range (or is it 6 inches?). That 'melta type' is this weapons main advantage but getting them close to enough to use it can be tricky. Your best bet is probbaly Fusion armed Pirahnas, they have a high movement rate and thus can avoid a couple of turns of enemy fire.

If there is anything else you'd like me to elaborate on, dont hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Scott.

·
Stirling
760 Posts
Actually with a rail gun you need 4 or higher on your armor pen roll to get a penetrating shot. Don't forget it's AP 1.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well, the two main tank-busting weapons for the tau are clearly the Railgun and the Fusion blaster. I use both in my army, so i'll try and elaborate on each a bit further.

The railgun is probably the best weapon in 40k, just looking at its stat line. highest strength lowest ap, and great range mean it kills, literally. so taking the land rader as an example, you need a 4 to get a roll on the glancing hit table or a 5 or 6 to roll on the penetrating table. this gives you a relitively good chance of hurting it. (i cant be bothered doing the mathhammer right now, sorry). But The real advantage thet drew me to using them would have to be the huge range of the weapon, you can shot at a LR or monolith without having to worry about return fire.

Fusion blasters have a slightly weaker statline (2 less strength) but are a 'Melta' type weapon meaning they get 2D6+strength armour penetration when within half the weapon range (or is it 6 inches?). That 'melta type' is this weapons main advantage but getting them close to enough to use it can be tricky. Your best bet is probbaly Fusion armed Pirahnas, they have a high movement rate and thus can avoid a couple of turns of enemy fire.

If there is anything else you'd like me to elaborate on, dont hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
Scott.
haddatt got it right: Remember, the Railgun is AP1.

Also, melta weapons get 2D6 (instead of 1D6) at half range. With Fusion Blaster, the half-range is 6," but some non-Tau meltas have longer ranges.

Reactions: sctt_leggett

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
Markerlights and Seekers launched from Piranhas which have raced up the side of the table. Results in shots at side armour which usually has a lower rating than frontal (Land Raiders excepted). Nasty and unexpected shock for the tank owners.

E.

·
Stirling
760 Posts
Meltas are also ap 1. If you didnt know or forgot, ap1 means you always pen so long as you hit. so against the front armor of say a predator, which is 13, you just need a 13 armor pen roll and you got yourself a penatrating hit. Skimmers, smokes and obscurement can degrade the hit to glancing. But keep that in mind for your next game as you could down enemy armor faster using that rule.

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
Hadatt, AP1 does not mean that you penetrate so long as you hit.
The rest of your post is correct.

Basically, (this is not directed at Hadatt) do not mistake pulse rifles for heavy weapons. They are pretty strong, but not as strong as heavy weapons.

Reactions: haddatt

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
Hadatt, AP1 does not mean that you penetrate so long as you hit.
To clarify, if you equal the armour of a vehicle on the "to damage" roll with an AP1 weapon (for example a 4 rolled against a Landraider when shot with a STR10, AP1 Railgun), you get auto penetrating. This means you roll for damage on the penetrating hit table. Skimmers that have moved 6" or more in the last movement phase downgrade this to a glancing hit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Sorry, My appoligies to everyone for making this thread confusing with my original post.
And Thank you to haddatt, Illegal_Carrot and rikimaru for cleaning up my mess.

BOT; I would suggest 2 pihranas with fusion blasters and a seeker missile each. But not knowing your list well (ie at all) it might be better to arm some of your suits as Helious (fusion, Plasma, multi). I use this configuration with my commander and I find it can be quite effective against armour 10-13 veahicles. Although i am still reluctant to send him after anything bigger...

Thanks again,
Scott

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.