Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahem, first out i bought my starting Guard units about 10 days ago adn due to a heavy work scedule i haven't even mustered them together yet much less played a game, that being said i am a ork player and i have played against guard before but theres only 1 player at my shop(want to make it 2) and he doesn't have a hellhound, i wanted to use one as a fast hitting counter to any assulting units on my ranks, seeing as to how a super flamer would really own a buncha orks and nids due to the lack of armor and clustered ranks(usually), however in my Guard codex i noticed its not a fast vehicle even though its a fast attack option... that being said and done, heres my question before i ramble too much...

does the hellhound count as a fast vehicle? can i move 12" and still fire my flamer or am i limited to 6"? if so... why is it a fast attack option(if not just to fill a limited option roster, which i hope isn't true)

if its a normal slow tank i think i'll choose otherwise unless someone can convince me its Deff more usful than what i was planing to do with it

thx in advance ;Y

·
Registered
17 Posts
The Hellhound is NOT a fast vehicle. Thus in order to shoot you may only move 6 inches. I suppose it is in the fast attack section because for the Imperial Guard, anything that can move and still lay down a withering firestorm is a blessing. The Imperial Guard is a dangerously ponderous and un-maneuverable force that can be picked apart meticulously by a cunning opponent. Having a maneuverable firebase is very valuable.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Before i answer your post, 1 request. Full stops. Please. Use them. maybe not as much as i did there, but it helps us read it. Having an entire paragraph in one sentence is a right pain.

As to your question, the last guy beat me to it. He also made a good point, which is that fast attack for guard doesnt at all mean fast. It means mobile. Consider that the majority of the infantry in the army will be sitting still and shooting, and that theres a lot of reliance on imobile heavy weapons.
Hellhounds provide a good range anti swarm measure, that can move and respond as needed. If it has to it can even take on meqs with decent success, provided theres enough under the template. Sentinels too provide heavy weapons that can move as needed, which is invaluable. If an assaulter comes at them they can move back 6" and fire every turn, or they can pop out from behind a piece of cover and shoot their target without giving it the chance to shoot it first.
Neither of the two are fast by other armies standards, but they provide lots of move and shoot firepower. Which is a rarity for guard. Hence their use in fast attack.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
Hellhounds are great against almost any army, minus an all Terminator Deathwing one. Even MEQS are forced to take so many saves that they are worth it.

Against Ork, troop heavy Nids, Other IG, Eldar(s), they are absolutly devestating and will get targeted fast. That is why I take 2.;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, I mean what other weapon in the game gets to roll to hit after it misses.

·
517 Posts
Yeah, I mean what other weapon in the game gets to roll to hit after it misses.
Well, let's see... Twin linked Lascannons, Twin linked Heavy Bolters, Twin linked Assault Cannons... I could go on.

I really don't know what you're talking about with it rolling to hit after missing. The Flame template eithter hits or misses. That's it.

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
no, it's partials if you miss, so you roll one die to hit with flamer template. if you hit, everything is hurt, no partials.
if you miss, then everything under counts as a partial instead so you roll to hit each model separately then.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts